Why become a member? ×

BADASS on a non-fender...

Tait

can you do this? whenever you buy a BADASS it says on the packet "for Fender Jazz of Precision" but surely it could go on any bass? I know you couldn't put a BADASS II on a string through bass, and it may need a little drilling to fit it, but surely it could go on any bass, couldn't it?

The Badass II in particular is designed to be a direct replacement for the Fender bridge with even the screw holes in the same place, so no further modification of the instrument is required. Nothing stopping you fitting it on any other bass provided it falls within the same specs as the original bridge for string spacing and height adjustment.

[quote name='lwtait' post='65410' date='Sep 25 2007, 03:05 PM']can you do this? whenever you buy a BADASS it says on the packet "for Fender Jazz of Precision" but surely it could go on any bass? I know you couldn't put a BADASS II on a string through bass, and it may need a little drilling to fit it, but surely it could go on any bass, couldn't it?[/quote]

I have just bought a used one off ebay, the heading said A Badass bridge for Gibson or Fender. he said it came off a Gibson Tbird.

Of course you can put a Bad ass on another bass. You may have to plug the original holes and redrill new ones but its no different that fitting any other after market bridge.

The beauty of the badass is that is a direct replacement for the POS std bridge on most Fenders so you dont have to work out scale length and hole placing etc.

The only thing to watch (and it shouldn't be a problem on most basses) is that the body is flat in the bridge area (i.e. not a gently contoured shape). The BadAss has a flat bridge plate so needs to sit on a flat body. Other than that you'd just need to take a little care on the positioning of the bridge to make sure it's square and also the right distance from the nut (although there's plenty of adjustment in the saddles to compensate for that.

[quote name='Waldo' post='65427' date='Sep 25 2007, 04:41 PM']My Modulus Flea has a badass on it so the answer to your question would be 'yes' but it would be a good idea to check first before you get one.[/quote]

I've seen at least three different bridges factory indtalled on Fleas, and all three require different drillings.
No idea why I posted that really.
Here's something useful though; to add to BOD2's post above, very often installing a BADASS raises the saddles far higher than the stock bridge, resulting in the need to shim the neck or, as I've seen done, sink the bridge into the body, which is a whole different ball game. It is important therefore to check the minimum saddle height on the BADASS (base of bridge to top of saddle) and compare it with the same measurement on your current bridge with the action set as you like it.
Chris