Why become a member? ×

4 string -v- 5 string for a beginner ?

timmyo

Hello - I'm a guitarist (yeah I know . . . :huh: ) who'd like to dabble in bass. My music tastes are blues/classic rock/pop and the odd bit of funk and metal

Nosing around s/h gear sales (mostly eBay but here also this evening) I notice the 5 stringers are often relatively inexpensive and might be interesting to have a dabble with.

Am I making life too hard starting with a 5 ? :huh:

Or should I just shut up and buy that BB615 in the marketplace if only because the chap is local ? :)

ta

Tim

Nothing wrong with throwing yourself in at the deep end (no pun intended) to get the best out of something!

Go with what you feel like, but be aware that the low B will seem a bit odd to begin with unless you're used to detuned or 7 string guitars, might be more sensible to grab a bass with a high C

thanks for your comments guys.

I had a mooch in town at lunchtime and one thing I noticed was that all the tuition books assume 4 strings - although I've seen a couple of 5-string specific ones online, so I'd probably pick one of those up (Progressive 5 String Bass was one that springs to mind)

MB1. :)

If your gonna start on a five make sure you keep your reciept,and you might be best, not to buy a cheap one as if eventually you want to sell a cheap one it wont be worth anything trade or cash.Id say,start with a four but......... your decision sir!.