Why become a member? ×

German flat back DB circa 1900 - SOLD

Grambo

Reluctantly for sale due to shortage of space (and gigs!) My lovely old 3/4 bass
Believed to have been made in Germany around the turn of the century, she has a silky action (set up for jazz) and a great sound.
Last valued at £3.5 to £4k I'm open to offers..... :)
[attachment=30964:IMG_2061.JPG] [attachment=30965:IMG_2066.JPG] [attachment=30966:IMG_2067.JPG] [attachment=30968:IMG_2070.JPG] [attachment=30970:IMG_2069.JPG] [attachment=30969:IMG_2072.JPG]

Can be viewed near Yeovil, Somerset.

Edited by Grambo

[quote name='Grambo' post='570664' date='Aug 16 2009, 02:33 PM']Reluctantly for sale due to shortage of space (and gigs!) My lovely old 3/4 bass
Believed to have been made in Germany around the turn of the century, she has a silky action (set up for jazz) and a great sound.
Last valued at £3.5 to £4k I'm open to offers..... :)
[attachment=30964:IMG_2061.JPG] [attachment=30965:IMG_2066.JPG] [attachment=30966:IMG_2067.JPG] [attachment=30968:IMG_2070.JPG] [attachment=30970:IMG_2069.JPG] [attachment=30969:IMG_2072.JPG]

Can be viewed near Yeovil, Somerset.[/quote]
[size=2]By the way - I should have mentioned that I'm not expecting any offers to be more than the valuation![/size]

This is a really nice instrument - don't miss out, basses of this quality are getting difficult to find....

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Sibob' post='736980' date='Feb 6 2010, 10:23 AM']Hey mate, is £3000 your price?
Just because marketplace adverts require a set price to be listed.

Cheers
Si[/quote]
Errr - Yes

I thought that was fairly obvious - but it obviously wasn't!

Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

[quote name='fretless' timestamp='1318262474' post='1399847']
condition looking good from photos but please confirm any past repairs ?

thanks

fretless
[/quote]
Hi Fretless

She's had a number of past repairs - can't tell you how many, she's considerably older than me!
What I can say is that the repairs made have all been to a high standard. It seems mostly that there has been attention to areas where the wood has dried/cracked,
these areas appear to have been secured using stiches or parchment, and animal glue - so are likely to be very old, and obviously sound. My bowmaker fitted a new ebony fingerboard and gave her the "once-over" some years ago, at which time he approved the repairs and found no problems.

Edited by Grambo

Hi All,
i have played this bass albeit sometime ago now but within a year i guess, and it is a great player. Yes its had some repairs over the years but lest face it what bass hasn't for that age. I would recommend interested parties to actually try it out as i think you will be surprised.