Why become a member? ×

Great Bass Players

Kaiu

I apologise if this has already been covered, but i'd like some inspiration.
There are a lot of great bassists out there, but the ones I hear the most about, in my experience, are the ones who have the oportunity to shine. More often than not its because bass plays an enourmously important role, e.g in Funk, Jazz etc
Also it's often because they have a lot of sonic space within which to play. e.g off the top of my head Chris Wolstenholme.

I'm in a band with 5 members: 2 guitars, 1 keyboard/synth, three vocals, bass and drums, and I often find it hard to make interesting bass lines with so much going. I come up with some average/decent fills, but its usually when something drops out, or in order to link passages, for the rest of the time I find myself firmly planted on the route notes.

Can anyone recommend me a bassist who, despite having so much to contend with, still manages to create interesting and inspiring bass lines that are integral to the song?

I know, it sounds alot but I'm just looking for some bands to listen to for inspiration on how to be dynamic and creative in such a small sonic space.

[quote name='neilb' post='62265' date='Sep 18 2007, 06:41 PM']Jamiroquai for starters - Paul is an innovative bassist and their band is big.[/quote]

thanks, had forgotten about them!

[quote name='Mikey D' post='62269' date='Sep 18 2007, 06:50 PM']You don't get many bands much bigger than Earth Wind and Fire. So Verdine White.[/quote]

Havn't heard much of them (please don't hit me!!), off to itunes I go!
thanks! keep em coming :)

Francis "Rocco" Prestia from Tower of Power is one that springs to mind but [i]the[/i] bassist that shines through as part of a big band arrangement is James Jamerson on much of the Motown material.

Darryl Jones playing on the live Rolling Stones shows is fantastic - check out Live Licks for that.

Duck Dunn from any of the Blues Brothers albums - that's a big band with very prominent bass.

Nathan Watts who plays with Stevie Wonder always shines through a very big mix.

Wow, I've got myself all worked up and I'll be listening to that lot before going to bed tonight.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='62345' date='Sep 18 2007, 09:06 PM']Mick Karn, JJ Burnell, Geddy Lee, Nick Beggs, Norman Watt Roy, Peter Hook,[/quote]

what a great forum! thanks, will be up late tonight checking that lot out.
Alot of the names I already recognise, but it wasn't exactly stuff that was in my 'on the go' playist on my mp3 player.

Ha, loving the Earth, Wind and Fire stuff, reminds me of my mum's 40th Bday party...

Colin Moulding of XTC fame is one of those off the wall" bassists I should get more of - see Mayor of Simpleton for an example of what I mean:

I also think Pete Trewavas (Marillion) matches your description - a bassist who really makes songs work. :)

Edited by bnt

[b]Peter Cetera[/b] with Chicago on albums from CTA - XI.... he had to contend with a horn section, drummer, percussionist, keys and a guitarist rated better than Hendrix. He still managed to come up with superb melodic, rhythmically grooving basslines reminiscent of McCartney/Jamerson.... and all while singing!! :huh: ^_^

[b]Tiran Porter[/b] with The Doobie Brothers. Had to contend with 2 drummers, a percussionist, up to 3 guitarists, a keyboard player and huge harmony vocals..... and still cut through with beautifully composed basslines.... :)

[quote name='cetera' post='62561' date='Sep 19 2007, 10:59 AM'][b]Peter Cetera[/b] with Chicago on albums from CTA - XI.... he had to contend with a horn section, drummer, percussionist, keys and a guitarist rated better than Hendrix. He still managed to come up with superb melodic, rhythmically grooving basslines reminiscent of McCartney/Jamerson.... and all while singing!! :huh: ^_^

[b]Tiran Porter[/b] with The Doobie Brothers. Had to contend with 2 drummers, a percussionist, up to 3 guitarists, a keyboard player and huge harmony vocals..... and still cut through with beautifully composed basslines.... :)[/quote]

Thanks! Read an article on Tiran the other day, might have been in bass player magazine. Apparently The Doobie Brothers had a reunion in 1987 which consisted of most of the members that had ever played with them, it ended up being four drummers, a percussionist, four guitar players,two keyboard players and Tiran! mental...

