Why become a member? ×

Weird request sort of

thedontcarebear

I don't know who saw them, but a while ago people in brazil were selling bass bodies on ebay, basically you'd get them and finish them off, I was going to do this, so I ordered one, but it arrived and the frets were wonky (oh yes, would you believe that!), so I just kinda gave up on it, and it's been here at work in a corner ever since, BUT it is kinda cool, I just have no idea about doing it, and lack the motivation, is there anyone here that would be up for finishing it for me? As cheap as possible really, I have quite a few bits that I might use for it, but it has space for 2 MM pups, and would like to use just one and get a scratchplate made (in wood) etc too, so, really, any help/suggestions etc, will get some pics when I am at home soon!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='63666' date='Sep 21 2007, 03:54 PM']I don't know who saw them, but a while ago people in brazil were selling bass bodies on ebay, basically you'd get them and finish them off, I was going to do this, so I ordered one, but it arrived and the frets were wonky (oh yes, would you believe that!), so I just kinda gave up on it, and it's been here at work in a corner ever since, BUT it is kinda cool, I just have no idea about doing it, and lack the motivation, is there anyone here that would be up for finishing it for me? As cheap as possible really, I have quite a few bits that I might use for it, but it has space for 2 MM pups, and would like to use just one and get a scratchplate made (in wood) etc too, so, really, any help/suggestions etc, will get some pics when I am at home soon![/quote]

I would be interested, but I've got a bit too much on my plate, with the fretless I'm putting together and the Hagstrom renovation.

Here are the pictures, I guess they should explain everything that needs doing, but I am not an expert, it needs sanding and finishing (in the cheapest way), then I guess a new fretboard, or even the neck cut off and a new one put on? etc etc....

Like I said before, I have a few parts that could be used if needed, like bridge, pickup, preamp, warwick brass nut for this neck etc.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='63666' date='Sep 21 2007, 03:54 PM']I don't know who saw them, but a while ago people in brazil were selling bass bodies on ebay, basically you'd get them and finish them off, I was going to do this, so I ordered one, but it arrived and the frets were wonky (oh yes, would you believe that!), so I just kinda gave up on it, and it's been here at work in a corner ever since, BUT it is kinda cool, I just have no idea about doing it, and lack the motivation, is there anyone here that would be up for finishing it for me? As cheap as possible really, I have quite a few bits that I might use for it, but it has space for 2 MM pups, and would like to use just one and get a scratchplate made (in wood) etc too, so, really, any help/suggestions etc, will get some pics when I am at home soon![/quote]

As it's what I do for a living I could certainly do it, though some of the tasks you describe might not be particularly cheap.

When you say the frets are "wonky" exactly what is wrong ? It might be possible to fill and recut the fret slots if things aren't too serious, replacing a board would add quite a bit to any total.

Sanding and oil-finishing would be cheaper than stripping and painting, if you PM me with a complete list of all task you want doing I can give you a price.

Paul - dont suppose you saw this thread did you....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4563"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4563[/url]?

Would this be a job you'd be interested in and could do for a reasonable price? PM me if you can mate - cheers, Stag