Why become a member? ×

"Stingray" with P Pickup

Sean

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='58976' date='Sep 11 2007, 09:25 PM']Yeah, but unless it's really sh*t, I don't mind usually. Here, I felt strangely compelled to watch it. They must be on drugs. That's what being on a cocktail of Prozac and crack must feel like.[/quote]

I quite like it. It's quirky and I like quirky.

• 1 month later...

Why would for the love of God butcher a music man stingray by putting in P-bass pickups in it.....?

Because I'm a tweaker and I'm rarely satisfied with *stock*. I always found the sound of the stingray with the orignial pick up to be way too brittle sounding and seemed to really accentuate the fret noise. And even with the on board active 3 band eq, I never felt I could get the midrange I was looking for. My feeling was the pickup placement (being more towards the bridge) didn't help these flaws. I love the feel of the stingray, but love the sound of a P-bass. Call me crazy, but I just had to somehow make the two come together.

Regards,

Mark

[quote name='mistermark' post='86886' date='Nov 11 2007, 02:55 PM']I love the feel of the stingray, but love the sound of a P-bass. Call me crazy, but I just had to somehow make the two come together.

Regards,

Mark[/quote]
That's that one settled then!

I say good one for doing something different with a bass, instead of just adding stock upgrades. A P-pickup on a stingray would give a better positioned thumbrest, certainly for me anyway.

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='58976' date='Sep 11 2007, 08:25 PM']Yeah, but unless it's really sh*t, I don't mind usually. Here, I felt strangely compelled to watch it. They must be on drugs. That's what being on a cocktail of Prozac and crack must feel like.[/quote]
Certainly made me think they might be on a bit of marching powder.

The other thing I found disturbing was that I couldn't quite escape the impression that they'd just finished a parents am-dram production at the local middle school...

...or both? Now that conjures up a creepy story...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='58893' date='Sep 11 2007, 06:02 PM']The music is sh*t :)[/quote]

It's the Age of Aquarius for this century, featured flute and pretentious big chorus line and all. Except that the Age of Aquarius had stonking Joe Osborne flatwound bass licks.

Edited by synaesthesia