Why become a member? ×

Epifani cabs..How good

Beneath It All

Hi,

I had a UL410 (in fact I had two!) and they offer everything you need. They handled a low B with ease, each cab is 1000w, plus they are very sensitive. I ended up using only one cab as I found it sounded better driving one cab hard rather than having two hardly being pushed. Neo speakers are supposed to be slightly heavier on the mids than conventional drivers, but I never noticed it. I think I'm right in saying EBS had problems when they first started using Neo's, but as far as I know there are no issues with Epi.

One of my cabs is for sale at the moment I believe!

Cheers
Ian

They're VERY good!!
Easy one lift, up stairs down stairs, anywhere. They really do like to be pushed though, mine sounded really good at an outside gig a few weeks ago, well in a marquee. Only had my amp on about 11 O'clock without PA support. I do prefer the natural sound og the GS112's I used to have but you cant beat the portability and loudness of such a small cab.

It;s interesting how I arrived at Epifani to be honest. I'd originally decided that the PA route was where I should be going, for that full range 'flat' response.

I had a couple of Tech Soundsystem (now Tec-Amp) 4x10 cabs, that to be honest, maybe I made a mistake selling. I do miss them sorely.

I wanted to have one big cab that could deliver 'the goods' and be similar to the HIFI sound of my previous cabs. The Epifani does sound very similar, but the tweeter to my ears sounds a little raspy in comparison. Although turning it down has helped a treat. I think it's a sensitive li'l beggar!!

On the flip side though, there is one thing that the Techs as single cabs couldn't deliver in comparison to a big 6x10, and that is raw trouser flapping bottom end! (they were physically small boxes) I'd definitely have to use both cabs to match my Epi. I'd rather have too much and back it off, than struggle to get it from a cab. I'm running 1Kw off each side of my power amp, so I can drive the cab without any fear of meltdown!

One thing I have noticed in my cab (like the Techs, actually) is the less scooped response really does make your 'attack' and clarity stand out! Yup.. don't pretend to get the bassline right, cos the front row can hear you!! and the back row... and Mrs Miggins down at number 32... who is partially deaf.

Flipside... damn they are light! I think mine weighs in at a couple of kilos heavy than warwickhunt's Tech 6x10 at 32kg. Both are ridiculously easy to handle. Mine has rear handles and wheels allowing you to kick it up and push like a trolley.. but I promise you.. you can carry it fairly easily!

It depends on what sounds you're after and the depths of your pockets, but I'd recommend Epifani, Acme, Accugroove and Tech who are all fairly similar in comparison to other cabs.

[attachment=2337:promo_08_09006.JPG]

• 2 weeks later...

Just latched on to this thread and I should point out that there is the alternative to multiples (modular) cabs and the appropriate weight saving. I have to say that I agonised over the 2 small/medium sized cab v 1 big cab scenario for a long while. Though I have had moments where I've considered that 2 cabs might have made the logistics of being in 3 bands easier I am sooo glad I went for the one big 'light' cab. Like Dood I love the big trouser flap sound that you can achieve with cabs such as the Epi, Berg or Tech etc. and until recently I've never owned a 2x10 never mind a 4x10 that weighed less than my 30kg 6x10. Unbelievably it is actually also narrower than virtually any 210 or 410 that I've owned.

On balance if I was going to take all of a modular set-up to the majority of my gigs, I'd have to say that a big Neo equipped cab is the way to go BUT you do have to try before you buy as they aren't all the same! Dood and I will, I'm sure, one day get the chance to try these 6ers back to back and I for one can't wait to hear what similarity/differences there may be. Take into consideration that a pair of quality Neo cabs with multiple drivers (2x10 3x10 2x12 etc) will cost you the thick end of £1000 - £1500 and the combined weight of even the lightest pair will exceed 40kg, then a single 6x10 costing £800 - £1000 and weighing 8-10 kg less that can be wheeled (as the Tech and Epis can) in with one hand with gigbag on back and amp in other hand and you must have close to the ultimate one haul carry in!

I've had no issue with Neo reliability in my experiences with EBS 2x12, Tech 2x10 & 1x15 and my present 6x10.

There is definitely a lot to be said for tall slim and relatively lightweight cabs that can be easily wheeled about yet are light enough to pick up on your own. The Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 15TB that I'll be building next year is 2" shorter, 1" narrower, and the same depth as the Tech 6x10" and should weigh only about 5lbs more. Parts will cost about £250 but then I've got to build it!

Alex

I bought into the Epifani sound (from kjb on here) a few weeks ago when putting together my new rig - must say that so far I'm very impressed...

