Why become a member? ×

I'm a bloody idiot - HELP

Bidd

So there I am playing my Washburn T14 bass (passive) when suddenly the sound cuts out. This is the stupid part. I adjusted the middle knob (I have three) which I'm pretty sure affects the tone, so am I right in thinking this is a bridge selector, as I have a P pup and a split pup. Basically I concluded (dubiously) that one the pups decided to die on me, as all three knobs now seem to be volume and I can only get one tone. To clarify the sound still works but I no longer have sound when I used to have the three knobs in a given position that I used to play with

So I decide to take some things off my bass (for the first time), and went to inspect the pups. So i unscrew them, but as the quality of the screw is pathetic (and I possibly use the wrong size), I stripped them (i.e. f***ed the heads up) so I can't get them off, and a couple are half up, and will not screw up/down. The wires in the back looked alright.

First of all, does anyone know what the problem could be because I'm probably most definitely wrong. Second of all does anyone have good advice at removing stripped screws? My final objective would be to basically gut out the guitar and replace with new pups & bridge

This is the first time I've done this, I have no friends or family that know anything about basses so I'm basically learning from doing and by internet (albeit not very successfully)

Cheers

Edited by Bidd

If you are gonna start messing about like this it pays to get a good set of small screwdrivers - not the ones you get in the market for £1. Thus armed you stand a much better chance of not f***ing the screws. Also get a good pair of small long nosed pliers and some small wire cutters. You should be able to use the pliers and cutters to get the screws out. With the cutters try and grip the top of the screw and turn like a screwdriver.

Not familiar with the bass so dont really know what you have done. What/how were you adjusting the middle knob.

Edited by bass_ferret