Why become a member? ×

new squier vmj mods?

steve

hello all

so i went into Soundcontrol in Salford yesterday to try out some squier vintage modified jazzers - I've been gassing for one for a while now - and walked out of the place with one. I'd phoned up in advance to see if they had any in stock and that I wanted to try one, and when I got there, there were three of them set out for me to try. After swapping between them for a bit I settled on one that had a two piece body and a fabulous grain in the maple neck. Pictures will follow.....

All three had a pretty nasty action in the shop, but after some tweaking and waiting last night, I've got the action on mine to quite a nice level,I still need to tweak the saddles again and the intonation but so far so good.

Anyway.... I have a few ideas for mods, and was hoping I could benefit from the experiences of other forumites to help guide me...

- I like the idea of going retro with the chrome pup covers, but how do they impact playing?

- How beneficial is a badassII, (which would, I believe, stop me being able to fit the bridge ashtray cover)?

- I'll probably replace the pups, anyone got any to sell?

- J-Retro, is it worth it on a (albeit wonderful) £200 bass

That's my thoughts for now, I'm really impressed with the stock bass, especially the maple neck (my first), but I'm wondering how far I can take it...

oh yeah, and Rob from Soundcontrol deserves a mention, he was a top chap, very helpful but not too pushy.

My 2p from someone who owns a VMJ fretless

Covers: For me they completely obscure two out the the three best positions for picking so I wouldn't even think about fitting them. I find the fascination with these things (and their vintage 'authenticity') somewhat amusing esspecially since anyone with any nous in the 70s was taking them of to improve the instrument's playability.

Badass II: Probably the most cost-effective mod I made to mine. Much improved sustain (you might not want that though) and note articulation. If you're going to do this I'd also consider upgrading the tuners, string retainer and nut as well.

Pickups: What don't you like about the ones on their already. Unless you have a specific sound in mind that isn't being delivered by the stock pickups I'd leave them alone for now.

J-Retro: Again a big improvement to the sound, but not as good value IMO as the Badass. One thing to bear in mind if you do for this upgrade is that body on the VMJs is thinner than a real Fender Jazz, and on my instrument I had to route out a further 2mm from the cavity depth to fit the J-retro. If you don't fell up to this level of extra work measure the depth of the cavity and compare with the spec on John East's web site before you buy.

In the mean time enjoy your bass!

[quote name='lwtait' post='61071' date='Sep 16 2007, 10:43 AM']I love the BADASS on my jazz, you should definatly get one if your thinking of changing the bridge.

[b]But personally I think it would look stupid to have a modern look like the BADASS with a retro look of the chrome covers. Just my opinion.[/b][/quote]
cover on - no longer a problem :)

[quote name='lwtait' post='61071' date='Sep 16 2007, 10:43 AM']I love the BADASS on my jazz, you should definatly get one if your thinking of changing the bridge.

But personally I think it would look stupid to have a modern look like the BADASS with a retro look of the chrome covers. Just my opinion.[/quote]

Tell that to Marcus Miller :).

By the way I don't think the ashtray fits over a BADASS 2.

thanks for the replies fellas, I've been noodling this morning and my current position is this...

sustain ain't a problem, and I've seen some opinions on talkbass that say that the badass increases the highs. I don't have any issues with the sounds I'm getting at the moment so I think the stock bridge will stay for the time being.

I've no intention of routing the body, so a J-retro is out of the question, although I might consider the EMG BTC and VMC in the future.

The pickups sound nice enough, but there's a fair bit of interference when either volume knob is turned down a touch, I thought some of the noiseless pups might be a good move

and the covers, well, they look good, but I see Big Reds point about blocking some of the playing positions. I find the vmj very responsive to the variations of right hand position.

We have a band rehearsal tonight for an acoustic gig next week, so I'll take it down to try in a full band (albeit acoustic guitarred) environment.

I know this has been mentioned upteen times before (so sorry) but while this thread is active:[list=1]
[*]what badass (if any) do you have to screw extra holes for?
[*]What are the differences between the different badasses?
[*]How expensive are they used/new?
[*]Will they complement a vintage tone?
[/list]Thanks guys and gals!

(sorry for temporarily hijacking your thread)
paul.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='61069' date='Sep 16 2007, 10:40 AM']Covers: For me they completely obscure two out the the three best positions for picking so I wouldn't even think about fitting them. I find the fascination with these things (and their vintage 'authenticity') somewhat amusing esspecially since anyone with any nous in the 70s was taking them of to improve the instrument's playability.[/quote]

It's all about looks and foam. They just add a certain charm that can elevate your bass into a higher class. If it really upsets your tone then I'd leave them off. (If you like to pay over the pickups, as many do, don't consider them).

Edited by paul, the

I was taking a look at [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159191"]this shielding thread on talkbass[/url], I might give it a go - it'll be cheaper than a pup upgrade and can't do any harm. Plus it gives one vol and one blen instaed of two volumes, which I have on my bongo, and do like.

paul, the badassII is a direct replacement for fender stock bridges, I think the other ones would need holes drilled but i'm not sure. I have no experience of them but I've read they boost the high end, perhaps BigRed could comment further?

I'm still thinking about the covers....

Cheers Steve, I'd leave the stock pups in. They're one of the reasons why the bass is so revered.

