Bass Player required for established Function Band

15 replies to this topic

#1 MoJo

Easily swayed ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Interests:Playing bass, Moto GP, World Superbikes, British Superbikes, Classic Cars

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

After almost 14 years, I've decided to hang up my function band boots which leaves my fellow musicians looking for a replacement. The likely candidate will preferably had some previous experience of this type of work though not essential. Backing vocals would be a huge advantage and the ability to harmonise even more so. Rehearsals are in Birmingham and the band rehearses once a week. Own gear and transport are a must although the bass will be DI'd into the bands own PA at gigs. Current set is pretty standard fayre and wouldn't present a problem to your average bassist.

If you think you fit the bill, please contact Mark (guitarist) on 07976 921 613

Thank you.

#2 MoJo

Easily swayed ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Interests:Playing bass, Moto GP, World Superbikes, British Superbikes, Classic Cars

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

The band's guitarist tells me that he's only had one reply to my post on basschat which I found surprising. This is a quality band that has played for many prestigious clients as well as playing at the post exhibition party at the BBC Food and Drink Exhibition at the NEC Birmingham plus countless weddings up and down the country.

Average fee is £800-£1200, split five ways means you can make a serious wedge from this project. Surely someone out there fancies this gig :)

#3 crez5150

It's black and it's Graphite!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:40 AM

Interested but the wedge isn't that exciting to be honest...... have you not thought of raising your fee's??

#4 jakenewmanbass

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

You're on the cusp, it's probably a bit intimidating for someone inexperienced but it's not quite well paid enough for a pro and a pro probably wouldn't see the need for weekly rehearsal. You'd be better off creating a bass pad and phoning guys who can read. If you're offering £150-£200 a gig then someone will take the gig and get you a dep if they get something better paid.
Do you only gig in the midlands or do you go all over?
Woman
"If you were my husband I'd poison your tea"
Churchill
"Madam, if you were my wife I'd drink it"

#5 EBS_freak

"Never push a loyal person to the point where they no longe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

I'm local - out of interest, what's the function band called. Got any demos or anything I can check out?

#6 MoJo

Easily swayed ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

The band is called Borderline and they play all over the UK. Some demos can be heard at Borderline's website

#7 MoJo

Easily swayed ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:31 AM

View Postjakesbass, on Sep 25 2009, 09:09 AM, said:

You're on the cusp, it's probably a bit intimidating for someone inexperienced but it's not quite well paid enough for a pro and a pro probably wouldn't see the need for weekly rehearsal.

You may be right.....I've been with the band for almost 14 years on a semi-pro basis, holding down a full time job at the same time

#8 chris_b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:51 AM

Jake's right, you're falling in between semi-pro and pro worldís right now, and after looking at your numbers, I was wondering why you need to rehearse once a week.

It would be helpful if your web site gave the location of your gigs and a full set list. It's your window onto the world. I don't know if it's a midlands thing.... but I think you could loose the drag act, well from the web site, at least!
Lull~Lakland~Fender~Thunderfunk~Aguilar~Bergantino~Barefaced~obbm~Wolfcraft

People think I'm getting old! Watch out, I'm just getting started!

Wanted: Bergantino CN112

#9 crez5150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

View Postchris_b, on Sep 25 2009, 10:51 AM, said:

I think you could loose the drag act, well from the web site, at least!

+1

#10 MoJo

Easily swayed ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

Without appearing harsh, I'm not overly concerned about the set list, the drag act or the website. I have made my decision to leave and out of respect for the other guys, I said I'd try and help them find a replacement for me. We have been very busy and very sucessful and the one memorable aspect of the band which many clients request specifically is the Tina Turner drag act.

The set is not demanding and it would be an easy introduction for someone who wanted to get onto the function/wedding circuit.

#11 chris_b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

You are right, sorry, I didn't mean to mess with your thread or upset anyone. I was just thinking out loud and trying to work out why you only have 1 reply instead of the dozen you should have got by now! Good luck with your playing in the future.
Lull~Lakland~Fender~Thunderfunk~Aguilar~Bergantino~Barefaced~obbm~Wolfcraft

People think I'm getting old! Watch out, I'm just getting started!

Wanted: Bergantino CN112

#12 YouMa

My mum was in shakatak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:43 AM

Id do it if i was in the midlands,wish i cound find something this easy up here.

#13 MoJo

Easily swayed ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

View Postcrez5150, on Sep 25 2009, 08:40 AM, said:

Interested but the wedge isn't that exciting to be honest...... have you not thought of raising your fee's??

the South East may be more affluent than the Midlands and most people we have dealt with in the past have whinged at the fee we have asked for despite them looking us up on a recommendation or after having seen us at a previous wedding or function. Perhaps they should move the band to your neck of the woods :)

#14 crez5150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

Well I'd have to say we charge at least 3 times that `amount and most of our work this year was in the midlands and the m5 corridor

#15 MoJo

Easily swayed ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

The band's pricing structure is based on similar bands in the area. I suppose if you quote £3000, the client may well be under the impression that they are getting something of a higher professional standard which, we have found from seeing bands that charge twice what we have, isn't always true. We have also seen 9 piece dance bands that charge less than £1000. If you can charge that amount and get regular work then that's fantastic. Maybe someone with the experience like yourself could take this band of accomplished musicians to the next level.

I now play in a rock band for beer money and I love it because it's the kind of music that inspired me to pick up the bass in the first place. As you'll appreciate playing at a level similar to your own requires a certain level of commitment and professionalism which I can no longer provide

Edited by bassman2790, 25 September 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#16 davestorerbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

View Postbassman2790, on Sep 25 2009, 08:16 AM, said:

The band's guitarist tells me that he's only had one reply to my post on basschat which I found surprising. This is a quality band that has played for many prestigious clients as well as playing at the post exhibition party at the BBC Food and Drink Exhibition at the NEC Birmingham plus countless weddings up and down the country.

Average fee is £800-£1200, split five ways means you can make a serious wedge from this project. Surely someone out there fancies this gig :)

Hi. I might be interested in the band but would not be able to commit to rehearsing once a week as I am a pro working bass player. Although once a bass pad had been established then that should not be required anyway. If you want to talk further then you can e-mail at davestorerbass@yahoo.com and get my number.

Many thanks

DS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users