Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash, 10th October 2009

silverfoxnik

[quote name='jakesbass' post='623860' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:01 PM']Damn I knew I forgot something important!! well next time. There's loads more info where that lot came from. It's quite tough to pitch it to so many people because there is a wide variety of standard.[/quote]

I'll have to get you a copy of the Plus Tech Squeeze Box album, there's some really choice bass & drums & melodies on there! Mad as a ferret in a hot air ballon mind :)

[quote name='Ray' post='623908' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:58 PM']Does this still apply if the pickups are wired in series?[/quote]

Something completely different happens in series though I've yet to work out the details of why. My bass has a 4-way neck/series/parallel/bridge switch so I'm very familiar with the different sounds.

My four starting points for tone are:

Neck (default) - fat, open, punchy, very responsive to plucking changes, most dynamic, most natural
Bridge - growlier, leaner, punchier, more aggressive, much more compressed, not as responsive to plucking changes
Parallel - smooth yet growly, rather sweet sounding, sits further back in the mix generally and makes slap sound less in your face, fairly responsive to plucking changes
Series - louder (+6dB), less top, thicker boomier lows and mids, less absolute depth than neck, least responsive to plucking changes, fills up space nicely when the guitarist isn't playing chords but isn't a pretty sound

I suspect that with the series setting you lower the resonant peak of the pickup system, which brings back a load of upper mids that the location related phase cancellation removes. You definitely lose top because of the higher inductance causing a roll off. And gain output due to the voltages summing rather than the currents.

Alex

[quote name='jakesbass' post='623860' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:01 PM']It's quite tough to pitch it to so many people because there is a wide variety of standard.[/quote]

Quite easy, actually - Paul S = lowest denominator. Words of one syllable or, preferably, fewer.

[quote]....Bassfaced [sic] cabs were very good and light, Though i probably wouldnt use them with a 5 string as i felt they lacked the extreme lows that i would need. But great punchy cabs!....[/quote]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='623121' date='Oct 11 2009, 02:33 PM']....Most of the Barefaced cabs were on the stage away from the wall so the extreme lows they can produce would not overwhelm everything! Though I think Chris and I succeeded when comparing the Shuttle 6.0, Thunderfunk 550 and Avalon U5/PLX3002 into a pair of Compacts - LOUD!!!....[/quote]
Lacked extreme lows? Not from where I was standing!

Strangely, we thought the Shuttle worked very well, better with one Compact than 2. Don't know why that would be the case, but the Thunderfunk pushed a lot of volume and a fat, full tone through both Compacts. Most of the controls were flat so there was a ton of bass to add if you wanted to get into dub. The Compacts didn't even sweat when Alex pushed both the TF gain and master to full on!

I came away from the Bash happier than ever with the TF. Some combinations just work well together and the TF with the Compacts just seemed to sing!

What a brilliant day - kudos to silverfoxnik, hamster, merton, jonnylager and obbm (did I miss anyone, sorry) for setting it up, Mrs Hamster for the brews, all the people brave enough to give workshops and demos and a special thank you to Hartke for being so generous. Excellent choice of venue too. It was good to meet some old friends and put some names to new faces.

Highlights for me were having a nice chat on the way down and back with Dave C, MacDaddy's incredible Shuker, all the workshops, Bassace's number plate and 51m0n's rant about pedal compressors! And of course winning the raffle, which was a real surprise because I never win anything!

Thanks to Merton (again) for letting me try my Burman head with his Vintage. Some truly thunderous low B's from where I was standing (10 feet in front of the cab!) There will be a pic in the pics thread when I get around to finding my phone cable.

Excellent job all round - can't wait for the next one.

[quote name='Clarky' post='623840' date='Oct 12 2009, 11:06 AM']Hey Walman, good to meet you. The protector on the back of all of my basses is called a ScratchPad. I wrote these up in a thread on the forum [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58475&hl=Clarky"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...5&hl=Clarky[/url]

They are available from Thomann or, most cheaply, on eBay (best search string is ScratchPad guitar protector, I think)[/quote]
Hi Clarky

That's really useful to know.. Happy Jack has some of these too IIRC.. Also, where do you get those super sexy chrome strings from and do they do 5 string sets do you think?

