Why become a member? ×

"Stingray" with P Pickup

Sean

Last night (Friday) the bass player in the band band on Jonathan Ross' show had a Stingray with a P pick up in it. The bass was white with maple neck, had the classic stingray shape and chrome crescent control plate with three knobs, 3 +1 headstock and what looked like the usual EB MM Stingray logo on the headstock. The pick up was a proper split p-type and in the proper P bass position i.e. no obvious holes or hack marks where an MM used to be.

Anyone know anything about these? I've certainly never seen one before.

I didn't see it, but...

Was the scratchplate still on it?
If so, is it possible that they've routed the body to take a split "P" and had a new scratchplate cut to cover the evidence?

Failing that, a new body blank made for a "P" but still set up for all the original hardware would also do the trick. I reckon a luthier would knock that up for about £400 or so.

[quote name='Sean' post='57427' date='Sep 8 2007, 05:06 PM']Last night (Friday) the bass player in the band band on Jonathan Ross' show had a Stingray with a P pick up in it. The bass was white with maple neck, had the classic stingray shape and chrome crescent control plate with three knobs, 3 +1 headstock and what looked like the usual EB MM Stingray logo on the headstock. The pick up was a proper split p-type and in the proper P bass position i.e. no obvious holes or hack marks where an MM used to be.

Anyone know anything about these? I've certainly never seen one before.[/quote]

For the love of God...Why?

[quote name='martthebass' post='57457' date='Sep 8 2007, 06:17 PM']So why not buy a P, or an active P or a custom P?

Butchering a poor defensive 'Ray like that. It's inhuman.[/quote]

Rays are great quality and hang less on reputation and more on merit. They also have quite a different neck, quite. And he likes the P pickup, like me :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='57475' date='Sep 8 2007, 06:52 PM']They also have quite a different neck, quite...[/quote]
They are very playable and hang differently than P's and J's. I love playing my Ray but don't always like the tone. A P-Ray would be a great new axe.

Cheers,

[quote name='SJA' post='57842' date='Sep 9 2007, 06:38 PM']the guy in the Stereophonics also hacked around a Stingray- took the MM pickup out and had 2 J's put in, with a new pickguard.
then he sold it to the Bass Centre- and started playing Jazzes :)[/quote]

yeah i was gonna mention that, he used it in one of their old videos (1000 trees maybe?) and i always thought it was quite neat!!

peace

c

[quote name='TPJ' post='58117' date='Sep 10 2007, 11:59 AM']They are very playable and hang differently than P's and J's. I love playing my Ray but don't always like the tone. A P-Ray would be a great new axe.

Cheers,[/quote]

I always thought a PJ-Ray or even a stu hamm style JPJ-Ray would be a rather cool instrument. Or go the whole hog and have the MM pup AND the P pup. Now there's some tones I'd like to hear!

On a side note.. I really love those #all black' OLP MM's. Black hardware, black paint job, matching headstock and the pearly pick guard. Just looks 'right' ;o)

[quote name='dood' post='58147' date='Sep 10 2007, 12:39 PM']Or go the whole hog and have the MM pup AND the P pup. Now there's some tones I'd like to hear![/quote]
:)
Imagine the two pups full on!

Now there's a great project for someone...

Any takers?

I still think a MM + P would be more intresting than a deluxe P. WOuld be a cool project anyhow. Problem is the pickups are fighting for position. A P in place of where the single J sits in the H/S? Would that really capture the Precision tone?

BTW, that video creeps me out somehow... There's something wrong, and it's not the Stingray Precision, I can't put my finger on it. My opinion of course!

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

[quote name='paul, the' post='58404' date='Sep 10 2007, 07:43 PM']The Precision Deluxe has been around for a while.[/quote]

Hmm, yes. I tried a Deluxe P a couple of years ago but didn't like the feel or sound of it. Sandberg have being doing a similar thing for ages too but they don't have the "it" factor.

I think the guy had the right idea sticking a P-bass pickup on it. All he needs to do now is change the useless MM preamp, and he may end up with a reasonable bass!! Anything over a stock SR will be an improvement. Only kidding - I've had two, and never found them cut through the mix in a gig situation. Great at home on their own.

[quote name='dood' post='58147' date='Sep 10 2007, 12:39 PM']I always thought a PJ-Ray or even a stu hamm style JPJ-Ray would be a rather cool instrument. Or go the whole hog and have the MM pup AND the P pup. Now there's some tones I'd like to hear![/quote]

Or... Shove a Humbucker up at the base of the neck, and leave the "P" where it is...
Hang on! Yamaha already do the "Attitude"!!! :)

[quote name='dood' post='58147' date='Sep 10 2007, 12:39 PM']*SNIP* Or go the whole hog and have the MM pup AND the P pup. Now there's some tones I'd like to hear! *SNIP*[/quote]

Precisely!

that's what I'm building (more like putting together, with a lot of hard work) at the moment.

The base is a P-body, holes (Not Split-P holes) filled and re-routed for a Sandberg like PM configuration, topped off with a Jazz neck and a clear Stingray pickguard.

I'm hoping it will have some major ballsies for those thumpier sounds we crave.