Why become a member? ×

Tobias Pro Bass

johnm

For help, go to emginc.com, download the colour catalogue, as it has a page that describes the physical sizes of each pup. (there are different sorts, with different sounds)

You will be looking at the 'Extended Range' soapbars to fit your Toby 4. I'm guessing the pickup size will be the '35' type.

I use 40P's in my Tonbias and 45DC's in my Shuker.

[quote name='dood' post='66544' date='Sep 27 2007, 06:15 PM']For help, go to emginc.com, download the colour catalogue, as it has a page that describes the physical sizes of each pup. (there are different sorts, with different sounds)

You will be looking at the 'Extended Range' soapbars to fit your Toby 4. I'm guessing the pickup size will be the '35' type.

I use 40P's in my Tonbias and 45DC's in my Shuker.[/quote]
what sort of cost am I looking at roughly?
I had the guitar out last night for the first time in about a year for a wee jam with my brother
and a mate and through a Trace BLX combo I thought yeah this guitar deserves an upgrade...

Hmmm.. good question.. about 8 years ago I spent about 90 quid per pickup.. but I'm pretty sure they must be cheaper on ebay etc. There are plenty of alternatives out there too, everything from Bartolini to Seymour Duncan.. you have also the option of changing the preamp too, with an Aguilar, or maybe one of Jogn East's awesome preamps? (You can find out more in his own forum here on BC)

Other options include going for passive pickups instead of active.. but thats purely down to taste. So far, I think I am an 'active' man!

[quote name='dood' post='66750' date='Sep 28 2007, 09:37 AM']Hmmm.. good question.. about 8 years ago I spent about 90 quid per pickup.. but I'm pretty sure they must be cheaper on ebay etc. There are plenty of alternatives out there too, everything from Bartolini to Seymour Duncan.. you have also the option of changing the preamp too, with an Aguilar, or maybe one of Jogn East's awesome preamps? (You can find out more in his own forum here on BC)

Other options include going for passive pickups instead of active.. but thats purely down to taste. So far, I think I am an 'active' man![/quote]
cheers dood I'll need to go searching the net then.....or maybe I'll bring the Musicman out of retirement

No problems! I mentioned EMGs as they are one of my fave. I think if there is anothe rpup you particularly want, you *may* need to get the body routed a bit more, as the standard Tobia pups seems to be a bit of an 'inbetween' size.

FYI, the stock pups and preamp are made by a company called mighty-mite and rebadged for 'Tobias'

[url="http://www.mightymite.com/"]http://www.mightymite.com/[/url]