Why become a member? ×

envelope filter/funk machine

Kev

right, i know these threads probably exist, but everyone else starts a new topic so i thought i might as wel

as some of you guys know i recently got rid of most my single stompboxes (minus my 2 akais and the mammoth) in favour of the boss gt-6b. i am very impressed with the unit HOWEVER being boss the envelope filter, they call it touch wah, sounds sh*te.

soooo can i be recommended a filter please

i want the opposite of subtle, somethin really squarky/sir psycho sexy esque. iv had a mini and micro qtron, and they wernt really delivering the sound i wanted.

any recommendations? i was looking at the discombobulator

[quote name='BassManKev' post='62540' date='Sep 19 2007, 10:45 AM']i forgot about that pedal, i was gassing for that last year

is it any good? theres mix reviews on ebs pedals on a whole[/quote]

I've not owned it for long enough to really comment, I'm still playing with the settings. So far I like it, it was easy to create some interesting/useful sounds, and the one sound I actually wanted from it (a quick bootsy-style "quack") is in there. I haven't taken the back off yet - I hear that there's an internal trim pot that can be fiddled with, but I've no idea what happens if you do. The unit is surprisingly small, which is a bit of a bonus too.

[quote name='funkysimon' post='62571' date='Sep 19 2007, 11:29 AM']I've not owned it for long enough to really comment, I'm still playing with the settings. So far I like it, it was easy to create some interesting/useful sounds, and the one sound I actually wanted from it (a quick bootsy-style "quack") is in there. I haven't taken the back off yet - I hear that there's an internal trim pot that can be fiddled with, but I've no idea what happens if you do. The unit is surprisingly small, which is a bit of a bonus too.[/quote]

I just got mine this week and i really like it. Not used it for a gig yet (this Sat will be its first outing) but having fun with it at home. I also wanted it for the same sort of sound as you.
I dont like the longer attack settings but its got the sounds i heard in my head so im happy. Cant hear much difference turning the trim pot though.
And its bloody heavy isn't it?

so, another recommendation for the IQ. I also have a mini Q-tron but dont use it now i have the IQ.

right so these are the pedals recomended (disregarding mutron due to price):

ebs bass iq
maxon af-9
exar pignose

none of these seem that readily available in the uk, but id like to no more about them. think sir psycho sexy. think of that awesome envelope sound. do any of those 3 nail it?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='63145' date='Sep 20 2007, 03:30 PM']right so these are the pedals recomended (disregarding mutron due to price):

ebs bass iq
maxon af-9
exar pignose

none of these seem that readily available in the uk, but id like to no more about them. think sir psycho sexy. think of that awesome envelope sound. do any of those 3 nail it?[/quote]

I got my IQ from Thomann's for £134 delivered. The Bass Centre sell them for £139.

There are sound samples on the EBS website.

As its only two knobs its quite basic compared to the Maxon but the sounds it does it does them well.

Come this Sat Brown eyed girl and pretty woman will sound like never before ;-)

I'd add the ToneFactor 442b - if you can find one... (ToneFactor are now called MojoHand I think)

I have a BassIQ as well - its great advantage is having a reverse mode (Awh rather than Wah, if you follow me)- but the ToneFactor is definitely my fave filter so far...

isnt the tonefactor pretty subtle in comparison to others?

is there a particular reason why like noone ever talks about a qtron or qtron+? or why hardly anyone has one? alot of people ave mini/micro's, but not the actual thing..... how bout the xo qtron+

Edited by BassManKev

I recently got rid of all my stompboxes in favour of a Bass POD XT, which has a fantastic filter sound, better than the DOD FX25, MXR Auto Q and EHX Dr Q I have used previously.

Its also incredibly flexible - as is the nature of the bass POD - in that you can get almost any sound you like out of it, given time learning how to manipulate it.

well i have the gt-6b, which on the effects front i find to be superior to the pod xt, with the pod xt having better amp models, but ye the envelope on the boss leaves alot to be desired, may suit some but much to subtle for me