Why become a member? ×

Avalon mono DI box

lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='61673' date='Sep 17 2007, 01:41 PM']Seem to have a post all to myself on this one...
will let myself know how i get on.. :)
Garry[/quote]

Hehe. Awww bless! I will be listening! Come and sit on ped's lap.

Actually sit on Kiwi

[quote name='ped' post='61693' date='Sep 17 2007, 02:18 PM']Hehe. Awww bless! I will be listening! Come and sit on ped's lap.

Actually sit on Kiwi[/quote]
No kiwi's lap is full of Smith bass.

I played through the [url="http://www.avalondesign.com/images/vt737sp-01.jpg"]Avalon vt737sp tube mic preamp[/url] over the weekend and quite a nice piece of kit it was as well. But there again, for £1200 I'd expect nothing less.

[quote name='lowdown' post='58530' date='Sep 11 2007, 12:41 AM']Has anyone here got or used one..?? [Avalon]
I am thinking of getting one for recording purposes
and Thomman seem to be the cheapest by a mile.

Read plenty of reviews , which all great...
but a bit of hands on experiance in use would be good. :)

Garry[/quote]

I've got one and it is fantastic. And I've tried every DI box you can think of - all of 'em. But this is in a different class. I can see now why this has become THE industry standard DI box for many of the top 'name' bass players & big recording studios. If you want to hear exactly what your bass sounds like - every last detail of the tone - with no colour (or noise) from the DI box itself then get one of these. You will not be disappointed. For some people it will be too much to take to gigs (it's a big, heavy box!) - but if you just want the best then this is it. And for recording? Wow.
It will even take a speaker input (up to 400W).
I did also look at getting a REDDI - but they are crazy, crazy money(!) & never had even a sniff of one 2nd hand + the Avalon is much more useful for a variety of recording scenarios.

I paid £275 for this on eBay (UK) - it's mint/good as new (bought from a top pro session guitarist). They are VERY rare 2nd hand - that was a BIN price & had only been up for a short time (had an auto search saved) - so I didn't mess about. I had almost given up hope of finding one used & was about to drop £400 on a new one.
But...they do have a switchable mains supply (this is pro kit!) - so you could buy one from US eBay & it would work here with no problem. But there tends to be a 'bun fight' for them on eBay from UK buyers. If you know someone in the US - get them to buy a 'ship to US only' one for you & I bet you could snag a bargain.

Edited by 99ster

Thanks folks...
It was getting real spooky here on my own...!!
Did try trolling around for a second hand one...with no luck..
plus i needed one pronto...
So bit the bullet and went for one new from Thomman...
£377.00 inc postage[free] and got some DR'S at the time..
[they are a good price as well..worth checking out]
Glad to hear i have made a good move.
Just needed to hear some feeedback.

As for sitting on Steve's lap...dont like the sound of that...!
Think i will leave that up to the Smith.. :)

Hey 99ster
That link does not seem to be working...will try later...
Steve..not sure you are interested..But over at the Yellowculture.com site..
they are giving away a free sampler with about over a gig and a half of sounds,with more to come over
the next few weeks.Its called Independance and the link
[url="http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=782"]http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=782[/url]

They are a bit busy at the momnet so be patient.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='61753' date='Sep 17 2007, 04:33 PM']Steve..not sure you are interested..But over at the Yellowculture.com site..
they are giving away a free sampler with about over a gig and a half of sounds,with more to come over
the next few weeks.Its called Independance and the link
[url="http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=782"]http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=782[/url]

They are a bit busy at the momnet so be patient.
Garry[/quote]
Wey hey Garry - thanks a bunch! I took delivery of an EMU Vintage Keys and a Virtuoso last week.

[quote name='lowdown' post='61753' date='Sep 17 2007, 04:33 PM']Hey 99ster
That link does not seem to be working...will try later...[/quote]

Working OK here Garry...
[url="http://profilmgear.com/Items/12601"]http://profilmgear.com/Items/12601[/url]
:?

