Why become a member? ×

Any Big Band Players?

acidbass

Hello all,

I'm considering joining my university's Big Band next year. I think it would be a great challenge for me and really improve my reading skills and abilities in a band situation. It's Jazz, but mostly just Jazz standards and nothing too diverse or complex.

I'm sure there are lots here who have had experience in a similar situation - should I go for it? I have fairly limited experience with Jazz but I'm quite ambitious when it comes to learning new skills.

Cheers!

Danny

If you want to improve your reading, go for it. Big band stuff can be quite varied and a lot of the standards crop up in all kinds of gigs. Some of the best work I've ever got was as a result of depping for people because I could read (and I was always rubbish at learning stuff). It's also great discipline, and can help you realise where your technique is patchy!

Good luck

Mike

I've played Big Bands for years now, ever since I was at school. It's great. The better the band, the better it is, because you have less and less time to nail harder and harder pieces. Still gives me that flush of pride when I get given some nightmaring arrangement and I hit it first go. Also, when there's that many people the banter is excellent, especially on the road.

Which uni band you going for, by the way?

Defo - go for it, there's nothing quite as satifying as driving a big band... hard

My main gig is with a big band and we get the chance to play some great new charts as well as all the standards - it will improve your playing and expose you to some new music, which is always a good thing.

As Viajero said there's is a certain satisfaction in sight reading a new chart and getting pretty damn close to it - I've done a few deps with a local band who play some really tricky stuff but always enjoy the challenge.

All in all I would certainly recommend having a go... :)

[quote name='Viajero' post='5175' date='May 23 2007, 03:09 PM']Which uni band you going for, by the way?[/quote]

Queens University in Belfast. I've seen photos of them before, and the current bass player uses an electric bass, so hopefully I wouldn't be expected to play upright. He looked kinda old too, which makes me think he may have just been standing in until a student of the University filled the role. Of course, he could be a mature student!

Going to audition in Summer anyway I think....need to get my reading up to scratch before that though! I'm glad I only have one note to play/read at a time :)

The bass player probably looked old because, if my experience is anyhting to go by, he's probably a postgrad who's had the chair for ten years and wont let anyone else get an audition. Certainly that's what's happened in my uni band.

Anyway, tear up the audition. Hope you get it.

:)
Go for it. I joined one just to be the number 2 bass player in an effort to improve my reading and play some different music. It's been great and I've played a lot big band arrangements of standard 60's and 70's function band stuff as well as jazz standards. It has given me a new perspective on bass parts.

Once I finally get my reading up to speed I know there will be gigs a-plenty with other bands who nead a reader to dep. Upright (electric upright is OK) would be an asset but is not essential.

Graham