Why become a member? ×

Modulus Flea for swaps [NOT ANYMORE]

Waldo

Just putting the feelers out on this one. It's a 2005 model in sparkle blue with all the flea trimmings, matching headstock, SD Basslines pickup, aguilar OBP-1, badass bridge and modulus hardcase. I'm the original owner, it's in good condition save for one ding on the site and the other odd nick here and there.

Am looking for a trade for another high-end bass, nothing in particular just something interesting really. I'm just after something different, particularily interested in warwicks at the moment. Would consider five strings and maybe a bass + cash. This is a £2000+ bass, so sensible offers only please!

Any questions please ask.

Edited by Waldo

I'm surprised this is still here, when I advertsied my identical FB4 a few months back people were all over it! I wonder if Flea's performances here over the summer have damaged his reputation? I understand however that, having started out playing jazzes on this tour, he reverted to the Moduli as a response to criticisms of his live sound.
This really is an amazing bass and, having now got mine back, I am sure I won't be parting with it again. I almost feel guilty playing mine live now because it makes me sound so much better than I actually am :)
Good luck with the sale/trade
Chris

[quote name='Waldo' post='63077' date='Sep 20 2007, 01:24 PM']Just putting the feelers out on this one. It's a 2005 model in sparkle blue with all the flea trimmings, matching headstock, SD Basslines pickup, aguilar OBP-1, badass bridge and modulus hardcase. I'm the original owner, it's in good condition save for one ding on the site and the other odd nick here and there.

Am looking for a trade for another high-end bass, nothing in particular just something interesting really. I'm just after something different, particularily interested in warwicks at the moment. Would consider five strings and maybe a bass + cash. This is a [size=6]£2000+[/size] bass, so sensible offers only please!

Any questions please ask.

[/quote]

Really? I've been quoted less

Smart-Distribution (the UK Modulus importer) were selling the exact same bass on their website for £2065, so I'm only quoting them. I'm sure you could get it a bit cheaper than that elsewhere but my point is that it's not a cheap bass.

EDIT: Cheers for the Streamer offers but I'll have to pass on those. Thanks anyway.

Edited by Waldo

[quote]Bump for a quality bit of kit that should have been snapped up by now...[/quote]

Cheers for the bump. It is a quality peice of kit :)

I'm going to put this on hold at present as I've got a new bass sorted BUT this probably will be for actual sale (not trade) sometime soon so keep an eye out!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='66184' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:52 PM']Yo, how much are we talking for this bass?

I really like it![/quote]

Yo, guys, a Flea spec bass isn't £2065, check out the SMART website and you'll see this spec bass is now £1805. Must be the movement in the Dollar/Pound rate during the year that has brought the price down. Apparently, Modulus only run the flake finishes a couple of times during a year 'cos of the long clean-up time this finish causes in the spray shop. SMART say flake finishes are running at a 12 month lead-time! Standard paint jobs apparently are now on 6 months. They say its down to a surge in demand from the US market.

Aren't those photos taken from SMART's Flea pages??? Got any of the real bass?

[quote name='Bassman7' post='71398' date='Oct 9 2007, 06:44 AM']Yo, guys, a Flea spec bass isn't £2065, check out the SMART website and you'll see this spec bass is now £1805.[/quote]

Price varies with spec, specifically pre-amp, bridge and finish. I think Waldo's is pretty close to the top end price-wise.
Fluctuating dollar doesn't really devalue the bass though, it's awesome and - as I know from experience - it would take you over a year to get that bass in that spec to the UK new.
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='71403' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:05 AM']Price varies with spec, specifically pre-amp, bridge and finish. I think Waldo's is pretty close to the top end price-wise.
Fluctuating dollar doesn't really devalue the bass though, it's awesome and - as I know from experience - it would take you over a year to get that bass in that spec to the UK new.
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

Spec always changes the price but £1805 is the biz with matching headstock, Bassline MM pickup, Aguilar OBP-1, Baddass II bridge, the lot! Same spec as the man himself. Me thinks I should order one....

[quote name='Bassman7' post='71410' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:23 AM']Spec always changes the price but £1805 is the biz with matching headstock, Bassline MM pickup, Aguilar OBP-1, Baddass II bridge, the lot! Same spec as the man himself. Me thinks I should order one....[/quote]

It'll take a year!
Good luck
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='71450' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:03 AM']It'll take a year!
Good luck
Chris[/quote]

But it will be hassle and worry free as any purchase from those nice guys at SMART, I just read your experience on your Flea, ouch! I hope it all comes together for you though as these are superb basses! Post us a pickie when your bass is ready!

