Why become a member? ×

Help - wearing the skin away on my right wrist!

nick

Having played in a few metal and death bands I've had years of smashing it with the pick.

The technique on our instrument can be compared with martial arts - if you keep getting punched in the face, might be time to change tactic. :-)

Putting on a sweatband is like patching up a hole in the roof with cardboard - it will hold for a while, but ultimately, you could spend a little time refining your playing technique, avoid this problem and I guarentee you'd be a better player for.

We all love this instrument and I'm sure we'd like to play it as much as we can, for as long as we can.

We have to find a way of getting the notes out where the instrument doesn't fight us.

When playing, you can create power through intensity and controlled, precise movement.

Think of the difference between a ninja and a football hooligan. Both can do damage, but my money's on the ninja.

I've always liked ninjas.

Hope this helps,

Dave

I'd say that's good advice!

However, I received the same advice "change your technique" when I went to see a physio clinic thing about an RSI in my wrist. I really can't think of ways to change the way I play that will benifit my wrist. Are there websites around? Or tutorials and things? I have been playing quite a long time, and used to teach guitar, and thought my bass techniques were ok but..... obviously not.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='58792' date='Sep 11 2007, 03:47 PM']I'd say that's good advice!

However, I received the same advice "change your technique" when I went to see a physio clinic thing about an RSI in my wrist. I really can't think of ways to change the way I play that will benifit my wrist. Are there websites around? Or tutorials and things? I have been playing quite a long time, and used to teach guitar, and thought my bass techniques were ok but..... obviously not.[/quote]

This has been posted before, but i'm sure the original poster would'nt mind it going up again, maybe a sticky.

[url="http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html"]http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html[/url]

[quote name='Davemarks' post='58783' date='Sep 11 2007, 04:27 PM']Think of the difference between a ninja and a football hooligan. Both can do damage, but my money's on the ninja.[/quote]

Depends... How many ninjas start riots and throw stones in large groups :) lol

MB1. :)

A wristlet Sweatband will cure this problem,available from most sports shops,washable too,just make sure theyre not too tight.Short of this try a round the world transatlantic yacht race!.Cant guarantee the latter will help, but it should give your band enough time to find another bassist!...

[quote name='Sean' post='59087' date='Sep 12 2007, 08:00 AM']I have a scar on my arm from playing a Fender Telecaster guitar for years. I used to gaffer tape a peice of paper or an old set list to my arm and that seemed to do the trick.[/quote]

Thats what you get for playing guitar mister :)

[quote name='Davemarks' post='59303' date='Sep 12 2007, 02:47 PM']I find it worrying that people say a sweatband will cure the problem. It's not a cure - it may prevent certain undesirable symptoms but in the long term, you could be doing yourself a very grave disservice.... Fixing your technique will cure the problem.[/quote]
Unfortunately, due to sustaining a major injury to my right elbow, I can't play without resting my wrist on the bass. So a sweatband has cured the problem for me.
As it is, I had to change my technique radically if I was to carry on playing (took a while mind you)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='56600' date='Sep 6 2007, 05:00 PM']It sounds like you may benefit from trying "economy of movement". Turn the amp up and let it do the grunt work. Hammering into the bass probably doesn't do your speed, tone or accuracy any favours.

I play fingerstyle only these days, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about regarding pick playing....[/quote]

I only play with a pick, and I don't think that there are any easy answers to your predicament. Digging in with the pick can create some awesome sounds, so saying 'don't dig in and let the amp do the work' isn't really an answer - everyone plays different ways and for many different reasons!

I tend to to play really close to the bridge, and anchor my right hand to the body just above the strings - letting my fingers do all the work with the pick. it works great for me but I've seen loads of pick exclusive players who play in a completely different way.

i sometimes get that thing where I get blisters on my index finger from it brushing it against the E string, there's no easy answer - taping it doesn't feel right, over time my fingers have hardened sufficiently that it isn't a problem for me.

The only advice that I can give is adopt your natural playing position and try and make concious but very small positions to your playing style - over time it will feel much easier to make the transition.

Failing that, buy a new guitar with a heavily tapered body area so that it is comfortable to play :) :huh:

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='57610' date='Sep 9 2007, 03:44 AM']Hey Nick

how's it going?[/quote]

OK thanks, had computer problems.

Did a gig & tried wristband; it kept moving around, sliding up & down - I have quite thin wrists. Wound got worse - my son reckons I've now got lepresy!:)
I like the height of my bass as it is (below the waist). So I think I'm going to relearn/alter my technique. In the meantime, I'm having to back to fingers for all our songs until my injury heals!
I've suffered minor abrasions in the past, but nothing as bad as this. I think this is partly down to having an excellent new drummer, he keeps me on my toes - bastard :huh: As a result, sometimes the whole rythmn section might be going a little bit too full on!
I bet Dee Dee Ramone never had this problem.

Thanks to everyone for advice & tips.

[quote name='Dusty' post='56594' date='Sep 6 2007, 04:53 PM']....I tend to suffer now with a blister on the side of the thumb after each gig, caused i expect from the way i hold the pick and it rubbing against the E string. I've tried plasters, but they look a bit silly! Any ideas on this problem ?[/quote]
Coat the affected area in superglue just before your play (leave enough time for it to dry). The superglue will most likely have worn off by the end of the gig leaving your skin intact.