Why become a member? ×

behringer bdi 21

ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='69403' date='Oct 4 2007, 10:59 AM']does the hatke have speaker emulation ? i thought it was just a preamp pedal ?[/quote]

I recently got a Zoom 503 amp simulator pedal off Ebay for about a tenner. They're discontinued now.
Only managed to have a brief mess about with it so far. However, when used in conjunction with BDI21, some of the speaker emulation parameters sound not bad, to my cloth ears.
Never been a fan of Zoom stuff, but this is not a bad pedal. Quite handy for home recording bass.
I see them come up on ebay fairly frequently. Usually don't go for much more than I paid for mine, sometimes less.

[quote name='nick' post='69731' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:54 PM']I recently got a Zoom 503 amp simulator pedal off Ebay for about a tenner. They're discontinued now.
Only managed to have a brief mess about with it so far. However, when used in conjunction with BDI21, some of the speaker emulation parameters sound not bad, to my cloth ears.
Never been a fan of Zoom stuff, but this is not a bad pedal. Quite handy for home recording bass.
I see them come up on ebay fairly frequently. Usually don't go for much more than I paid for mine, sometimes less.[/quote]

hmm - good to know. the bdi'll be fine for the session i'm doing tho...it gives the sound a nice depth.

i've never used any zoom pedal stuff, but i've got two of their rack units and they're good to my ears.

i still mourn my midiverb 3 tho....

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='72754' date='Oct 11 2007, 12:41 PM']If the BDI21 has problems DI'ing and being too quiet, wouldn't adding a pre-amp booster pedal do the trick and increase the volume?[/quote]

before the pedal ? no - it's prolly overdrive the pedal itself.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='paul, the' post='79941' date='Oct 26 2007, 08:24 PM']Does anyone know if the V-Amp or V-Amp pro is able to produce the same/similar effect to the BDi 21?

Ta,

paul.[/quote]
I use the Vamp pro but haven't used the Bdi so not sure but the vamp does loads so I can't imagine there's much it won't do.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='72754' date='Oct 11 2007, 12:41 PM']If the BDI21 has problems DI'ing and being too quiet, wouldn't adding a pre-amp booster pedal do the trick and increase the volume?[/quote]

I personally think that the BDDI is also low level, along with BDI21. Having said that when it has been DI'd directly for recording or live into PA, I've not [i]yet[/i] experienced any problems with it from engineers, etc

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Thread hijack about to occur. I'm interested to know, those using the Behringer BDI, are you using it as a preamp / amp sim or what. I was looking at the sansamp bddi, when I heard about the Behringer alternative, but I'm not sure if what I want to do tallies with what everyone else is using this for. I basically want to use it just as a distortion box. I've been trying to find a decent sounding valve type distortion effect forever, but everything I have heard so far is either too expensive or over gained. All I really want is that classic tubey SVT type crunch. Having listened to the sansamp sound samples, it gets pretty close to the sound I want, so what's your opinion on the behringer SVT style crunch impersonation?

I could always try one out I suppose..... only thing is, where???

I've got the Behringer in use as DI/boost for my 'PC studio' setup, which it does well enough.
The warmth/distortion/EQ stuff is good but takes considerable fiddling to get right I find - plus the knobs are fiddly and will move with passing traffic...

I also have a Programmable SansAmp - it gives you a choice of three settings which don't get 'overwritten' by knob movement unless you store them.
I take that one to practice and gigs. It's built like a tank, and is very good on batteries (unlike the Behringer...)
I tend to use it mostly as a three-preset EQ pedal (with a little dirt on two of the three settings)

If I want 'classic tubey' sound, I go straight for Dave Hall's VT1 Mk3 - it just sounds superb.

All the above are gain-dependant though, so if you have a mix of pickup settings and/or passive/active basses you too can be fiddling for hours on end! :)

You might like to check out the sound clips of a direct comparison between the BDI21 and BDDI [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294957"]here.[/url]

Though I'd have to second Stewart's suggestion of a DHA pedal if you're not buying for a DI facility - they sound amazing! :)

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='122993' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:25 PM']You might like to check out the sound clips of a direct comparison between the BDI21 and BDDI [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294957"]here.[/url]

Though I'd have to second Stewart's suggestion of a DHA pedal if you're not buying for a DI facility - they sound amazing! :)[/quote]

Would a VT1 pedal with a DI be useful?

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='123029' date='Jan 18 2008, 06:39 PM']Would a VT1 pedal with a DI be useful?

Dave[/quote]

Dave... I think you can spot a gap in the market from miles away!! a BDDI type pedal with REAL valves in it? I really don't think you can go wrong mate!

Price it cheaper than the BDDI (if you can) and I think you are on to a winner!!!

[quote name='DHA' post='123029' date='Jan 18 2008, 06:39 PM']Would a VT1 pedal with a DI be useful?

Dave[/quote]

Strange - that thought occurred to me after I posted Dave!

Personally I just use whatever DI box the venue or studio has. There are plenty here who seem to want to have control over that aspect of their sound though, and those who provide their own PA for gigs so, errrr.... probably!

[quote name='dood' post='123052' date='Jan 18 2008, 07:12 PM']Dave... I think you can spot a gap in the market from miles away!! a BDDI type pedal with REAL valves in it? I really don't think you can go wrong mate!

Price it cheaper than the BDDI (if you can) and I think you are on to a winner!!![/quote]

So, how about a VT1 with active EQ and DI out? My amps and newer pre-amps already have DI out but I guess it would be neat in a pedal.

How much is the BDDI?

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='123101' date='Jan 18 2008, 08:29 PM']So, how about a VT1 with active EQ and DI out? My amps and newer pre-amps already have DI out but I guess it would be neat in a pedal.

How much is the BDDI?

Dave[/quote]this sounds excellent