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='624479' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:12 PM']Hi Clarky

That's really useful to know.. Happy Jack has some of these too IIRC.. Also, where do you get those super sexy chrome strings from and do they do 5 string sets do you think?

Nik[/quote]
Those are D'Addario Chromes - here's the link [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/d_addario/ecb_flatwound"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bas...o/ecb_flatwound[/url]

They comes in 4 and 5 sets and as singles. Not cheap but then they should last for years (and neither are TI's or Pyramid Golds cheap)!

[quote name='Clarky' post='624493' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:24 PM']Those are D'Addario Chromes - here's the link [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/d_addario/ecb_flatwound"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bas...o/ecb_flatwound[/url]

They comes in 4 and 5 sets and as singles. Not cheap but then they should last for years (and neither are TI's or Pyramid Golds cheap)![/quote]

Seen the latest Bass Player mag? There is a massive string comparison test in it, very comprehensive, 24 brands. My DR Black Beauties certainly came out in the test pretty much as they are. The only thing missing in the test is longevity, but hey, that would be a really long term test!

[quote name='Clarky' post='623840' date='Oct 12 2009, 11:06 AM']Hey Walman, good to meet you. The protector on the back of all of my basses is called a ScratchPad. I wrote these up in a thread on the forum [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58475&hl=Clarky"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...5&hl=Clarky[/url]

They are available from Thomann or, most cheaply, on eBay (best search string is ScratchPad guitar protector, I think)[/quote]
Cheers for that. Good to meet you as well.

The trouble with these days is ther is just never enough time to do everything you mean to. I should have tried a BF Midget under the MB121H for example

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='624374' date='Oct 12 2009, 08:32 PM']I know, I'm scared to use my compressor pedal now in case he sees me. :ph34r:[/quote]

Quite right too!

:)

Maybe next time I'll show you what I mean, get a bunch of pedals and a couple of decent rack comps and cop the pedals with the rack comps. Then show how much more useful a rack comp is, blah blah blah. Ending with my usual rantasm about the stupid pedals (apologies one and all!). Then again maybe not!

[quote name='51m0n' post='624586' date='Oct 12 2009, 11:39 PM']Quite right too!

Maybe next time I'll show you what I mean, get a bunch of pedals and a couple of decent rack comps and cop the pedals with the rack comps. Then show how much more useful a rack comp is, blah blah blah. Ending with my usual rantasm about the stupid pedals (apologies one and all!). Then again maybe not![/quote]

Stop it father, I think we all get the point now.

Such a great day, highlights had to be: Jakes talk, playing all those lovely basses and getting to play loudly
plus I now got new strings on my bass - YAY

I'd like to thank all the guys who organized it and Mikey R for letting me play his basses for ages, and Ped for the 5 minute jam we had before his demo of the V-bass, which is awesome too

[quote name='51m0n' post='624586' date='Oct 12 2009, 11:39 PM']Quite right too!

Maybe next time I'll show you what I mean, get a bunch of pedals and a couple of decent rack comps and cop the pedals with the rack comps. Then show how much more useful a rack comp is, blah blah blah. Ending with my usual rantasm about the stupid pedals (apologies one and all!). Then again maybe not![/quote]
Great!

That's one workshop sorted for next year!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Bass Guitar Magazine have said they'll run a piece in a forthcoming issue about the SE Bash, which is great news..

So, I wondered if anyone has any hi-res photos they took that they think really captured the spirit of the day..and if so, could we use them? I guess we'll only be allowed one or two shots at most so narrowing it down to the best 2 shots might be tricky.. We've only got until the end of the week to do this so please could you PM me and we'll go from there.

Oh - and if anyone has any brief anecdotes/funnies/comments about the day that they think are relevant and could go in the article, then please could you post them here or send a PM - thanks!

Thanks

Nik

[quote name='51m0n' post='637642' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:40 AM']Use anything u like that I posted in the photo thread, although they are probably all rather blurry and plop due to my massive deficit of talent in that area....[/quote]
Likewise Nik, although mine aren't great either!

Last evening Hamster very kindly dropped by to deliver my Hartke strings raffle prize and surprised me with a Get Well card signed by those who were at the Bash. It was a wonderful thought. Thank you so much. I've just spent a long time this morning trying to decipher all the messages and signatures. I was very disappointed that I couldn't be there. Hopefully I'll be fit again for the next Bash.