Why become a member? ×

XLR Output

Hit&Run

Believe it or not, my Hohner B2Afl (headless & fretless) has one as standard. There's a little isolation / impedance matching transformer between it and the rest of the circuitry, because XLRs on mixing desks are low impedance (typically 470Ω or 600Ω, some lower). Just two wires from the standard output.

I have one on my Overwater Original 2 and found it extremely useful when recording with a view to re-amping the bass at mix-down. I fed the jack output into my usual effects/amp setup and the XLR directly into the Finaliser which I use as a high quality DAC for my MotU interface. No messing about with trying to find a decent DI box and allowed me to record the pure sound of the bass which could then be run through whatever amp and effects setup I wanted at the mix down stage. Not for everyone, but very useful for those who want the maximum control of the bass tone at mixing.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='65066' date='Sep 24 2007, 11:03 PM']They're obviously not really needed otherwise every bass would have one fitted.[/quote]
That's true, but I do like the extras in life.
Also, at a couple of gigs I've had to plug straight into the PA when whoever was supplying the bass amp didn't show up. Thank f*ck I had active tone controls!

[quote]Not for everyone, but very useful for those who want the maximum control of the bass tone at mixing.[/quote] Now that's what I'm talking about. For a small outlay of cash (£3.50 for a neutrik on ebay, with P&P) I thought it could be useful addition.

[quote]I am just dreading the cable spazzing out at a gig or something.[/quote]
spazzing out? do explain before the PC brigade close this topic.

Cheers for the answers guys, though if anyone else has more to add feel free.

most XLR outs on a Bass should be a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio_connector"]Balanced Output[/url] but i have known people use them to replace the Jack to have a robust connector, or even just to look cool!

Edited by G-77

Unfortunately it's not simply a matter of adding an extra socket. To work properly the XLR output needs to be buffered from the jack output so one doesn't suck all the sound from the other. Also as bnt says the impedance of a balanced line connection is different to that of instrument line level. Think of it as a built-in DI box. At the very least you'll need a good quality audio isolating transformer to drive the XLR. My Overwater (and I guess the Wal as well from the description) has a fully active circuit that drives both outputs at the correct levels.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='65086' date='Sep 24 2007, 11:32 PM']Also, at a couple of gigs I've had to plug straight into the PA when whoever was supplying the bass amp didn't show up. Thank f*ck I had active tone controls![/quote]
Been there, done that :) Worked very nicely.

[quote name='WalMan' post='65073' date='Sep 24 2007, 11:13 PM']On the Wal it acts like a DI. You have to have a jack plugged in to make it work.

As for fitting it, sorry Pete @ Wal did that[/quote]

Now I was surprised when I read this, so I tested my 1987 MachI Fretless directly into my mixing desk. It [u]doesn't[/u] need a jack plugged in, it is permanently "live", with no control or preamp......

Not what I was expecting! I had always thought it was a balanced out, and was planning to experiment with the XLR on my new MB CMD151P, but unless its faulty I wont bother now!! I'm sure I've used it direct into a desk for recording before though....?