Why become a member? ×

Squier VMJ dilema

andy_$$

Right, apologies if this gets a bit long winded, but I'm struggling to make my mind up about this one.
Was in Sound Control in Glasgow today and saw and played fretted VMJ. I'm planning on getting one of these when I get paid next Thursday anyway.
My problem is two fold and begins here. The bass I played today had a one piece body and looked nicer than the one's which I have previously played. It's £249, here the cheapest I've seen it on the internet is £209. So should I pay the extra £40 for the cosmetic advantage, or should I risk a two/three piece body from the internet, and spend the extra money on a case?
I should also add that I have previously vowed not to shop in Glasgow Sound Control again due to some particularly arrogant and rude staff, but that's another story. (Or two!) Is a good looking bass a good enough reason to shop in a poor shop!? Is £40 not a lot extra to pay for a more aesthetically pleasing instrument?!
Any opinions would be gratefully received!
Cheers,
Andy

make em an offer.
sound control presumably make enough margin to try and match a price (albeit an internet one) if they're going to guarantee a sale. if you go in with cash the worst they can do is say no.

I'm with you on that I've pretty much vowed never to buy anything from sound control anywhere ever again (unless I have to!!)

Andy

I seriously had a look at one of these as a back up. Cracking value.

In the past, Sound Control here in Newcastle have generally tried to price match with SoundsLive who have their shop just round the corner - and vice versa.

Won't do any harm to ask if they will price match - if they don't I'll be surprised if you don't at least some money off. Nowt to lose.

John

Ask them to price match. Sound Control Edinburgh have done it for me (got about £40 off a multitrack recorder) and have knocked a few quid off several other items, including a 5-string and an SM58 mic, just because I brass-necked it & asked.

Definitely ask, take in the URL of the online shop so they can check it. Even if they don't take the full £40 off, they'll likely come down a bit.

Jon.

As has been said before, haggle! They will probably try the old "we have a shop and staff to pay for, line" but show them somewhere that is also a bricks and mortar shop selling to the general public and they will come down. If they don't come down the £40, get a strap/cable/set of strings/whatever thrown is as well as the smaller discount.

Edited by nedsbeds

Thanks guys. I'll go in and see them tomorrow and see what they say. Only problem is, it's difficult to haggle in a shop where the staff are more concerned at putting stock away, or talking to their friends on the phone, than actually speaking to their customers!
I'll let you know what happens!
Just remembered it's a 5 week month for me too, bloody NHS! Looks like Mr Visa may have to sub me again.

i've got so much vitriol about shopping in places like that!
PMT on the other hand are thoroughly bloody nice blokes who are more than happy to negotiate a discount (obviously some of their stuff is still wildly more expensive than seems really necessary, but I blame the distributor/manufacturer for the price setting)

MB1. :)

If they cant match the price you want to pay, mention the net deal of £209, then mention the case, then mention there price, then flash the cash.that should work on some kind of deal.put it this way they wont be happy if you walk,theyve gotta pay the wages for all there pleasant staff.

MB1

Sound Control in Milton Keynes did mine for £215 inc a set of Dunlop Straplocks. Ask them what their best price is, then get them to throw in a freebie - strings/straplock/lead etc. Always buy the best you can find or you'll regret it later!!

Ended up getting one in Guitar Guitar. Went into Sound Control and the guy obviously couldn't be arsed talking to me, so I just left. I really can't be doing with their attitude in there.
Got a reasonably good deal, and a conversation from the salesman, so I'll be going back!
Thanks for your input!
Andy

Just put an East pre in mine - gigged it tonight and it sounded real good. Man - that neck is sooooo fast - not sure if it's the satin finish, but it feels slimmer than my other jazzes. Had to rout the body slightly to get the pre in, but well worth it. Next.....maybe a badass - don't think it really needs it but hey.......!