Why become a member? ×

PA system

Finbar

Okay, so my apologies if this is the wrong place, but it's ampy/cabby stuff I guess.

Anyway, my band is currently using a pay-by-the-hour practice room, and we're fed up of it. We're looking at moving into our own room, but we are presented with the problem of not having a PA, as one was always provided at the old place.

We are poor students, so we want to try and get one on the cheap. Preferably a couple of hundred quid or something :/

We'd be happy with a cheap Peavey rig or something, those things seem to be built like tanks. Just a couple of speakers would do, we don't need bass bins and all that stuff.

Are there any suggestions? Or heads ups on some good second hand deals?

Cheers,

Chris

[quote name='Finbar' post='64489' date='Sep 23 2007, 08:58 PM']Okay, I need to look into this further :)

Today we decided we would probably get an unpowered mixer and powered monitor speakers... This sound like a good idea? Are any of those peavey speakers powered?[/quote]

Buy Wharfedale EVPXP range..... and a small mixer.... sorted!

[quote name='Finbar' post='64489' date='Sep 23 2007, 08:58 PM']Today we decided we would probably get an unpowered mixer and powered monitor speakers... This sound like a good idea? Are any of those peavey speakers powered?[/quote]

If the vocals are the only thing going into the PA, then a small mixer (I like Soundcrafts) into any powered speakers (or a power amp + unpowered speakers) would do it.

Any kind of budget in mind?

Don't really have much of a budget in mind - basically as cheap as possible. A few hundred would be ideal really.

I'll look into some of these suggestions though :)

And the room may be expensive, but only to kit out with PA and old sofa and stuff... It's only £2 a week more than a 4 hour session in a practice room weekly is, and we'd use it more than 4 hours if we could. We will also probably sublet, so all is well :huh:

Finding a band (or two) to share your own space is a great idea in theory, but you have to both know and trust the people you share with, unless you'll all be bringing your own kit every time. I don't think there's anyone out there that hasn't had a single problem in this area.

However, it is great to have your own space whenever you want it. Certainly works for me!

We got a couple of Carlsbro Gamma 15/600's and a cheapo mixer. Cost about £500, but again split that cost and its all not too bad. Worked out about £100 each.

I can also recommend the older Peavey stuff. Its not great, but it works pretty well for a dirty little system, second hand they may look tatty but recones are cheap and the Black Widow cone can be replaced in about 25 minutes for about £50 if you know what you're after. Hi-sys or Euro-sys PA speakers should be pretty cheap and will last you well for a couple of hundred quid.

A little mixer and power amp will probably give you the greatest flexibility on a budget rather than buying a powered mixer. £50 will get you a few channels so you can run vocals and keys or whatever. A cheap power amp won't be more than £100. That way, if you want to get a bigger system you can upgrade each part one at a time, e.g. buy some more speakers and another amp, you can use what you've got as monitors and use the Pa for gigs etc. etc.

I would certainly recommend buying something a little more expensive rather than buying the absolute cheapest thing you can afford as you really do still pay for quality, especially in terms of durability in components. Research the manufacturer, also try asking any local PA hire companies as you should be able to rent similar systems relatively cheaply to try out and see what you'll get for your money. If you're really lucky they might even have something old and battered for a few quid lying out the back...

If you want any other advice, gimme a shout. I worked in a Pro-Audio hire and sales shop for five years while on the road training as a sound engineer...

Edited by DrGonzo