Covers are the difference between me going:
"Oh, that's nice!"

and:

the paul's heartbeat started to pound deep and fast like a metal bassist through an Ampeg rig. His palms became sweaty and he felt a cool rush of blood to his head. Collapsed on the floor, the paul laid motionless and void. That is, except for the enduring and majestic smile that had been emblazoned upon his face.

The women's Brazilian football team shower room in use casts a similar spell.

[quote name='Machines' post='61131' date='Sep 16 2007, 01:18 PM']Tell that to Marcus Miller :).

By the way I don't think the ashtray fits over a BADASS 2.[/quote]

Has the Marcus Miller got a BADASS? I'm gonna check it out now?

*brings up the fender website*

Well... who knew?

I withdraw my statement about it looking stupid, I never thought the Marcus Miller looked stupid and I still don't.

Here's mine;

I've added a BadAssII, and spent [i]ages[/i] getting the string alignment into the best compromise between dead straight string pull and aligning perfectly between the pick-up poles.

The only other mods-
Black (solid brass) Schaller control knobs. Weigh a ton, but they feel so much more positive and have position "dimples"
DR Marcus Miller Signature FatBeam strings (45,65,80,100)

I could be persuaded to go to 2vol 2 tone stacked controls on better pots, but the originals are certainly 500k on the pick-ups. Don't know about the tone pot, though... haven't checked.

Sounds (not surprisingly) halfway between a good Standard Jazz and a Marcus Miller Signature Jazz. Just what I was looking for!

[quote name='lwtait' post='61276' date='Sep 16 2007, 05:59 PM']Has the Marcus Miller got a BADASS? I'm gonna check it out now?

*brings up the fender website*

Well... who knew?

I withdraw my statement about it looking stupid, I never thought the Marcus Miller looked stupid and I still don't.[/quote]

The Badass II on the MM sig Jazz might be cool but that enlarged pickguard/control plate/battery cover?
with all thos screws has to be one of the ugliest things ever.

[quote name='Lfalex' post='61844' date='Sep 17 2007, 07:16 PM']Here's mine;

I've added a BadAssII, and spent [i]ages[/i] getting the string alignment into the best compromise between dead straight string pull and aligning perfectly between the pick-up poles.

The only other mods-
Black (solid brass) Schaller control knobs. Weigh a ton, but they feel so much more positive and have position "dimples"
DR Marcus Miller Signature FatBeam strings (45,65,80,100)

I could be persuaded to go to 2vol 2 tone stacked controls on better pots, but the originals are certainly 500k on the pick-ups. Don't know about the tone pot, though... haven't checked.

Sounds (not surprisingly) halfway between a good Standard Jazz and a Marcus Miller Signature Jazz. Just what I was looking for![/quote]

The badass looks the part, but I'm not sure whether or not to bother fitting one as mine sounds pretty good as it is - it went down well at rehearsal last night.

I still fancy changing the controls to blend/vol/tone and sorting out the cavity shielding, I'm hoping that'll quiet it down enough so I don't need to swap out the pups

as for strings, I have a pair of DR black beauties lying around tantalisingly.......

[quote name='BigRedX' post='61890' date='Sep 17 2007, 08:43 PM']The Badass II on the MM sig Jazz might be cool but that enlarged pickguard/control plate/battery cover?
with all thos screws has to be one of the ugliest things ever.[/quote]

+1, never been sure about that, the neck pup cover looks good though

[quote name='steve' post='61940' date='Sep 17 2007, 10:14 PM']The badass looks the part, but I'm not sure whether or not to bother fitting one as mine sounds pretty good as it is - it went down well at rehearsal last night.

I still fancy changing the controls to blend/vol/tone and sorting out the cavity shielding, I'm hoping that'll quiet it down enough so I don't need to swap out the pups

as for strings, I have a pair of DR black beauties lying around tantalisingly.......[/quote]

The BadAss really makes a difference to the attack, sustain and tonality of the sound. It's clearer, sharper, faster and cleaner. In a nutshell, more "modern" sounding. If you want a warmer, vintage vibe, keep the original bridge.

I wonder what a thru-body strung one would sound like?

It's rather thin to my hands actually, slightly thinner than my aerodyne, although that could be down to the satin finish compared to the gloss one.

I'm still half and half to putting wizard 84's in mine, a Badass II will be ordered next week though.

MIGHT also drop the pots down to 250k (they're all 500k across the board) as the difference between pots fully on and 95% is massive and irks me, and also just to see how the range changes on volume control and tone before I purchase new pups.

[quote name='Buzz' post='61977' date='Sep 17 2007, 11:54 PM']I'm still half and half to putting wizard 84's in mine, a Badass II will be ordered next week though.[/quote]
I looked at some Wizards too, £70 a pair isn't bad, but I'm hoping to keep the stock one's in

[quote name='Buzz' post='61977' date='Sep 17 2007, 11:54 PM']MIGHT also drop the pots down to 250k (they're all 500k across the board) as the difference between pots fully on and 95% is massive and irks me, and also just to see how the range changes on volume control and tone before I purchase new pups.[/quote]
let us know how you go on if you do it, will you?

[quote name='paul, the' post='61147' date='Sep 16 2007, 01:41 PM']I know this has been mentioned upteen times before (so sorry) but while this thread is active:[list=1]
[*]what badass (if any) do you have to screw extra holes for?
[*]What are the differences between the different badasses?[/quote]

See the "sticky/pinned topic" at the top of this forum for info on BadAss bridges