Why become a member? ×

MARK BASS

Nate

I was working for CORT at the London Guitar Show and was kindly allowed to try some of the Mark Bass gear. Had a go on their new F1 amp....

I was very impressed. I'm not much of a gear head but I know what I like.

What are your views?

i'm sure theres another thread with this subject but what the hell...!!

If your bored enough to want to see me play -

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0[/url]

I love MB stuff! I use a TA503 and it's the first ever amp I can say I'm 100% happy with. I'm a fussy bugger when it comes to amps!

Just watched that you tube vid, that's some tasty finger tapping :)

Edited by thumbo

That has to be one of the most fancy, yet tasteful pieces of playing I've ever seen and that's not BS'ing you. A fantastic mix of melody with rhythm. It makes such a refreshing change to see someone not trying to prove they're a great player by playing slap licks at 1000mph.

Hat's off to ya' fella!

At risk of being in the minority, I wasn't that impressed with it. It sounds fine with a jazz bass but with my Smiths it sounds rubber bandy. Not dissing anyone who likes it though, it was just too coloured for my needs.

BTW: Very impressive playing there Sir!

[quote name='Nate' post='4378' date='May 22 2007, 02:31 PM']I was working for CORT at the London Guitar Show and was kindly allowed to try some of the Mark Bass gear. Had a go on their new F1 amp....

I was very impressed. I'm not much of a gear head but I know what I like.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0[/url][/quote]

Any difference soundwise between the F1 and their analogue PA models (LMK LMII etc.)?

Apparently you can make this new F1 sound like many of the others... (so I was told) I think Paolo (from Proel - Mark bass distributor) saw I wasn't much of a gear head and tried to baffle me slightly...!!!

He also looked under the F1 amp I was trying and mentioned there was a fault with it and it needed sending back. wasn't sure why there was a faulty amp on show but I thought it sounded great!! I put everything on flat and saw what sounds I could get out of it just using the bass - was very impressed. Check out the cort A5 and GB74. I'm sure you'll like...!

Thanks again for the kind comments!!

Edited by Nate

nice video!

I've tried MB a couple of times and I must say that I'm not that impressed.
- I had a 102Traveller cab for a while but I found that it sounded very boxy compared to other neo cabs
- I have also used one of the combos at a couple of gigs (at The Bedford in London) and I have never been able to get a decent sound from that one with the exception of my pbass with flats at one of the gigs.

maybe it's just no my cuppa...

carl

I have heard two gigs when MB has been used. One got a good sound out of his MB rig and the other got a terrible sound. I have also tried a 2x10 and 4x10 at the Bass Centre and didn't like them much. The LMK sounded good though but only when running both channels together.

Hi folks. Following on from another thread, I have in the last day or so been able to have a good thrash on some MarkBass gear. I love quite a PA sound to my set up and really struggled to get anything like it out of the amps and cab combinations I tried. Now, I'm not being negative about the gear, as I have heard combinations that other people make sound great. Homer's MB head and Aggie cabs he used to have sounded DEEEP! - but I just could get them to to clarity for me.. so they have fallen off my shopping list.

Think I'm gonna have to try a few more before I spend...

I had a go on Laney's new bass stuff at the guitar show - didn't really like any of it. It weighed more then a house.

I think my next purchase will be between EBS and MARK. Think MARK has the edge at the minute...

heres my video again (shameless..!) [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wG71TR2_0[/url]

I went back to the MB head after using the Thunderfunk for a couple of weeks (buyer came to try out/collect) and I was surprised at how mellow the MB tone was. With everything set flat, it was a lot more forgiving than the TF. The LMK and SA450 are still fresh in my mind and I have to say they sound great and I really do rate them but in a gig situation where the backline is the main sound source for the band the MB heads were very full sounding but didn't cut through (not a criticism). Sometimes an amp needs a bit more edge to cut through, many regular gigging bassists may (or may not) agree that the sound you think you want to hear isn't always the best one for a band setting (how many of us have mid scooped and taken off top end only to find the bass can't be heard by the punters. Sometimes a bit of extra top end or mid is required and though it can be added to the MB sound it isn't inherent in the core tone!

Just my view.

[quote name='Nate' post='4378' date='May 22 2007, 01:31 PM']I was very impressed. I'm not much of a gear head but I know what I like.

What are your views?[/quote]

+1

I've currently got a Markbass Little Mark F-Series L.E. Paired up with an ebs 4x10.

Sweetest setup I've ever had.

At this moment in time, there's no other amp Giving me GAS. The MB Provides and Delivers.

I'll say again- I'm a tube amp NUT- have been ever since Dad bought me my 1st amp when I was 13. in 1976! But I recently bought a MB LMIIfor these reasons....
1.Great price
2. Great sound & range of sounds
3. Great power
4. Well made
5. light & small
6. matches up with my Aguilar GS112 perfectly(300w @ 8ohms) & sounds AWESOME with my EUB.
7. as its SO well made, so powerful & small size & weight-it can be a FANTASTIC back up amp if ever needed.
8. I can carry AMP/Spkr cab/leads/ EUB-all in ONE trip from car!
9. SOUNDS GREAT- OK this is a repeat od No.2 BUT as an old Valve guy-this amp IMPRESSES!

+1 for what Jimbo said.

However, remember that one persons neutral/colourless is another's sterile/boxy and a description of full sounding could equally be described as muddy!

Dang, why can't we do as EVH did and describe it in shades/tones of colour? I like chocolatey brown with a dash of fresh cream.