Why become a member? ×

$32,725

Alpha-Dave

I just put together a custom quote on the Alembic website, I had no idea that their prices were that crazy! :)

[url="http://www.alembic.com/cgi-bin/quote/quote?model=Series+II&strings=6+string&direction=Right-handed&scale=Long+scale+34+inches&necklam=3+Ebony+neck+laminates&fingerboard=Macassar+ebony+fingerboard&surface=Fretted&fngbdwidth=Comfort+fingerboard+taper+%28wide+bridge%29&inlay=Alembic+Dragon+inlay&fngfront=No+front+LEDs&fngsd=Bronze+side+dots&pegheadshape=Crown+peghead&pegheadbevel=Bevel+front+and+back+of+peghead&woodtop=Redwood+Burl+top&topmatch=Bookmatch+top+to+center&woodbody=Flame+maple+body&woodback=Redwood+Burl+back&finish=Polyester+clear+gloss+finish&bodyshape=Standard+Omega+body+shape&bodycontour=Tummy+and+elbow+contour&logotype=Recessed+silver+logo+w%2Fshell&bridgeblock=Bridge+block&tailpiece=Bird+tailpiece&trusscov=Wood+truss+rod+cover&plate=Continuous+wood+backplate+%28for+model+electronics%29&hardfin=Gold+plated+hardware+%28estimated%29&machines=Gold+Alembic+Gotoh+machine+heads&fastener=Gold+recessed+strap+locks&electronics=Anniversary+electronics"]http://www.alembic.com/cgi-bin/quote/quote...ary+electronics[/url]

I mean $1200 for a redwood front and back that can't cost them more that $400 at the very outside (they'll more likely pay $150):
[url="http://www.exoticwoodbrokers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=267"]http://www.exoticwoodbrokers.com/index.php...products_id=267[/url]

Has anyone ever bought one of these or know anyone that has?

D.

I have a coco bolo top persuader 5 string that I bought used, $1000 or less (my limit for basses). really nice playing and sounding even though it was their production model.
it was scary running up a quote for a new model.
but the customs pics sure are fun.

[quote name='The Funk' post='5682' date='May 24 2007, 12:56 PM']6000 grand? :)

As in $6,000,000 - that's a lot of 0s!!! :huh:[/quote]

You should see 'em though! They make the Mona Lisa look like a child's cartoon and Damion Hirst like a Maniac with a chain saw and half a pickled cow!

The only art made by a living artist to invest in for sure!

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='5208' date='May 23 2007, 05:21 PM']I mean $1200 for a redwood front and back that can't cost them more that $400 at the very outside (they'll more likely pay $150):
[url="http://www.exoticwoodbrokers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=267"]http://www.exoticwoodbrokers.com/index.php...products_id=267[/url][/quote]

No doubt, you do pay for the name of Alembic, and also otherwise they aren't exactly cheap. Still I'd be careful with such statements b/c it's not just about the type of wood but also the quality. Alas this has become a tremendous problem in the last decade or so. There's all sorts of most exotic stuff to be had at seemingly sensational prices, while even once decent manufacturers/luthiers now produce instruments w/ qualities of maple and such really basic stuff that are just dreadful and harsh sounding. Not to speak of qualities of cocobolo, zebrano and such which just left me wondering what's the point of using such woods. Also bodies composed of more than 3 pieces no longer are limited to budget gear. Etc. etc. "I'm not amused." :wub:

Cocobolo and Zebrano look nice. That's basically why people love them. They sound good too but people pay a premium for them because of how they look.

I don't understand why people don't use Walnut more. I want to get a custom Jazz with a Walnut body. Mmm... Walnut...

[quote name='The Funk' post='5900' date='May 24 2007, 06:11 PM']I don't understand why people don't use Walnut more. I want to get a custom Jazz with a Walnut body. Mmm... Walnut...[/quote]

Absolutely! Walnut is [i]such[/i] an excellent tone wood. IIRC Warmoth should be selling replacement bodies of walnut. Well, seemingly, as Ed Roman explained on his website, most of walnut disappears into the rifle industry, and sought after woods tend to get pricey.

As my luthier mate told a funny little story a while back - new bloke starts at Alembic and is working on a bass and he's routing a switch or something and he messes up, and the hole ends up being too big. Worried he's now due a bollocking he calls over his senior workmate and show him the damage, the guy says, "Don't worry, we'll just stick another laminate over it..." - this was years ago and I'm sure they don't do that now - but almost 16K GBP for one of those basses, I'm looking at Fodera prices in a new light now...

Though I completely agree about the comments on exotic woods - they are short supply so it's increasingly the case that if you get a piece of something very special on your bass, chances are that's the last bit you will see - ever!

M

[quote name='MB1' post='6385' date='May 25 2007, 11:33 AM']MB1. :)

dont go shopping in harrods if youve only got the money for aldi.
ALEMBIC are the rolls royce of the bass world not the skoda fellatio!

MB1.[/quote]

HEY! Don't knock the fellatio until you try it!

[quote name='Snarf' post='6407' date='May 25 2007, 12:07 PM']You would think they would get a better website built to reflect the prices, their site is rubbish![/quote]

Perhaps they get enough business as it is and don't feel like they have to? And the site seems ok to me, fairly easy to understand and not too fancy -- frankly I find animations, pop ups and the like distracting, especially when I'm trying to find information about something.

If you look around you can still get a pretty good deal on new Alembics. I've just paid beaver felton at bass Central less than half the New price for a balance K signature deluxe in coco bolo. Alembic still building it though so I'll be waiting a bit longer.
They're a very nice company to deal with too. More like family. One of these days I'll have saved enough to take my brood out to visit. Just have to stop buying basses ;-)