Why become a member? ×

DI Boxes and multi use - which one?

john_the_bass

I don't own a DI box, I usually rely on the soundman to have one or just DI post EQ from my Ashdown.
However, I play guitar in another band and think that a DI for acoustic guitar into our own PA would be very useful. If I buy a DI box (not somethinglike a Sansamp BDDI - just a straight DI box), is it going to be only suitable for Bass or Guitar? Obviously, I'd like to be able to use it for both in the instance that I have to bring my own box to a bass gig and should I be looking for an active or passive one?

Got one?

Look at Orchid Electronics - they do a really simple active DI that does the job well and doesn't cost a fortune. I've got a variation of this, with an added footswitch and tuner send, so you can mute the PA send and tune silently (and also unplug..or just mute if youre not playing). The muting version was under £50 a few years ago.

BB

• 2 weeks later...

Don't laugh, and it IS a contensious issue, but I own both the Beringer DI100 and the BSS AR133 (some say its the industry standard). They both sound the same and have the same functions and layout. In fact, I believe the DI100 won a Dutch radio industry award.

The DI100 looks and feels like rubbish, and battery compartment is a piece of cr4p. Its apearance totally justifies its price tag of 1/3 of the price of the AR133 . The beautifully built AR133 has a tough paint job, and proper toggle switches ............, but switches break. I once used a AR133 where one of the cut switches killed the output completely! That said, the AP133 is rider friendly and pro crews respect it.