Why become a member? ×

Engineering drawings

Hi i am in the lucky position of having a friend who deals in laser and water cutting, I am currently building a SG shaped bass for a set of dark star pickups although i don't really like the body shape it was cheap. This got me thinking the hard part about building a bass body is the routing of neck pockets and pickup holes.....The plan is to get him to cut me some routing templates with the pickup,neck and bridge all lined up so i can plonk it on a blank and route it/drill it in one hit

So.........has anybody got any bass guitar engineering drawings , fender neck pockets , p and j pickups and any others would be useful along with distances ie end of neck pocket to p-pickup rout ....bridge screw holes spacing/ distance...

cheers steve norris

There used to be a guy advertising plans on eBay a while back, in fact I bought some P Bass plans off him which my in-build project is based on. Unfortunately, I am away from home until the weekend, but if you can wait, I'll pm you his email address.

However, in the case of neck pockets, I find it best to scribe the neck pocket from the actual neck I am going to use, as manufacturing tolerances mean the actual neck you get can be as much as 0.5mm wider (or narrower!) than the designed dimension.

An alternative, if you have access to a SG bass body. Could be get a 3d scan made of a real SG body by a 3D Bureau. They will be able to convert it to a 3D model suitable for sending to a milling machine.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='4990' date='May 23 2007, 11:01 AM']An alternative, if you have access to a SG bass body. Could be get a 3d scan made of a real SG body by a 3D Bureau. They will be able to convert it to a 3D model suitable for sending to a milling machine.[/quote]

well i have an SG body already finished and routed for darkstars, really it's just a test bed for the pickups, I'm not overly keen on the SG body shape and thought i might make a body, if i can get some dimensions i can get routing templates made up for a few different pickup configurations. What i need are dimension such as hole spacing for the bridge screws, bridge screw holes to start of neck pocket and dimensional drawings of various routs for pickups, not having a lot of luck of luck finding these, I should be able to make these available to anyone else who needs them also