Why become a member? ×

Fretless baby!

TGEvans

[quote name='TGEvans' post='59131' date='Sep 12 2007, 10:28 AM']Sorry, I just needed a fairly quick answer. I dont have the time to come online, trawl through what could be a load of unwanted text, then leave smart arse comments on other peoples questions. Ah well......[/quote]
And I dont have time to keep answering questions that get asked over and over again.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='59206' date='Sep 12 2007, 12:28 PM']And I dont have time to keep answering questions that get asked over and over again.[/quote]

[quote name='Machines' post='59234' date='Sep 12 2007, 12:52 PM']But you do have time to whinge bout it :).[/quote]
OK the next time some dumb f*** that cant be arsed to look for the answer posts this question I wont post a link to the wealth of useful info that has already been posted.

If you are so clever Mr Moderator perhaps you can reinstate all the stuff I copied from bassworld that has just been deleted.

Edited by bass_ferret

Christ on a bike.

It only takes a moment to say "this has been asked before, but you may find this previous thread helpful", or, if you're too busy, not say anything at all...

Being polite works on the internet as well as in real life, suprisingly enough!

As for the strings, my advice would be to just try as many different types as you can. Everyone has their recommendations, but this doesn't mean they will suit you.

Bass_ferret - I think it's maybe a lil harsh to call someone a dumb f***, just because they didn't go hunting through posts to find the info they required. The whole point of a forum like this is to seek the advice of others. You could have just pointed out in a much milder way that there was information on another thread and I reckon it would have been warmly received. Go take a cold shower and pull the stick out of your arse.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='59629' date='Sep 13 2007, 01:18 AM']OK the next time some dumb f*** that cant be arsed to look for the answer posts this question I wont post a link to the wealth of useful info that has already been posted.[/quote]

and as i've also asked a similar question this week, i take exception to this, particularly as I welcome the input of more than one person.

Anyway, let's all be nice eh

A rather harsh and unecessary comment there Mr Ferret. Did god die and leave you in charge? Id hang my head in shame if I were you!

Your reply indicates towards a very superior view of oneself and ones knowledge. Mr Evans is a good friend of mine and a damn fine bass player, why on earth would you want to respond in the manner you chose? Unless, you have internal submodalities that indicate a negative self image and poor interpersonal skills. If I were you Id recheck my internal belief hierarchy and make some changes.

just let us all ask whatever question we like in whatever manner and forum takes our fancy, its our right you know.

Ah fxxk I aint got anymore time to give you.

Get over it big boy

Well I for one will not be answering any more string questions. Cos I am sick to death of answering the same questions over and over again because people are too lazy to look for the answers. Thats why the mods pin useful threads and why bass chat has a wiki where I have posted all the info I copied from basstalk/bassworld.

Why you should expect everyone to pour forth all their knowledge (and a lot of other peoples in the pinned thread) because you cant be bothered to look for it? I expect to see all that wisdom coming from you chaps in future.

Just a shame your fountain of knowledge is delivered with such poor attitude.

Be nice man, it costs nothing to respect your fellow fatstring plucker.

These sites are all about camaraderie and helping each other, might I suggest a visit to www.angermanagement.com

Lesson learnt?

Back on topic, I have Labella deep talking flats on my kelly dragonfly for a nice near-upright sound. However, on the fretless alembic I'm using DR red devil roundwounds to get that nice Mwah sound.

Avoid Rotosound jazz flats at all costs. I tried them and found them to be rougher than barbed wire.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='60992' date='Sep 15 2007, 09:58 PM']Well I for one will not be answering any more string questions.[/quote]

don't then. i know you're only trying to be helpful, but your thread was pinned in july and featured info copied over from before the demise of BT. How many people have joined up, started using a different string brand or had different experiences to you and the other contributors since then and are keen to add or share their opinions and experiences? In case you hadn't noticed, you're not the only bass owner here.

(sorry for detracting from the topic once again)

I read quite recently that a particular brand of flats - Roto 77s I think, were quite bright from new - is that right? If I wanted a set of strings that were bright, i'd go and get some rounds!

You lot just dont get it do you? I stand by what I originally said to the community as a whole - not the OP otherwise I would have sent a PM, why do the mods bother pinning stuff when
1. nobody looks at it and
2. nobody updates it with their experience.
There is also a wiki that is a similar waste of space for the same reasons.

The threads are pinned to make sure that they are at the top of the board all of the time. They are meant to evolve as more information is added - and I am far from the only contributor to the pinned thread and the threads that were copied from bassworld that are now on the wiki. These represent hundreds of years of experience.

The wiki stuff does need to be edited to make it a more coherent document but I wont be be doing it. How about all you critics having a go or dont you intend to make a contribution to the community instead of just taking from it.

As for the OP, if you want information about flatwound strings - why call the thread "Fretless baby"? Believe it or not you dont have to have a fretless to use flats but at least he did not get the usual deluge of "I use TI Jazz Flats" replies that most people get. That being said there has been far more response to my rudeness in response to his rudeness in response to his perception of my rudeness than there has useful information to help him decide what flats to get. The guy may be a good player but he has a funny way of asking the forum for advice.

Perhaps he should read the pinned thread, the wiki and search for other threads on flatwound strings if he wants a comprehensive reply. Perhaps he could even update the wiki/pin with his experience once he has got his flats.

Edited by bass_ferret

The reason behind the 'fretless baby' opener was for a bit of an austin powers theme. Bit of fun perhaps, sorry. I think that this topic has gone a bit George Bush on us all. Lets leave it at that. Thanks for everybodies input, even Bass Ferret's, you gave me a good laugh.T