Why become a member? ×

Just seen the Police

poptart

Well after a twenty five year wait I finally got to see the Police perform live. The gig at the NIA in Birmingham was amazing - the sound was really good and very clear without being overpowering (shame about the bass end, all those standing waves) and the stage/light show was fantastic. The stage set up was really minimal - only the three musicians on stage but the lighting and screens were absolutely brilliant with live camera feeds up on the screens with live editing and effects - wow.

And the band - well I was impressed, the playing was immaculate - Copeland was just the biz, Andy Summers played some really tasty solos and Sting is the man, great vocals and solid bass playing (even if it was a battered old fender and you could not really hear it more feel it) and he looked like he did 20 years ago!

They are on again tonight and I believe at Wembley. If you can - GO!

10/10 - and I am a huge critic of Arena Shows!

[quote name='Shaggy' post='56169' date='Sep 5 2007, 06:58 PM']Saw them 28 years back. Still the best stuff Sting ever did, as with Paul Weller with the Jam - two of the all-time great 3-piece bands.[/quote]

Agreed - and I am off to see Rush in a few weeks, probably the other "best" three piece band in the world with the Police and the Jam IMO.

I wonder if Weller would ever reform the Jam..........

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='56381' date='Sep 6 2007, 10:05 AM']Good to hear...I'm seeing them in Cardiff in October....got the tickets yesterday.

I hadn't heard about Maximo park being support....I think Cardiff's is Fiction Plane that crappy band that Sting's son is in[/quote]

Fiction plane were ok - the singer sounded like Sting - now I know why!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='56633' date='Sep 6 2007, 06:09 PM']yeah the police were outside our house yesterday checking out a toyota celica. Oh right you mean THAT police? haha wow cool. I think they are a really gr8 band and its's good to see they've reformed.[/quote]

Yep - I told my mum that I had seen the Police the night before - the phone went quiet............

I cannot tell you how good they were!

I'm going to be a bit controversial here and say that whilst I wholeheartedly agree the Messers Sting (Hmmm!) and Copeland were the biz, I really wasn't that impressed with Andy Summers. His rhythm playing was nice and solid, but his solos were -I hate to say it- a bit lame. My mate, who's also a bit of a muso, felt the same. He just seemed to be a bit out of his depth. I got the distinct feeling that whilst we all know Sting's kept himself busy and it would seem that SC has done the same, Andy Summer looked like he was a bit out of practice and when I've just paid £65 for a ticket I really don't expect the musicians to come across like that. On the whole it was a very good show though; Copeland and Sting were just great!

Also The Jimi Hendrix Experience, ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble…….. Emerson Lake & Palmer……(OK, maybe not). Cream has to top the list tho’
It’s a great format when it works, and many times I’ve wished I could sing when looking for vocalists for bands.
Back to the Police – is it all the hits, or any new stuff?

[quote name='Shaggy' post='56828' date='Sep 7 2007, 09:11 AM']Also The Jimi Hendrix Experience, ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble…….. Emerson Lake & Palmer……(OK, maybe not). Cream has to top the list tho’
It’s a great format when it works, and many times I’ve wished I could sing when looking for vocalists for bands.
Back to the Police – is it all the hits, or any new stuff?[/quote]

We had this conversation at the gig, and yes Cream was mentioned - I was thinking more about 70s/80s bands though, but point taken :)

It was a superb selection of their back catalogue - and the presentation and arrangements were top notch. It must be great for them to have come back after such a loing time as they must really notice the difference with all the modern sound lighting, in ear monitoring, led sreens and lighting etc.

They really looked like they were enjoying too, and Stingg said at the end that they would be back? I wonder what he meant, new album or just another reunion tour!?!?!?!?!?!