Why become a member? ×

13 string bass

metalmaniac

This little beauty's been discussed before.

It's made of pine - loads of lovely big knots in the wood.
He strung it with strings that were only 0.05" apart in guage (120,115,110,105... you get the gist) I'm surprised the neck hasn't just folded in two - I bet it's nice and warped though.

Fair play to the guy for attempting such an ambitious project, but face it, the instrument's fundamentally flawed in design and execution.

what a fantastic bit of bass-making, id certainly part with my hard earned money for one of ones, and whilst im my wallets open ill have one of those chocolate fire-guards too.

seems im not his only fan...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJA9LmAKy4&mode=related&search="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJA9LmAKy4...ted&search=[/url]

That is possibly the worst "instrument" (if you can call it that) that I have ever seen.

Not only would it be unplayable, but it looks HIDEOUS. So if it's strung in 0.05 guages apart, that means there can't be that big an interval between open strings...So what's the tuning? B C C# D D# E etc?

Bloody idiot. You've successfully spent months and months doing f*** ALL. I wouldn't claim to be the maker of that thing if you paid me.

To be honest, it keeps him off the streets and is better than anything I could throw together (notice I didn't say 'make') but the fact he went to all that bother but won't go and borrow/buy a cheap little amp, or even play it into his HIFI or SOMETHING so we can hear it is just obviously him avoiding the fact that it doesn't work, electronically or physically - again, not something I would make fun of him for IF HE HADNT PLASTERED IT ALL OVER THE INTERNET!

[quote name='ped' post='58541' date='Sep 11 2007, 01:14 AM']but the fact he went to all that bother but won't go and borrow/buy a cheap little amp, or even play it into his HIFI or SOMETHING so we can hear it is just obviously him avoiding the fact that it doesn't work, electronically or physically - again, not something I would make fun of him for IF HE HADNT PLASTERED IT ALL OVER THE INTERNET![/quote]

My feelings exactly. If I slaved away at making my own instrument, as well as wanting people to admire how it looked, I would sure damn want people to admire how it sounded. After all, that's the most important thing about an instrument! :)

Edited by s_u_y_*

Yeah, I guess all the great luthiers started somewhere, and probably made a few lemons here and there.

Did he ever manage to sell it on eBay?

I find it amazing that he is dedicated enough to build a 13 string bass from scratch but doesnt own an amp - and can't even borrow one. Strange!

look how annoyed some people are getting on you tube though. that is almost as funny. Mabey its tuned to that you can play a note a string and so one A Bb B C Db D etc
ive done better tho, i even added wee "slappers" to help me hit so many strings. I called it the 'Pie ano'