Why become a member? ×

behringer bdi 21

ahpook

i know that paul, the has one of these and is happy with it...anyone else tried one ?

i'm going to be playing a radio session soon for a community radio station and will miss the sound of my ampeg pre-amp.

i know the di level isn't up to much, i'm curious how noisy it'll be.

my sansamp was taken out by an exploding electric mistress a while back and i've not got the funds to replace it.

[quote name='ahpook' post='64517' date='Sep 23 2007, 10:14 PM']i know that paul, the has one of these and is happy with it...anyone else tried one ?

i'm going to be playing a radio session soon for a community radio station and will miss the sound of my ampeg pre-amp.
my sansamp was taken out by an exploding electric mistress a while back and i've not got the funds to replace it.[/quote]

I use a Beheringer GDI-21 for distortion and I am very happy with it. Can also be used as a preamp too. The BDI-21 is the better preamp for bass though.

[quote name='ahpook' post='64517' date='Sep 23 2007, 10:14 PM']i know that paul, the has one of these and is happy with it...anyone else tried one ?

my sansamp was taken out by an exploding electric mistress a while back and i've not got the funds to replace it.[/quote]

I've got two in my set up, for different sounds.
I think they're quite good, especially considering the price.
I've gigged them, etc & never I had an issue with reliability. But, not a fan of the plastic case. It does with the knobs , feel a bit flimsy & fragile. However, I have got two - backup available.

I used a Sansamp (on loan) for a while prior to getting BDI21s. To my ears (though I'll probably get shot down by the Tech 21 afficianados) I think the BDI21 is comparable.

There was a good A/B on the BDDI & BDI21 with soundclips on the old website, if I remember(?) Quite interesting results.

I've been using a BDI21 for a few months now, as a DI and a stompbox for some grit. They sound fine, are quite solid despite not being metal. One tip, which most users (and users of sansamps will say) is to go easy on the "blend" control, to stop the quite drastic mid-scoop. Also the bass/treble controls are active, so reducing their values and bringing up the level control will "boost" the mids.

Edited by tempo

took mine down to band practice tonight...

very impressed...playing through an ashdown mag 2x10.

i set it pretty flat with the eg on the behringer and the amp flat, and pushed the drive control a bit.

to my ears (dons flameproof suit) it sounded better to me that my old sansamp...i kid you not. i think it has less mid-cut.

:)

anyway...not the reason i bought it, but a very nice suprise...i'm considering the guitar model for recording now.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='68862' date='Oct 2 2007, 10:57 PM']took mine down to band practice tonight...

to my ears (dons flameproof suit) it sounded better to me that my old sansamp...i kid you not. i think it has less mid-cut.

:)[/quote]

I second you on that. Tried both, & I prefer the sound of the Behringer. And for the price, you can get at least five BDI21's!
Tech 21 Blitzkreig cometh!! :huh:

My next project,is to put one of mine in a more robust diecast box.

There was a really good A/B of both pedals with soundclips on the old website,with quite surprising results.
Can anybody remember, or even resurrect this?

Cheers

Don't know about one on the old site, but I found [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294957&highlight=behringer+vs+sansamp+blind+test"]this[/url] over at Talkbass which I thought was very interesting. Got one of these in the post at the moment (cheers Richard :)), can't wait to try it out.

[quote name='nick' post='69020' date='Oct 3 2007, 12:31 PM']I second you on that. Tried both, & I prefer the sound of the Behringer. And for the price, you can get at least five BDI21's!
Tech 21 Blitzkreig cometh!! :huh:

My next project,is to put one of mine in a more robust diecast box.[/quote]

phew - i thought i might be the only one !

i was wondering about a better box...i've still got the casing from my exploded sansamp...

have you had yours open yet ? i was wondering how big the board is and if the pots are wired straight to the board (which i suspect) or on flying leads ?

if you've not opened yours up yet....i might tonight :)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='69196' date='Oct 3 2007, 06:16 PM']phew - i thought i might be the only one !
i was wondering about a better box...i've still got the casing from my exploded sansamp...

have you had yours open yet ? i was wondering how big the board is and if the pots are wired straight to the board (which i suspect) or on flying leads ?

if you've not opened yours up yet....i might tonight :)[/quote]

Had a brief look inside, vitually everything is fixed to PCB.
Planning on having a go at this sometime this month, when (if) I get some spare time.
Anticipate having to replace pots, jacksockets, & switch etc.
Will be putting mine in fairly decent sized box....

Cheers

[quote name='nick' post='69281' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:23 PM']Had a brief look inside, vitually everything is fixed to PCB.
Planning on having a go at this sometime this month, when (if) I get some spare time.
Anticipate having to replace pots, jacksockets, & switch etc.
Will be putting mine in fairly decent sized box....

Cheers[/quote]

thanks for the info...

I have been looking at purchasing a sansamp but cant really afford it at the moment, and upon seeing this am quite shocked that something made by behringer actually stands up against sansamp. Looked around and the cheapest I have seen for one of these is £25-26 on ebay, where did you guys get yours from and what price?

Shaun

[quote name='paul, the' post='69296' date='Oct 3 2007, 11:15 PM']This thread is making me very frustrated that mine isn't working :) . No doubt I'll shop for a replacement and have to spend an extra tenner.
Has anyone tried a Hartke VXL Bass Attack?[/quote]

Yes - I've got the Hartke VXL Bass Attack. It has some decent sounds - more crunch than distortion. And its feels very solid. The only problem is that it doesn't have bypass - you can turn off the drive and shape functions, but the EQ will still be effected. That makes it a bit less flexible live than it would otherwise be.

[quote name='simon1964' post='69455' date='Oct 4 2007, 12:23 PM']Yes - I've got the Hartke VXL Bass Attack. It has some decent sounds - more crunch than distortion. And its feels very solid. The only problem is that it doesn't have bypass - you can turn off the drive and shape functions, but the EQ will still be effected. That makes it a bit less flexible live than it would otherwise be.[/quote]

Ahh right, I thought as much. It's valvey warmth I'm interested in.