Why become a member? ×

Which Super Mellow bass Strings NOT Flatwound?

jazzbassmm

Hi to everyone, please may I know which strings for electric bass has a super mellow sound like the Flatwound strings but not Flatwound?
I am looking for some strings which they have a really mellow sound but roundwound!

To be honest I am not really interested about the brand but i whish to know more which material can give me the sound that i love.
After as a second step i will can think about the brand.

I have tried the D'Addario Chormes Flat and 100% are my string i love it but i don't want put flat strings on my Marcus Miller Jazz bass, so I am looking for something closer, if is possible!

Thanks all!

[url="http://www.daddario.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=3&CLASS=ACCA"]http://www.daddario.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=3&CLASS=ACCA[/url]

Try these D'Addario half rounds. I use them on my 55-02 to get a mellow sound for soul and blues.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='64709' date='Sep 24 2007, 12:43 PM']Not sure what the problem is with flats - dont you like the feel or the string tension? Halfs may be the answer like Sean says. Try the D'Addario or Elites.[/quote]

Thanks for the answers, It's not really a problem with Flat, is only that i like to use my Marcus Miller Jazz Bass even to try slap and staff like that, i have tried it with flat strings and is not the same at all and on it for some exercise i feel not comfortable that's it instead with DR Black Beautier i have on now i feel great.
But i whish to find also for my Fender MM some warm strings!

My idea for the future is have 2 basses (i have only one now) my Fender MM with some good mellow strings and another bass (I hope a Fender Jazz Bass RE75 with rosewood fretboard where i will put the D'Addario Chromes Flat). :)

[quote name='Sean' post='64705' date='Sep 24 2007, 12:36 PM']Try these D'Addario half rounds. I use them on my 55-02 to get a mellow sound for soul and blues.[/quote]

I found the D'Addario half rounds to be more flatwound-like in feel and sound that rotosound's half wound equivalent; so if that's the sound you're after then check 'em out.

I've never tried Elites half wounds though.....

Thanks all for the answers.....I think I am going to buy some D'Addario and i wish decide between:

D'Addario Half Round Bass 40-95 Strings ENR70
D'Addario Half Round Bass 45-100 SL Strings ENR71SL
D'Addario Half Round Bass 50-105 Long Strings ENR72
D'Addario Half Round Bass 55-110 Long Strings ENR73

I always used 50-105, but I want change and try something different, I was thinking about 40-95 but can I have some advice about it?
Which one of these should buy?

Thank you again!

My two pence worth,

If you like the whole coated string thing then elixirs are great and can give a great mellow tone. They need to break in a bit first but then they last a long time and for me have absolutly justified the extra initial outlay (16 months and still going strong... getting a bit fuzzy now, still sound good)

If coated is not your thing then the Fodera nickle coated strings are also really good IMHO

[url="http://www.fodera.com/strings.html"]http://www.fodera.com/strings.html[/url]

Pete

Edited by Peaty

[quote name='jazzbassmm' post='65238' date='Sep 25 2007, 11:22 AM']Thanks all for the answers.....I think I am going to buy some D'Addario and i wish decide between:

I always used 50-105, but I want change and try something different, I was thinking about 40-95 but can I have some advice about it?

Thank you again![/quote]
Most halfs only come in 45-105 so if you want to go light then these are the only options. Going light with halfs is the same as going light with rounds - be prepared to have to make lots of adjustments to the bass to get it playing the same.

[quote name='jazzbassmm' post='65238' date='Sep 25 2007, 11:22 AM']Thanks all for the answers.....I think I am going to buy some D'Addario and i wish decide between:

Thank you again![/quote]

I normally use 45-105 in rounds, so went for D'Addario's closest match (45,65,80,100) and didn't really notice too much difference.

Guest subaudio

Hi all

Sorry to hijack the thread, are flat wounds higher tension the roundwound, I would like to try some but years ago I bought some by mistake, put them on my bass and the neck went like a bannana? this was before I knew how to do a set so I took them off again sharpish, sounded good though.

[quote name='subaudio' post='65685' date='Sep 26 2007, 08:22 AM']Hi all

Sorry to hijack the thread, are flat wounds higher tension the roundwound, I would like to try some but years ago I bought some by mistake, put them on my bass and the neck went like a bannana? this was before I knew how to do a set so I took them off again sharpish, sounded good though.[/quote]
All except TI Jazz Flats. There is a pinned thread on strings and also some stuff in the wiki.

[quote name='jazzbassmm' post='65790' date='Sep 26 2007, 11:46 AM']Hi and thanks for all advice I had here.

I have bought on ebay from US the D'Addario Half Round Bass 45-100, i can't wait to put it on my bass guitar and after i'll tell to everyone my impressions, if i can i will send some samples!

Thanks![/quote]

Looking forward to that. I've been thinking of getting TI JFs but I'm really enjoying my rounds at the minute.