Why become a member? ×

pickguard help

john_the_bass

Try soaking it (the plate, NOT the bass!!!) in a bowl of very warm water and placing it between two large heavy books. If your partner/missus is anything like mine, you will find she has a Next or River Island catalogue floating around somewhere. Leave overnight.

Sprinkle with olive oil and juniper berry oil and re fit plate.

Voila.

(Ignore the last bit about the oils-that was theatrical license).

Edited by neilb

Question - is it a good idea to seal this up inside a big sandwich bag or something, before immersing it in hot water and also using some kind of weight to flatten it down in the bowl (the latter probably not a good idea, but i thought i'd ask anyway)?

It's an old pickguard - it's on my JV Precision and I've no idea whether it's made out of plastic or what - I don't think I've ever seen one that I could definitely identify as celluloid so I don't know what one looks like or indeed when they stopped using celluloid.

Would any 13 hole pickguard fit? If I am going to have to replace it, I'd like another tort effect one - it's a shame to lose an original part, but if it's necessary, I will. I could try taking the pickguard on my modern USA precision, but to be honest - I'm not very good at this sort of thing and don't really want the hassle!

see above really - i soaked the pickguard, stuck it in between two next books and a yellow pages and stood on it for 10 minutes.
it's still knackered.

anyway, does anybody recommend any parts suppliers that sell replacement pickguards i can put onto my JV precision as a straight swap?
I saw one on the WD site which is suitable for american vintage basses and is 13 holes, plus hole drilled for the thumbrest, but it's 45 quid.
I've looked around and the ones for about 20 quid don't seem to be exact matches or say stuff like - some work may need to be done and some holes redrilled - i don't want to start drilling holes in an otherwise excellent condition JV bass and would prefer to know if something's a good fit before i fork out 45 quid on something i might not get a refund on. if you know what i mean

somebody told me i need to get the plastic up to about 80-90 degrees C before I try and flatten it, could i put it in a 90 degree oven for a bit and then press it flat or do i run the risk of buggering it completely.

ta

I reckon it would melt at that temp mate.

Sorry you had no luck with the hot water trick, worked with me.

You may as well bite the bullet and get a custom plate cut.

Speak to Mike at SIMS. If you send him the bent old plate, he will cut you a replica in whatever colour u like.

[url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/scratchplate_files/scratchplates.html"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/scratchplat...atchplates.html[/url]

Edited by neilb