[quote name='Kaiu' post='62598' date='Sep 19 2007, 12:20 PM']Thanks! Read an article on Tiran the other day, might have been in bass player magazine. Apparently The Doobie Brothers had a reunion in 1987 which consisted of most of the members that had ever played with them, it ended up being four drummers, a percussionist, four guitar players,two keyboard players and Tiran! mental...[/quote]

That's right! He FINALLY got a feature article in Bass Player after 35 years of professional playing....

I'm lucky enough to know him personally and have visited him iat his home in California many times and he is one of the most solid, grooving and meolidc players I've ever had the pleasure to hear....
He LOVED that 'reunion' tour.... though apparently locking in with four drummers with varying ideas of exactly where the 'pocket' lay was kinda interesting..... :) :huh:

Jimmy Johnson when he's playing with james taylor - there's usually alot going on - couple of guitars, keys, drums,percussion, horns and god knows how many backing vocals.

Phil Lesh - grateful dead, 2 guitars, 2 drummers keys and vocals and h still manages to make his pesence felt.

Just been looking at Phil Collins' website forum after he was mentioned in another thread here, wondering if he was still working with [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leland_Sklar"][b]Leland Sklar[/b][/url] - another Great Bass Player.

There's an [url="http://www.philcollins.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=101"]Ask Leland Sklar[/url] thread there where I found out more: Phil's done his "First Final Farewell Tour", so that's that for work with Phil - till the next final farewell tour. :) Meanwhile, Leland toured with Lyle Lovett last year, has recorded with Rod Stewart, and this year he's subbing with... Toto! (Mike Porcaro has a hand injury... but Toto is in good hands.)

Edited by bnt

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jacko' post='62630' date='Sep 19 2007, 11:49 AM']Jimmy Johnson when he's playing with james taylor - there's usually alot going on - couple of guitars, keys, drums,percussion, horns and god knows how many backing vocals.[/quote]

+1 on Jimmy Johnson, for me the worlds current master of tasteful and supremely musical/interesting bass playing

[quote name='bnt' post='62772' date='Sep 19 2007, 05:10 PM']Just been looking at Phil Collins' website forum after he was mentioned in another thread here, wondering if he was still working with [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leland_Sklar"][b]Leland Sklar[/b][/url] - another Great Bass Player.

There's an [url="http://www.philcollins.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=101"]Ask Leland Sklar[/url] thread there where I found out more: Phil's done his "First Final Farewell Tour", so that's that for work with Phil - till the next final farewell tour. :) Meanwhile, Leland toured with Lyle Lovett last year, has recorded with Rod Stewart, and this year he's subbing with... Toto! (Mike Porcaro has a hand injury... but Toto is in good hands.)[/quote]

Gotta love that "selected discography" on the Wikipedia page...

Listen to Chris Squire. Either listen to his (only) solo album called Fish Out Of Water, or listen to a Yes album. Listen to one of their 70s albums, especially Relayer. He's one of the most original and entertaining bassists I've ever heard. He'll definately show you something different. Yes had complex arrangements, yet Chris' playing was so free and inspired, like a breath of fresh air.

Also, listen to Geddy Lee's basswork from the 80s. He did some really cool stuff there. They were the tightest band ever, with really complex peices, and you would be amazed with his composure and speed.
And listen to a band called Starcastle. Wonderful melodies from a player who took a lot of inspiration from Chris Squire.

Edited by onslo

Neil Murray always gets my vote:

With [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJP4tdlImI"]Gary Moore, Don Airey & Ian Paice[/url] (but I turned it off at the drum solo - yawn)

With [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=disQySVNdEc"]Whitesnake[/url] - sound dubbed (badly) from the album version, which means you can actually hear him.

Pete.

my man is Douglas Rauch! the man who invented the double thumbing!! although the "second" Santana band had 3 percussionists, two keys and two guitars, rauch layered some of the sickest lines ever!!! Caravanserai is THE album for bad ass grooves. his playing with Billy Cobham is amazing, he tears thru a monsters’ 29/16 time signature with no problem on the life and times album. shame the man died so young.
in the pop context, Anthony Jackson on the naughty album by Chaka khan is a bad boy.
in metal i think I get rex browns point of keeping to the groove full stop! gotta love far beyond driven! its almost pop metal!!!