Why become a member? ×

South Wales Bass Bash Sun 29th Nov. Cardiff

OldGit

[quote name='mglamorgan' post='669360' date='Nov 29 2009, 07:18 PM']It was a nice afternoon. Thanks to the organizers.

It was nice meeting other bass players.

Hope we do it again.[/quote]

Very nice to meet you, Miguel, and nice of you to share your drummer with us :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='669466' date='Nov 29 2009, 09:01 PM']Thanks to all for coming out on such a dreadful day weatherwise, especially you guys who made it over from the mainland ...
You made all the organising worth while :)

I'll make a pictures thread ..[/quote]

Thanks for organising it, there was alot of nice gear there :rolleyes:

[quote name='OldGit' post='669459' date='Nov 29 2009, 08:57 PM']How light?

Stunning "you sure the speaker's in in here? Is it made of Balsa??" light
[attachment=37357:Upsie.jpg]
Apex catches his Barefaced cab during one of it's many attempts to float away.[/quote]

Ah, that explains why I got back to Bristol in and hour and a half whilst Rev Dave took three hours!! Must have floated over the traffic without noticing. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='669474' date='Nov 29 2009, 09:03 PM']Very nice to meet you, Miguel, and nice of you to share your drummer with us :)[/quote]

lol... It was good to listen to him playing. You did a great job choosing Jon to play with us...another plus for te event.

I'm really looking forward to the next one...will try to learn to play a bit more so I can try some gear next time... Lol

you guys were great.

What a great day, made the journeys in that godawful weather well worthwhile. Nice to meet you all, some good laughs had and some lovely gear lusted over and, best of all, all at a sensible volume with hardly any slap :rolleyes:
For me, basses of the day were the Eminence EUB and that stunning Marleaux fretless 5... and my GAS moment of the day was hearing my Shuke through Drewie's Bergatino cabs :) just when I though I was completely happy with my rig...
Many, many thanks to Si and Drewie for sorting it all out.

I really enjoyed yesterday - thanks to all for coming it was great to meet you. I took a few photos so will add them to the photo thread this evening.

Rich - glad you liked the Bergs. Your Shuker is an incredible instrument - def one of my favs. TONE! Both yours and Si's are wonderful.

So many lovely basses... Bev's G&L fretless was another fav of mine, as was his Tobias. The Lightwave was sweet too.

Thanks Si and Drewie for a great afternoon :)

Lovely bunch of people, great venue and a fab array of goodies to drool over. My faves were probably Bev's G&L fretless - possibly the nicest sounding fretless I've played, TheRev's lovely Eminence EUB and Drewie's Berg cabs which sounded really lovely. In fact I don't think there were many (if any!) instruments I didn't like :rolleyes:

The Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it" moments: The gravity defying Barefaced cab and the action on Vegas Hooker's P Bass ( I have never come across a P with such a low action).

Looking forward to the next one :lol:

Cheers
Alun

I had an awesome afternoon and I have to say a massive thanks to OldGit and Drewie for the time and effort made. It was well worth it, rain or not.

A lot of firsts for me;

First Fretless ever (Bev's Marleaux)
First 5 string (The Marleaux again)
First Shuker (Simons monster P Bass custom)
First Wal (Jasons stunning fretless)
First encounter with Markbass/Genz Benz/Bergantino/Schroeder gear. They all sounded awesome.

Personal highlight for me was the anti gravity Barefaced cab which Apex kindly allowed me to abuse with the Sunn before he packed up for home. It sounded fantastic with everything that went through it, and it was so light!!! Truly a revelation and I think I might have found my next cab.

I cant think of one thing I played, saw or heard that I didnt like except my own playing and I would really like to do it again.

[quote name='vegas_hooker' post='670326' date='Nov 30 2009, 07:34 PM']I had an awesome afternoon and I have to say a massive thanks to OldGit and Drewie for the time and effort made. It was well worth it, rain or not.

A lot of firsts for me;

First Fretless ever (Bev's Marleaux)
First 5 string (The Marleaux again)
First Shuker (Simons monster P Bass custom)
First Wal (Jasons stunning fretless)
First encounter with Markbass/Genz Benz/Bergantino/Schroeder gear. They all sounded awesome.

Personal highlight for me was the anti gravity Barefaced cab which Apex kindly allowed me to abuse with the Sunn before he packed up for home. It sounded fantastic with everything that went through it, and it was so light!!! Truly a revelation and I think I might have found my next cab.

I cant think of one thing I played, saw or heard that I didnt like except my own playing and I would really like to do it again.[/quote]

Nice to make a Vagas Hooker feel happy :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='671294' date='Dec 1 2009, 04:58 PM']Sold all the spare strings and managed to save my finacial bacon.

Even made enough to make a contriubution to BC and Prostate Cancer research..
Thanks to all (especially Hartke-UK who OK'd me selling the spares)

Phew..[/quote]

Yay! :)

[quote name='chris_pokkuri' post='672361' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:27 PM']Apologies for missing it guys - i've been ill recently, better now though. Hope you all had an awesome time![/quote]

Right! Every body back the studio.. Let's do it all again with Chris!

:)

Thanks for letting us know. Maybe in 18 months? on a sunny day? :rolleyes:

[quote name='OldGit' post='673140' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:23 PM']Right! Every body back the studio.. Let's do it all again with Chris![/quote]
What, now? God, yes please. It'd make a darned sight more sense than what I'm doing today. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys sorry to add this onto this post, but i thought id try and increase my chances of getting the attention of any bassists in the cardiff area :)
we are a band who are looking for a bassist to complete our lineup (we have a drummer, 2 guitars and 1 vocalist). We play heavy rock/metal style music with influences ranging from Metallica, Opeth, Inflames,etc. We have a female vocalist which adds a melodic dimension to our music. We currently try to rehearse weekly and are enjoying the creative processs of coming up with new songs. Our next aim is to start gigging and thats where we need YOU! lol
So if anyone is interested or would like to hear some songs let me know.
Thanks
Chris

[quote name='witeter' post='701482' date='Jan 5 2010, 12:31 PM']Hi guys sorry to add this onto this post, but i thought id try and increase my chances of getting the attention of any bassists in the cardiff area :)
we are a band who are looking for a bassist to complete our lineup (we have a drummer, 2 guitars and 1 vocalist). We play heavy rock/metal style music with influences ranging from Metallica, Opeth, Inflames,etc. We have a female vocalist which adds a melodic dimension to our music. We currently try to rehearse weekly and are enjoying the creative processs of coming up with new songs. Our next aim is to start gigging and thats where we need YOU! lol
Thanks
Chris[/quote]

Cheeky.. :rolleyes: Worth a go though

Have you advertised in the guitar shops, Gumtree and the musicians websites?
There were also adverts in the studio we held the event in...

There's a bassists wanted bit here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=25"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=25[/url]

[quote name='witeter' post='701482' date='Jan 5 2010, 12:31 PM']Hi guys sorry to add this onto this post, but i thought id try and increase my chances of getting the attention of any bassists in the cardiff area :)
Thanks
Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris, you should try SouthWalesMassive, plenty of musicians/local kids on there. Not my thing personally. At all :lol:

(Heavy Doom Riffs only, melody is for softies :rolleyes:)