Why become a member? ×

stock pickups ok?

er20ic

I am thinking about buying a Fender Geddy Lee as a first bass ('mature' player cnanging from guitar) because it is reported to be good and have a slim neck. I am a bit confused after reading of all the players who have changed the pickups to improve their instrument. Would I be wanting to do this soon? Should I be looking at one of the Ibanez or Yamahas with these pickups as standard? I've got an Ashdown 300 ABM head and am looking at a Markbass 1x15 Traveler cab (trying to keep it light).

While I don't own a Geddy Lee, I've heard enough about them on this board (They're loved...alot), I'd probably not think about changing them for awhile if I got one, if at all.

As it's going to be your first bass, I'd keep it stock unless you're really really unhappy with the sound coming out of it, and even then pedals and other items like preamps can be more benefical than changing pups.

And just because "lots" of people might have modded it for a certain brand, the tone/sound is subjective and entirely up to you, like most guitar modifications.

Edited by Buzz

I haven't tried the Geddy Lee, but others on the board seem very happy with theirs. Plenty of people swap out the pickup of Fenders, though there are just as many (if not more) who use the stock ones - just like some people swap pickups on strats to get a sound they prefer. It's down to a matter of taste and the sound you're after.

If it's your first bass you should try getting down to a shop with a decent stock and try out as many as you can. They're all going to to feel and sound different, and it may be that you prefer the feel of a wider neck. If the Geddy Lee feels good to you and has the sound close to what you're looking for there's no harm in checking round for a pickup that will provide more of what you want, but don't close you're ears to other basses. Just like guitars, finding a bass that does what you want can be a long process.

Hi er20ic,

I have a Geddy I have to say it's the only bass I haven't modified. ( apart from a pick guard ) It has it's own sound It's gritty , punchy and bright. Comes with a Badass bridge, super slim neck which is very comfortable. The bass itself is not heavy at all very comfortable in a gig situation. All in all it's a very good bass If you decide to get one keep it in it's stock condition for a while see how you get along. When ever the Geddy pops up in a thread I always pipe up :) they really are a very nice bass.

Edited by Jase