Why become a member? ×

Where to get gigs?

funkysimon

The jazz funk band I play in (Acuphuncture, the link is in my sig) is looking for gigs, but we're kind of running up again the problem that the local scene is really dominated by pesky indie kids; it's kind of difficult to get gigs with anyone other bands in the local pubs. Most of the local jazz scene is focussed on jam sessions. We're wondering about trying to break into the corporate/wedding circuit, but then we'd have to change what we play; currently we're mixing covers with original tunes, and we really hope to keep playing whatever we want to, rather than have to cater for a wider audience. Not that our music won't get people dancing, we just don't want to play Disco Inferno :)

Does anyone have any advice on how to get gigs, or been in a similar situation?

When i played in a funk band we went to a local club and pestered them into putting on a funk club night with a house band (use) and a DJ. Always went down really well with the punters who, after a usual gig out want a boogie.

Trick is to put it on later at night, like 11pm on or something so you get that 'booting out time' from local venues who have propper club nights on.

G