Why become a member? ×

Which Rush songs to listen to??

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Lenny B' post='65018' date='Sep 24 2007, 09:28 PM']2112
Exit Stage Left[/quote]

+ 1 - my fave album and IMO Rush at the height of their fame. I am a secret drummer and that album is just awsome to play along to!

I am off to see them on the 12th at the NEC - last time was on the Bones album tour. The reviews I have read so far look good - look out for plenty of air drumming and air guitar.... :)

[quote name='poptart' post='65040' date='Sep 24 2007, 10:13 PM']+ 1 - my fave album and IMO Rush at the height of their fame. I am a secret drummer and that album is just awsome to play along to!

I am off to see them on the 12th at the NEC - last time was on the Bones album tour. The reviews I have read so far look good - look out for plenty of air drumming and air guitar.... :)[/quote]

I am an air drummer, and whilst Exit Stage Left is one of my top air drums albums, my no.1 is Physical Grafitti. I am brilliant at that.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow-up, I just wanted to say that Rush were brilliant at Wembley on Tuesday night, though from where I was sitting, the sound could have been a bit better.

I'm still not that familiar with the songs but as a live band, they really have something a bit special about them.

The drummer did a great solo in the second half and powered through the songs all night long. The guitarist, who someone here very amusingly said "..is slowly morphing into Peter Schmeichel :huh:, played more guitars in one show than I've ever seen!! Very good player though..

Geddy Lee is talked about a lot on bass forums including this one and certainly, he's very impressive to watch from a bass playing point of view. But to be honest, I was more blown away by his songwriting abilities and his ease at connecting with the audience. As I said to my friend from the States who sorted out the tickets, there's something almost 'shamanic' about Geddy which i didn't expect at all.

As for his basses and sound, I'd have loved to have heard him play his Wals, but he gets a great sound out of his array of Jazz basses. I was surprised that when he used his Rickenbacker in the encore, it didn't really cut through the mix IMHO. Quite how he does it all; sing, play bass, play keyboards, use footpedals and lead the band, I don't know. He's obviously a very talented person!!

Best thing though was his sense of humour, as shown by his choice of bass rig which I'm not quite sure how to describe, but here's a picture of it:

[attachment=2811:Oct_07_223.jpg]

I'd definitely go and see them again, that's for sure...

Anyway, thanks for all the song suggestions and to Walman for the loan of the DVD & CDs....Good to see you there as well Nig!

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='63953' date='Sep 22 2007, 10:28 AM']Hi Folks

A friend of mine is coming over from the States in October and he's a mate of Geddy Lee so he's invited me to go see them at Wembley with him; free tickets, access all areas, get to meet the band afterwards etc, etc!! All of which is brilliant and I realise I'm very lucky to be asked..I'm sure it'll be a real blast and I'm really looking forward to it!

But, to be honest, I've never listened to Rush before and don't know anything about them other than the fact that Geddy is a great player and certainly, one of the most respected bassists around. Truth be told, I'm probably more aware of him as a bassist because he has long been a user of Wal basses, rather than knowing of him through his music - though I understand he pretty much uses a Fender Jazz all the time these days?

Anyway, to spare my blushes, I really need to swot up a bit beforehand. So I wanted to ask all you Rush / Geddy fans which Rush tunes are the real gems in their collection, the ones I should definitely get to know before Oct 9th??

Any help much appreciated, thanks :)

Nik[/quote]

Edited by silverfoxnik

I saw them Tuesday too. The sound wasnt very good to start with, but as the gig went on the sound got better. Im pleased they played a few of my fav songs they never normally play (i wont spoil it for others)

Pleased to see Geddy pull out the Rickenbacker too. And the chickens, utter madness.

Nick

[quote name='Huw' post='72677' date='Oct 11 2007, 10:54 AM']Is he playing through 3 fridges?[/quote]

No they are chicken ovens or whatever the term for them is :huh: (the ones you see in supermarkets). I preferred his Washing machines when I went to see them on the 30th anniversary tour :) he got so much of a better tone out of them 1x18" washing machine speakers :huh:

Those are three big Chicken Rotiserrie machines.

I went last night (10th) to Wembley and they were stunning. Superb sound (loud) and the show was everything you'd expect.

I even saw Chris (Status) but he was gone by too fast for me to say 'Hi'.

Trev

Edited by Road Dog

[quote name='Road Dog' post='72689' date='Oct 11 2007, 11:11 AM']Those are three big Chicken Rotiserrie machines.[/quote]
Spot on Trev.. he even had someone come on stage and baste the chickens (or something else wierd like that) during the show.. It was the 3 microphones that really cracked me up though! :)

Yep...a good show on tuesday, 1st set sound was poor where I was up in the side about half way back, low mix guitar, low bass freq popping my head and splitting my chest, soft vox, but the second half was great, nik...hows the roscoe ? as for the band im a great neil peart fan now, funny how all drummers want to do a bit of jazz ! and by and large even if you dont like 'old stagers' like rush, they will give any bands half their age a cracking run for their money as musicians, performers and writers. My 15 yr old son came and loved them, so they even cross the age divide, no mean feat for a bunch of aging canadian hippies. :)

Edited by nig

[quote name='nig' post='73368' date='Oct 12 2007, 02:47 PM']Yep...a good show on tuesday, 1st set sound was poor where I was up in the side about half way back, low mix guitar, low bass freq popping my head and splitting my chest, soft vox, but the second half was great, nik...hows the roscoe ? as for the band im a great neil peart fan now, funny how all drummers want to do a bit of jazz ! and by and large even if you dont like 'old stagers' like rush, they will give any bands half their age a cracking run for their money as musicians, performers and writers. My 15 yr old son came and loved them, so the even cross the age divide, no mean feat for a bunch of aging canadian hippies. :huh:[/quote]
Good to see you there Nig and it's great your son enjoyed it. As you say, "no mean feat for a bunch of ageing Canadian hippies! The drum solo was good wasn't it :)

The Roscoe needs a set up but first impressions are that it's brilliant..It could even oust my Lakland as my No 1 gigging bass...

Cheers

Nik