I'm 'only' using a UL112 but it sounds great... been jamming with it over the weekend but really looking forward to next weeks rehersal to try it out properly in a band setting.

By way of comparison I've been using an EA iAmp 200 combo with the wizzy 1x12 for several years now and the Epifani is certainly as good if not better that the EA - (bettter is clearly objective) they're different in as much as the Epifani seems a bit fuller and warmer, less hi-fi than the EA in my opinion.

Would like to try a bigger Epifani maybe a 310 or something but for the gigs I do I couldn't justify it and there's hardly room in the car as it is (I also look after the PA too)...

Very happy with my purchase - thanks again Kevin :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='68376' date='Oct 1 2007, 08:52 PM']There is definitely a lot to be said for tall slim and relatively lightweight cabs that can be easily wheeled about yet are light enough to pick up on your own. The Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 15TB that I'll be building next year is 2" shorter, 1" narrower, and the same depth as the Tech 6x10" and should weigh only about 5lbs more. Parts will cost about £250 but then I've got to build it!

Alex[/quote]

Again, another option that I considered but I went the route of 'no replacement for displacement', though I would dearly love to hear some of Bill's cabinet designs.

If you're handy with the old power tools and have the inclination to self-build then BFM or Thiele parameter design self builds could well save large wedges of cash whilst giving you low weight options (though I don't think you'll save on the volume... then again one cab with a couple of drivers and large volume may well outperform the current Neo equipped biggies).

[quote name='jwbassman' post='68378' date='Oct 1 2007, 08:56 PM']I bought into the Epifani sound (from kjb on here) a few weeks ago when putting together my new rig - must say that so far I'm very impressed...

I'm 'only' using a UL112 but it sounds great... been jamming with it over the weekend but really looking forward to next weeks rehersal to try it out properly in a band setting.

By way of comparison I've been using an EA iAmp 200 combo with the wizzy 1x12 for several years now and the Epifani is certainly as good if not better that the EA - (bettter is clearly objective) they're different in as much as the Epifani seems a bit fuller and warmer, less hi-fi than the EA in my opinion.

Would like to try a bigger Epifani maybe a 310 or something but for the gigs I do I couldn't justify it and there's hardly room in the car as it is (I also look after the PA too)...

Very happy with my purchase - thanks again Kevin :)[/quote]

Hey mate I'd love to try that 112 out some time if you fancy getting together I could bring my 310 for a comparison, may ask homer along with his neo 212?

Cheers

Mike

BTW we're playing a retirement party at the beaufort hotel ina month or so, any tips on the room?

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='68404' date='Oct 1 2007, 09:58 PM']Very pleased with my 'new' UL310 (thanks to Ari) based on experiences over the first few days... very light, powerful, punchy sound with a solid low end. Only tried in the house (at non-divorce inducing volumes :) ) so far, but really, really looking forward to band practice tomorrow :huh:[/quote]

Omy god you're in for a shock, lthe more watts you push through it the better it sounds!!! Crank it and try and stop smiling!!!

The best speaker combination I've ever tried is 2x10 and 1x15. Regrettably, I've found every Epi cab I've tried to be way too boomy, but very warm and crisp nevertheless. Nothing's managed to persuade me away from GK yet though. They're very articulate, with good warmth without sounding boomy. Adding a 2x10 to my 1x15 combo adds oodles of crispness and punchy midrange meaning I can pitch myself easily when playing fretless.

I had that set up going at rehearsal on Sunday, I looked at the amp as I was playing and thought, for the first time ever in my life, that there wasn't a bloody thing I could do to make it sound better. The only hitch was that the amp was looking for an 8ohm load and I'd given it a 4ohm 2x10 load instead so it was seeing a total load of something like 2.67777ohms (ouch). Too bad they don't make Acme cabs with a linking jack, eh? Otherwise...

...oof!

I've been using an Epi 3x10 for a few months now, it's one of the newer series 2 cabs.

It's a great sounding cab, it has a really nice bass response without being 'boomy', and a nice high end, it's a bit big though, that's the only real thing wrong with it, it's probably a bit bigger than some 4x10's.

They do have their own sound though, so you do need to try it before you buy it.

Ive gone through a love hate relationship with my UL212 in the last two months but now i really like it.
It seems up to the job and thats the most important thing. Still wish i had a 1212L though as my 1210R is much better built than my UL212 as some of you know. I had a bad experience with it when i first got it and build quality was worse than the box it came in IMO but all good now.
I also have a UL115 that i have been using recently and thats the best cab i have ever owned but at 8ohms its just the hardly used spare now.