Why become a member? ×

dha vt1 mk3 bass vs ehx english muffn' vs dod 250

philbillbass

the dha and the ehx are both around the same price and i am wondering which one to go for , i mainly want light gritty overdriven tones so that is why i picked the dha vt1 mk3 bass not any other dha product. and as the ehx is in that price range and that seems to do everything!

the other cheaper option is the dod 250 reisue pedal (the yellow one)

which one should i go for?
which one is better?

thanks

DHA products are quality, I have used the VT1 Purist and currently own the VT1 Blender. You can get a very nice tone out of them. The DOD 250 in my opinion, looses too much bottom end for Bass. It has a good overdrive sound, I would go for the DHA though. I have never used the EHX pedal so I cannot comment. There are other options too, I have recently removed my Sansamp from my board because I prefer the overdrive grit from my Barber LTD SR.

I have a custom Dual Bass(not the Dual Bass Custom,as I had Dave customise a standard VT2 for me a little)and can honestly say its the best thing since sliced bread.
Not tried either of the two others you mention,and although DOD are generally quite good,I wouldnt bother after having this.Its perfect and I cant see ANYthing coming close to the sound Im after,nor yours Id imagine.
The Muffin I know has valves too,and was a contender but I don't know anywhere I can try one(though the same can be said for DHA...),but the VT2 you can have two types of tube sound and switch between them,so that was the decider for me(read my review in the review section).
Honestly think you cant go wrong with any of Dave's pedals.If you dont like the tone,swao the valve out for something else.Ive swapped both the originals out of mine and have just swapped one of those to try something else too.
Also,with my 1st channel it cant get pretty wild before you max out too so you know you'll have some good range from the VT1 from clean upwards,along with the colour control which will make things even hairer and the two diode optons too,of which niether features on the other two pedals so you've definitly got more choices for the money.
Oh,and you're supporting a good ol' British product too.Not that Im anti-American but hey,when you have the option!
Andy

I should probably add,as Ive said to Dave,that the more I use mine the more I love it.
The 2nd rehearsal I used it at I noticed that our sound just seemd tighter,and I sounded much clearer in the mix,and that was just a mild,'grit' setting of channel one.Remember,your choice of valves will affect the sound,and I think its worth the time trying different ones out.
Like Brycebites,I'll hardly EVER turn mine off now!
Of course,like Isaid in my previous post,I dont know the other two pedals,so by all means try them out,but I doubt that the DOD would sound as fat for sure.The DHA is probably better/sturdier construction than the Muffin.
Andy

thanks very much for all that you are all definitely swaying me towards the dha.
i now just have to think how much money i want to spend to determine which dha to get. i also want to get some sort of envelope filter to add a bit of funk! so i will hav to bear that in mind wen deciding how much to spend on the dha