Why become a member? ×

Exeter/South Devon based Luthier

MoJoKe

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='65748' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:43 AM']Hi,

I posted this yesterday on the pinned luthiers list, but no-one has spotted it yet!

I need to find a luthier in Exeter/South Devon, anyone got any contacts or recommendations please?

Thanks![/quote]

Mansons ?

[quote name='Paul_C' post='65756' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:57 AM']Mansons ?[/quote]

I don't know about anyone else (and apologies if anyone here works for them!!!), but I found the prices high and the attitude a bit superior when I went in there for the first and last time about a year ago. I'm 47, been playing bass for 32 years and don't look like a poor student or schoolkid (who probably actually have access to [b]more[/b] disposable income than me!!) and was researching the options for a new lightweight rig, which I HAVE now since bought (MB), but was treated a bit like a no hoper window shopper.

Funnily enough, on my first and last ever visit to the BassPlace in London, I was treated the same only more rudely. I was wearing a suit as I had been to a business meeting around the corner, so I suppose I should have changed before going in!!

I sell Business Phone Systems (anyone need one!?!?) in my day job, and the addage always has to be "never assume!". Strikes me this happened on both occasions.

There's the guy that makes those [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/buglefish-bf4-manta-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ170153198906"]Buglefish(?) basses[/url] in Somerset. I have no idea if he's a commercial luthier or not or whether it's realistically near to you (I don't drive).

I'd love to try that out. I love the ethics behind owning a locally made instrument.

Thanks guys. The need is fairly simple...

I have a Dean Edge 5, which was a temporary addition to the collection in lieu of the possibility of a new, or finding a secondhand Wal 5ver as soon as I can afford. I have tried several times to set up better/lower myself, but not entirely happy with the neck, so need to see if someone else can do a better job of it, or whether I should trade up again futher towards my goal!