Edited by Bassman7

I've had a check on the smart-distribution site, it seems the price has changed now, sorry about that. It definatly WAS £2065 when they had the bass in thier online stock though. By my calculations it would be £1805 plus however much it costs to supply and fit a badass bridge, so it's still going to be the best part of two grand for it. Besides, I'm not trying to sell it for that much anyway, I was only pointing out that it's an expensive bass and thus don't want any silly offers for it! :)

[quote]Aren't those photos taken from SMART's Flea pages??? Got any of the real bass?[/quote]

There's a very good reason for why I've taken the photos from the SMART website. That's becuase they're actually pictures MY bass, as I bought it from them!

[quote name='Waldo' post='72046' date='Oct 10 2007, 10:38 AM']I've had a check on the smart-distribution site, it seems the price has changed now, sorry about that. It definatly WAS £2065 when they had the bass in thier online stock though. By my calculations it would be £1805 plus however much it costs to supply and fit a badass bridge, so it's still going to be the best part of two grand for it. Besides, I'm not trying to sell it for that much anyway, I was only pointing out that it's an expensive bass and thus don't want any silly offers for it! :)
There's a very good reason for why I've taken the photos from the SMART website. That's becuase they're actually pictures MY bass, as I bought it from them![/quote]

Well, great photos!! Saves you the trouble of a shoot. BTW the £1805 includes the Badass II bridge. Shame you're going to lose such a great bass!

Edited by Bassman7

[quote name='Beedster' post='71403' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:05 AM']Price varies with spec, specifically pre-amp, bridge and finish. I think Waldo's is pretty close to the top end price-wise.
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

Just curious, but how long has the process taken you from beginning to now to get the Flea you wanted? Does this work out cheaper than a new one?

[quote name='Bassman7' post='72155' date='Oct 10 2007, 01:46 PM']Just curious, but how long has the process taken you from beginning to now to get the Flea you wanted? Does this work out cheaper than a new one?[/quote]
The whole process has probably worked out around £500 cheaper than buying new, despite the hassles, the repair, and the refin. FB4s come up used in the US between $1200 and $2000. Some are in bad condition and so it's a risk. Given the current weak dollar, you can't lose however if you get a decent dealer or honest seller. Over and above this, I doubt I would have had it in my hands yet had I ordered it through the UK dealer 6 months ago, not in the blue finish anyway (Modulus only run them once a year).
If you want an FB4 in this spec, I'd talk nicely to Waldo!
Cheers
Chris

[quote]BTW the £1805 includes the Badass II bridge.[/quote]

Hmm, you must be reading something I can't find! AFAIK, they don't come as standard, they never used used to. Perhaps they do now, although I can't find anything that says that. The fact that the Modulus site is years out of date doesn't help really....

There's a nice looking Flea J5 on ebay right now that was actually used Flea, very cool:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Modulus-Flea-J5-Jazz-5-5-StringBass_W0QQitemZ220158556892QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Modulus-Flea-J5-Jazz...VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Would just like to point out that this ad was only supposed to be a feeler. I'll be putting up a proper for sale ad when I get round to it with proper pictures e.t.c, as there is some cosmetic damage that needs to be pointed out.

[quote name='Bassman7' date='Oct 9 2007, 06:44 AM' post='71398']
Yo, guys, a Flea spec bass isn't £2065, check out the SMART website and you'll see this spec bass is now £1805. Must be the movement in the Dollar/Pound rate during the year that has brought the price down. Apparently, Modulus only run the flake finishes a couple of times during a year 'cos of the long clean-up time this finish causes in the spray shop. SMART say flake finishes are running at a 12 month lead-time! Standard paint jobs apparently are now on 6 months. They say its down to a surge in demand from the US market.

Aren't those photos taken from SMART's Flea pages??? Got any of the real bass?

MB1. :)
sh*t, thats ED STRAKER!

[quote name='Waldo' date='Oct 10 2007, 03:37 PM' post='72216']
Hmm, you must be reading something I can't find! AFAIK, they don't come as standard, they never used used to. Perhaps they do now, although I can't find anything that says that. The fact that the Modulus site is years out of date doesn't help really....

Badass come as standard now but bever used to. I have one of the very sexy older bridges :)
Chris