Why become a member? ×

Patrick Eggle New York IV

Leowasright

[quote name='TheRev' post='556864' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:07 AM']I remember these when they first came out and I'm sure they're a 34".[/quote]

I agree. I liked the look of these when they came out and had one appeared locally I would have been interested... which makes me certain it is 34" as I'd have dismissed it had it been short scale (no offence to shorties :) ).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='556868' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:15 AM']I agree. I liked the look of these when they came out and had one appeared locally I would have been interested... which makes me certain it is 34" as I'd have dismissed it had it been short scale (no offence to shorties :) ).[/quote]

Thanks guys, if it is 34" I'm mystified how she gets her small hands around it then.........the bass that is.

How diminutive exactly is the person in question?

I ask because I'm by no means a large bloke - under 5'6", slim (although not as elegantly wasted as I used to be) and hands in proportion to the rest of me - and for a long time my main bass was a 36" scale 5-string Overwater.

I found that it's not the scale length that is a problem for smaller people, but how the bass hangs on the strap in relation to your body. For that reason the Overwater is pleasantly comfortable, while I have difficulties reaching the first fret properly in Fenders.

Edited by BigRedX

• 4 years later...

hi , the blue Patrick eggle you saw on e bay a few weeks ago , I bought it, wanted one for ten yrs, took the cover off to replace the battery, and the cables fell to bits im now waiting for all new pre amp to arrive, to fix it , , on close inspection someone had botched it up

[quote name='kevpilk' timestamp='1398080078' post='2430136']
hi , the blue Patrick eggle you saw on e bay a few weeks ago , I bought it, wanted one for ten yrs, took the cover off to replace the battery, and the cables fell to bits im now waiting for all new pre amp to arrive, to fix it , , on close inspection someone had botched it up
[/quote]
Guitarist in an old band of mine has a red one. The preamp is a pain, it is epoxy potted and one on the wires fell off. PIA to fix.Seems like an afterthought, and not very well executed physically, but sounds ok. Also, no separate battery box so you have to take the scratch plate off to change, another drag.
I liked it to play, though his has issues with the neck, I could only just get the relief right.
I'm not keen on the single pickup in the middle, but it does sound very solid. Sperzel tuners are good, make sure all the locking thumbwheels are present! (though they are still good tuners without the locking bit)
oh and def 34" scale!

• 3 weeks later...

yes they are a pain to change the battery , do it when you change the strings its easier, had to fit a belcat pre amp , the original was covered in black paint or something , no chance of re soldering broken leads of it. ,as for the pickup ,mine growls just how I like it ,,had no trouble with the neck though,, , ,overall a bloody lovely bass, but then again I am a big Patrick eggle fan

Back in the days, Patrick Eggle used to copy every thing Paul Reed Smith did, late 80's to early 90's so that New York bass was a copy of the PRS 4 which the body is as big as a guitar one but the neck is still a 34" scale you can see what a REAL PRS looks like in my signature pic and how small it looks side by side to other basses.

This also reminded me of a thing I witnessed back in 1989, I was at the Manchester Guitar Show which was held at the UMIST (University) and Patrick Eggle had his little stand with all these guitars which really were all PRS copies and Paul Reed Smith himself walked up to him and gave him a massive b*ll*cking about the fact that his guitars were exact copies, I still remember the language used, "Why can't you get your own f****ing design instead of copying my effing geetars?" and Patrick Eggle was all apologetic saying "well look they are not exactly the same, my neck joint is different as is the tremolo, I am sorry if you think they look the same I never intended to copy your guitars" Paul Reed Smith started giving him back some threat of suing his company when Eggle's mom or sister stepped in and said ok go on sue us and be done with it" Eventually a couple of dudes from PRS stand came to calm him down and steer him away.

I was all hoping for a good old brawl with guitars smashed on the heads, but it wasn't to be. I believe PRS did attempt to sue but, I don't think he won.

[quote name='Leowasright' timestamp='1249050355' post='557177']
I'm mystified how she gets her small hands around it then... the bass that is.
[/quote]

Quite. The current mrs discreet has hands as big as Rachmaninov, so the pleasure of that particular mystery is denied me.

There's one on ebay now [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PATRICK-EGGLE-NEW-YORK-BASS-BRAND-NEW-/161296593879?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item258e06b3d7"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PATRICK-EGGLE-NEW-YORK-BASS-BRAND-NEW-/161296593879?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item258e06b3d7[/url]

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1399734968' post='2447168']
There's one on ebay now [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PATRICK-EGGLE-NEW-YORK-BASS-BRAND-NEW-/161296593879?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item258e06b3d7"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PATRICK-EGGLE-NEW-YORK-BASS-BRAND-NEW-/161296593879?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item258e06b3d7[/url]
[/quote]

Good pics!