Here it is in action - was £28.80 with postage (from Germany)...

[attachment=2355:avalon_case.jpg]

Edited by 99ster

Hang on, this isn't an effect, what's this thread doing here?

I bought mine from the US and my brother brought it back for me. Also got the rack ears so it's mounted in my 4U shallow rack along with a QSC PLX power amp.

It's just so clear and so clean but that doesn't mean sterile or thin or characterless. When my bass growls it growls, when my bass thunders it thunders, and so on. It is VERY quiet, it has tons of headroom on the input, the dual XLR outs are great because one is hot for driving a power amp and the other less so and gets on with with mixing desks (for recording I swap round to put a hot signal into the recorder and a quieter signal - for less bleed - into my rig). The thru out on the front is handy for tuning too.

It has a few other features like the preshape and the speaker level input but I don't really use them - the ultra simple feature count really suits me - less to go wrong, less expensive (look at the price of everything else Avalon sells!), it isn't small or light but it isn't that bad - does mean that the DI outs are easier to reach in a rack because it reaches all the way to the back rail - and it's very solidly built.

It feels like a bit of a leap of faith going to a rig which has no EQ apart from a handful of preshapes but if the rest of your gear sounds good and you're after a true and clean sound then it's unbeatable for the money.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='62080' date='Sep 18 2007, 11:03 AM']Hang on, this isn't an effect, what's this thread doing here?[/quote]

I know.....
But does say including signal processing and effects...
And the Avalon does have tone presets....
so that is signal processing ...Maybe.!
Not having a bash...but did not know where to post....
And having seen Bassferret getting out his pram over flatwound strings elsewhere...
I wanted to avoid all that..
Anyway Alex...i use RIM Basses...so that makes me a nice loving cuddley geezer... :)

Garry

[quote name='alexclaber' post='62080' date='Sep 18 2007, 11:03 AM']It feels like a bit of a leap of faith going to a rig which has no EQ apart from a handful of preshapes but if the rest of your gear sounds good and you're after a true and clean sound then it's unbeatable for the money.

Alex[/quote]

It seems mysterious but it shouldn't. A sax player goes on stage and he doesn't think EQ but tone. Start with the right gear and you shouldn't be worrying.

[quote name='lowdown' post='62116' date='Sep 18 2007, 12:21 PM']Anyway Alex...i use RIM Basses...so that makes me a nice loving cuddley geezer... :)[/quote]

They do that too? I just thought they made you sound great!

The U5 it makes things louder and has less signal processing than any amp I can think of - definitely mislocated... I'm sure you'll really like it btw!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='65262' date='Sep 25 2007, 12:13 PM']It's quite hard to say a lot about! It just does what it does very well. :)

Alex[/quote]

Yep Alex...it sure does...
Loads of gain...so even with a low output passive bass...plenty there with loads left over.
Very clean sound , so just the the REAL sound of your Bass , no colouring at all....
If you want a pre-amp sound , there is half a dozen tone shape presets..enhancers really..but nicely voiced..and no noise whats so ever.
As Alex said...it does what it say's,,and really well.
Well built as well...rock solid....
This is a real pro bit of kit...

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='65305' date='Sep 25 2007, 01:28 PM']Very clean sound , so just the the REAL sound of your Bass , no colouring at all....[/quote]

I love how the sound is so clean that, with my bass at least, when you want serious grunt and growl you just dig in and get all nasty on the bass and it comes through loud and clear. Whoever said clean and flat equals sterile hasn't played a good bass through something like this, or doesn't know how to play!

Alex

All this gas for the U5 is making me want one again, I use to own a U5 rigged up to an Ashdown powermagnifier 1000. I had a great sound going thru EBS 4x10 and 2x10. Maybe I'll wait till christmas and treat myself, glad to see two of my RIM bass owner are using them, cant wait to hear clips from Gary and Alex,s new bass.

Cheers,

Robbie.