Why become a member? ×

AMAZING SQUAREPUSHER SOLO BASS GIG! Plus Anthony Jackson at Ronnies, Living Colour at jazz cafe...

urb

Sorry - for the shouty title of this post - but this looks awesome - Mr Jenkinson doing his very FIRST solo bass show - with saxophonist Evan Parker - i'll be very Jazz but it'll be well worth seeing - I just bought tickets (they are a very reasonable £15 each) but they are selling fast:

[url="https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/all-events/productions/tom-jenkinson-aka-squarepushe-16630"]https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/all-event...uarepushe-16630[/url]

Hope to see some of you there - it's the day after my birthday so it'll be a quality birthday present!

Cheers

Mike

Erm, this is getting silly - Mike Stern and Dave Weckl band at Ronnie Scott's - July 12, 13, 14 - with ANTHONY JACKSON ON BASS..... the prices may be extortionate - but having just seen AJ up close at the 55 bar in New York I can heartily recommend his unbelievable abilities on the 6 string are worth any money it costs to see him - Stern and Weckl aren't bad either... :)

Hope that's all for now - last one to mention is Medeski Scofield and Wood at the Barbican on July 15 - it's official July has gone mental for amazing jazz gigs in London.

Cheers

Mike

Hi mate...wicked wicked gigs lined up or what!!!

I'm hoping to get to at least the Stern and Jenkinson gigs...they'll be awesome, the living colour one would be nuts too...although, having to travel up and down up and down might do me in a little too much :)

Thanks for the heads up on these.

J

[quote name='jwbassman' post='5197' date='May 23 2007, 04:08 PM']Why are all the good gigs down south?[/quote]

Cos thats where the people are who are daft enough to pay such huge amounts for tickets (and houses :))

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='5590' date='May 24 2007, 10:25 AM']Cos thats where the people are who are daft enough to pay such huge amounts for tickets (and houses :))[/quote]

You can always fly to New York and see Anthony Jackson for $15 at the 55 Bar... might actually be cheaper than a return ticket from Manchester to London (or equivalent) :huh: - tickets are pricey here but then again if you book early you can get cheaper tickets.

Admitedly I'm lucky as a jazz journo to get freebies (one of the few perks of the job) but we went to Ronnie Scott's last night to see Hiromi - who was unbeleivably good - her bassist Tony Grey (who'e actually from Newcastle) was awesome - and my friend got a ticket for 26 quid, and for that he got to see three bands, one being a world-class act, two others very good, in a stunning venue, in all for about three hours of very high quality music - personally I think that is value for money...

M

[quote name='urb' post='5717' date='May 24 2007, 01:29 PM']You can always fly to New York and see Anthony Jackson for $15 at the 55 Bar... might actually be cheaper than a return ticket from Manchester to London (or equivalent) :huh: - tickets are pricey here but then again if you book early you can get cheaper tickets.

Admitedly I'm lucky as a jazz journo to get freebies (one of the few perks of the job) but we went to Ronnie Scott's last night to see Hiromi - who was unbeleivably good - her bassist Tony Grey (who'e actually from Newcastle) was awesome - and my friend got a ticket for 26 quid, and for that he got to see three bands, one being a world-class act, two others very good, in a stunning venue, in all for about three hours of very high quality music - personally I think that is value for money...

M[/quote]

Ah that's Ok.
Hiromi is playing at Brecon this year and so am I so I'll get to see her for nowt
:)
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='5762' date='May 24 2007, 02:12 PM']Ah that's Ok.
Hiromi is playing at Brecon this year and so am I so I'll get to see her for nowt
OG[/quote]

Cool OG :huh:

Yeah man - get along to that - that band is sensational, absolutely amazing, Tony Grey is playing a 6-string Fodera (with a cool looking ebony top wood on it - I think it's a Monarch) and it just sounded wicked, and Hiromi is without question one of the greatest living jazz pianists around, she's amazing - I love this band - definitely get along to see them.

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='5826' date='May 24 2007, 03:41 PM']Cool OG :huh:

Yeah man - get along to that - that band is sensational, absolutely amazing, Tony Grey is playing a 6-string Fodera (with a cool looking ebony top wood on it - I think it's a Monarch) and it just sounded wicked, and Hiromi is without question one of the greatest living jazz pianists around, she's amazing - I love this band - definitely get along to see them.

Mike[/quote]

Mmm, nice. :huh:
There's actually more ska and reggae in our set list than jazz as such but with no vocals beyond the odd shouting bit, we get filed under Jazz ...

Yup that's on my list .. as long as we are not playing at the same time (usual problem :) )
Tony Grey has a lot of info on his basses on hos website It does say he has a Monarch

Sigh

This happened a couple of years ago - in 1 week in June 2005, there were so many famous bass players gigging in London that I couldn't see them all through exhaustion, even if I could have afforded it! Mike, for those of us who are really lazy :) is there any chance you could post ticket booking links?

Pleasure.

London, I presume?

[url="http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/17003E6EB31AEE84?artistid=736195&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1"]http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/17003E...mp;minorcatid=1[/url]

[quote name='urb' post='5128' date='May 23 2007, 01:39 PM']Sorry - for the shouty title of this post - but this looks awesome - Mr Jenkinson doing his very FIRST solo bass show - with saxophonist Evan Parker - i'll be very Jazz but it'll be well worth seeing - I just bought tickets (they are a very reasonable £15 each) but they are selling fast:

[url="https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/all-events/productions/tom-jenkinson-aka-squarepushe-16630"]https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/all-event...uarepushe-16630[/url]

Hope to see some of you there - it's the day after my birthday so it'll be a quality birthday present!

