Why become a member? ×

New Bass Lines To Learn?

bass_in_ya_face

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='58305' date='Sep 10 2007, 05:06 PM']I fancy some Sly Stone stuff...any particular tracks?[/quote]
Check out Bobby Vega on Bassplayer tv. Great tracks are "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" and "Sing A Simple Song". Check out Essential Sly & Family Stone. A 2 CD set which includes most of the good 'uns.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='57778' date='Sep 9 2007, 04:06 PM']3. Get a teacher! I've been playing for 18 months now. I hit a wall around Xmas, looked about, found a guy young enough to be my son but he knows what he's doing, and my technique has improved with astonishing speed[/quote]

Same happened to me, I was going nowhere but then I got a bass teacher, and now I am a hell of a lot better than I was before.

[quote name='punksoul257' post='57739' date='Sep 9 2007, 02:40 PM']Rush - YYZ

Not an intermediate song, but what a bassline.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iONLKn5VHY4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iONLKn5VHY4[/url][/quote]

I have to say i've been exploring a bit of Rush over the last couple of days and this song is pretty amazing...I knew Geddy Lee was good but this is just fabulous.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='57702' date='Sep 9 2007, 12:44 PM']I'd love to wife + kids + 20 years too late...say no :)[/quote]
It's never too late. I had a 25 year break from playing and in my former life played guitar. Will hit 60 in 2 years and started seriously playing Bass 2 years ago and now hold down the bottom end in 2 bands.
Have never enjoyed my self so much. (Retiring early may have helped :huh: )

Ditto to "it's never too late".

I'm in my 40's, played for my last band about 20 years ago and then nothing since. In 3 weeks' time I'm auditioning for a similarly aged covers band, playing pop and light rock sort of stuff from the 70's onwards. I also have a wife, 2 kids (6 and 11) and a demanding job based 30 miles from home - but I've just got to do this otherwise I'll go to my grave saying "if only....."

Since I started playing again a couple of years ago after a hiatus of several years, I've taken it a lot more seriously - practicing more, learning scales etc instead of just noodling and I'm a much better player than I used to be. I've now got the urge to put this to the test. In terms of fitting it round all the other commitments, the band only plays a maximum of 2 gigs a month and when rehearsing it'll only be 1 night a week, so 1 night out a week isn't a lot to ask.

The band have asked me to work on 4 tracks -

"Sweet Home Alabama" Lynyrd Skynyd (quite challenging if played properly)
"Stuck in the middle with You" Stealers Wheel (Again, I'll have to work to play this properly)
"When You're Gone" Bryan Adams (No problems envisaged here)
"Soak Up the Sun" Sheryl Crow (No probs. here either)

The first 2 tracks are ones that whilst I've obviously heard them many times before, I've never previously felt the need to learn them. So this is one example of how being in a band could push you to new levels and thereby progress your playing.

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='punksoul257' post='57739' date='Sep 9 2007, 02:40 PM']Rush - YYZ

Not an intermediate song, but what a bassline.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iONLKn5VHY4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iONLKn5VHY4[/url][/quote]

I was at that gig. Birmingham NEC late 80s. I managed to spot me and the girl I was seeing at the time in a crowd shot during the second chorus of Turn The Page. This nearly 20 years ago. Bloody hell I'm getting old