Why become a member? ×

Hugh Manson building Led Zep Guitars

beerdragon

Hugh Manson is building John Paul Jones basses for the Led Zeppelin reunion, one Bass he describes as extra long!, intriguing
[url="http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=137199&command=displayContent&sourceNode=136986&contentPK=18386639&folderPk=79934&pNodeId=137002"]http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode....;pNodeId=137002[/url]

[quote name='MB1' post='64150' date='Sep 22 2007, 06:47 PM']MB1. :)

JPJ has been using Manson basses for years he has several multistrung manson basses.Ive never actually seen any body else endorse Manson but JPJ.So this comes as no suprise, really!.[/quote]

Thanks, must admit i lost touch with JPJ after Zep. so i dont really what he's playing. it was the extra long bit that interested me.

[quote name='MB1' post='64150' date='Sep 22 2007, 07:47 PM']JPJ has been using Manson basses for years he has several multistrung manson basses. Ive never actually seen any body else endorse Manson but JPJ.So this comes as no suprise, really!.[/quote]

For an idea of what JPJ can get up to with his Manson 10-string, have a look at [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHWxLruLvA"]this[/url]. He's not exactly "the guy at the back of the stage" any more... :)

PS: There is one other famous Manson endorser: Muse's Matt Bellamy. I think Matt tapped Manson because he grew up in Devon, where Manson is based.

Maybe JPJ is having Hugh Manson make a 4 string, tuned in 4ths but down a tone (or more) from 'standard'. They might think that it needs an instrument with a slightly longer scale length. That's one theory on the 'longer bass' anyway !!

I must be the only person who isn't excited about the Zep re-union, never really liked 'em.... :ph34r:

I remember years ago, I used to spend most of my pocket money on guitar mags.

There used to be a magazine called Music UK, one of the first ones that I bought featured some reviews of ER basses built by Manson, I think there was a 5 string and an 8, I can't remember the other, but for their time, the designs were years ahead of what everyone else was doing.

Mansons is just what a guitar shop should be if you ask me - great premises, great stock but most of all great staff. Took my daughter in there last week to buy her first 3/4 size guitar for £40 and they gave us just as good a service as if we were spending hundreds.

(Plus Hugh said he liked my bass which is enough to keep me coming back on its own!)

[quote name='bnt' post='64161' date='Sep 22 2007, 08:08 PM']For an idea of what JPJ can get up to with his Manson 10-string, have a look at [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHWxLruLvA"]this[/url]. He's not exactly "the guy at the back of the stage" any more... :huh:

PS: There is one other famous Manson endorser: Muse's Matt Bellamy. I think Matt tapped Manson because he grew up in Devon, where Manson is based.[/quote]

Holy crap. :) That was impressive.... especially the whammy pedal solo part. I want a 10-string now.

JPJ is a bass god. No question.

It's really great to hear these positive comments about a shop that isn't just an online-whore for a change! Mansons clearly provide a great service and it's good to see that in this case that means more to people than the price. It's just a shame that the internet has punched the wind out of any up and coming music shops. It's getting to the point where there's almost no point in starting up a decent shop. I think that's a shame and it will really kick people in the nuts in years to come when there's a big lack of places to go and try stuff out.

Hugh Manson generally makes electrics, and brother Andy (the more "artistically inclined") makes spectacular acoustics...do a search for the Mermaid? Hugh also spends time on the road as a tech for JPJ (and more recently Yes?) so doesn't build lots of instruments. He's also got the shop to "keep him warm", as someone once told me!

BB

Great vid !! I've just looked into my DVD collection and found that I actually have that on "Guitar Wars, Live In Tokyo" which i got from eBay (2 DVD set).

Really great sound in that excerpt. Dang, now I'm gassing for a 12 string (or similar) :huh:

Worse is that I now have to stop my nightly look around the bass sites on the web and get the DVD onto my iPod for going on holiday tomorrow. Sun, sea, sand, yes!! But no bass for a week :)

At least I have the prospect of getting one of my basses back from Mr. Shuker when I return, so that'll keep me going...

[quote name='3V17C' post='64814' date='Sep 24 2007, 03:50 PM']that video clip of JPJ is sweeeeet. was that nuno bettencourt playing the explorer?[/quote]

'twas indeed. I wonder if JPJ actually had 9 strings on there, a single G?

I personally "rediscovered" JPJ after I found a bargain copy of [i]The Sporting Life[/i], the album he did with Diamanda Galas. A lot of 8-string on there too, and he needs it, for Ms. Galas is quite mad... :)

Edited by bnt