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

My GOD, I am so there. That's going to be the absolute dogs proverbials!

[quote name='dangerboy' post='6509' date='May 25 2007, 02:17 PM']Thanks for the Squarepusher tip-off. I can think of at least one female bassplayer who would consider that a dream date![/quote]

Marvelous! Glad to be of service - the Urb Bass dating Agency.. not sure if I have time to run that site as well :)

Nice one guys - let us all know if you get tickets to an of these nights - I'll be at Paresquasher - and hopefully the AJ gig at Ronnie's

Have fun weekends - I'm busking in Nottingham city centre tomorrow with my world music band - on acoustic bass guitar!

Come and say hello if you are about

Mike

Hi Mike...in Nottingham hey, if the weathers no good, i might be over in Notts, it isn't too far from me. If not, i'll be sure say hi at one of these gigs...hoping to get the Stern and Jenkinson gigs!!!

Hooray for hardcore bassage and other low end happenings!

Just while we're talking bass player giggings...John Patitucci is in the UK in November, he's doing a gig up in Scotland with a Chamber band on upright, but will probably hit some venues for some hardcore bassage too...wicked :)

[quote name='bassjamm' post='6948' date='May 26 2007, 12:51 AM']Hi Mike...in Nottingham hey, if the weathers no good, i might be over in Notts, it isn't too far from me. If not, i'll be sure say hi at one of these gigs...hoping to get the Stern and Jenkinson gigs!!!

Hooray for hardcore bassage and other low end happenings!

Just while we're talking bass player giggings...John Patitucci is in the UK in November, he's doing a gig up in Scotland with a Chamber band on upright, but will probably hit some venues for some hardcore bassage too...wicked :)[/quote]

Hey man - the gig was fun but thrashing away on acoustic bass for most of the day has worn me out! We did get to borrow one band's PA and I got to use a vintage J Bass for one set and that went down really well - but this wasn't one of my proudest bass days!

Patitucci is over in June at the opening gig at the newly done up Royal Festival Hall - I think it's around the 15th - but he'll in classical jazz mode with Mark Anthony Turnage - but definitely worth checking out too.

Just saw Tony Grey with Hirmomi last week - utterly awesome - got to hang a bit with him as well after I interviewed him - such a nice guy and his playing is really getting pretty damn amazing, the band were incredible - sorrry I've said all this crap before but I am still buzzing about that gig... :huh:

M

[quote name='urb' post='7367' date='May 26 2007, 10:36 PM']Hey man - the gig was fun but thrashing away on acoustic bass for most of the day has worn me out! We did get to borrow one band's PA and I got to use a vintage J Bass for one set and that went down really well - but this wasn't one of my proudest bass days!

Patitucci is over in June at the opening gig at the newly done up Royal Festival Hall - I think it's around the 15th - but he'll in classical jazz mode with Mark Anthony Turnage - but definitely worth checking out too.
Just saw Tony Grey with Hirmomi last week - utterly awesome - got to hang a bit with him as well after I interviewed him - such a nice guy and his playing is really getting pretty damn amazing, the band were incredible - sorrry I've said all this crap before but I am still buzzing about that gig... :)

M[/quote]

I used to get Tony Grey confused with Janek Gwizdala in my early MySpace browsing days- 2 Fodera wielding, beanie hat wearing Brits doing good in the US and all that.
Loving Janek's playing. Tony ain't no slouch it seems either.

Yeah i was gutted that i didn't make the Tony Grey gig, i only found out the day after the last night at Ronnie's...gargh!!! I've only recently started to get into his playing really, got his album yesterday, and got John McLaughlin's Industrial Zen (thanks for the tip off on that, got Hadrien's too...not bad, some quirky stuff).

Sounds like the day wasn't that wicked then, shame...i need to get more gigs in Nott's, i live 25 mins from it and haven't ever gigged there, would be cool to see if there's a jazz scene, not sure.

Are we going to get a Tony Grey interview in the next bass mag then? Should be wicked man!!! Really enjoyed your Bona one in the current issue, quite insightful really, i bought a load of his albums this month, can't say that i dig them that much, but it's interesting to listen to and see what he's about...i guess it mainly streches back to his culture, so from the point of view, it's inspirational, and his voice is amazing!

Did you get a chance to interview Janek while he was over here?

[quote name='chardbass' post='7422' date='May 27 2007, 12:48 AM']I used to get Tony Grey confused with Janek Gwizdala in my early MySpace browsing days- 2 Fodera wielding, beanie hat wearing Brits doing good in the US and all that.
Loving Janek's playing. Tony ain't no slouch it seems either.[/quote]

Yeah i know what you mean...they both seem to have a similar sort of thing going on, i struggle to pick out who's who when listening sometimes...the Fodera's have a really distinctive tone when you hear them more, but you can definately make out who's who when you hear more of each player. But yeah, Janek is wicked...managed to catch one of his gigs last month, and a lesson...he know's his stuff, really inspirational at the moment.

Think Janek is arranging another tour over here at the moment...looking forward to that. He's trying to sort out a few more northern gigs too...so if anyone know's of any decent venues up north i'm sure he'll appreciate you dropping him an e-mail with info!!!

• 2 months later...

Tom sorted out two VIP tickets for myself and Wes. We had, what I considered the two best seats in the house (thanks for that Tom). Three days before the gig, Tom brought his Zoot in for a set up and we also installed a neat little gizmo into the bass called a "Redeamer Install". The gig was fantastic and the Zoot bass sounded amazing as well. Wes & I also enjoyed the after gig party with Tom.