Why become a member? ×

Original Badass bridge

beerdragon

[quote name='Beedster' post='66499' date='Sep 27 2007, 03:52 PM']If it's a BADASS I I doubt it, You'll no doubt be able to sell it on ebay though. If it's a BADASS II the action might be a little high but you can shim the neck pocket which will usually do the trick
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

Yeah its a Badass 1, i guess its going back on ebay. thanks for that.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='66503' date='Sep 27 2007, 05:04 PM']Yeah its a Badass 1, i guess its going back on ebay. thanks for that.[/quote]

They'e bloody good bridges, albeit a little on the overweight side, so I doubt you'll have much trouble selling it. I recommend that, unless you want an irate buyer on your hands, you indicate that the bridge is not a direct replacemnt for most Fenders (I think they would fit some of the more boutiquy 80's models)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='66562' date='Sep 27 2007, 05:46 PM']They'e bloody good bridges, albeit a little on the overweight side, so I doubt you'll have much trouble selling it. I recommend that, unless you want an irate buyer on your hands, you indicate that the bridge is not a direct replacemnt for most Fenders (I think they would fit some of the more boutiquy 80's models)
Chris[/quote]

The guy i bought it off described it has a Fender Gibson replacement. and i asked him if it fitted a jazz, he did'nt answer.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='66566' date='Sep 27 2007, 06:51 PM']The guy i bought it off described it has a Fender Gibson replacement. and i asked him if it fitted a jazz, he did'nt answer.[/quote]

Read anything like that as "I don't have a bloody clue what I'm talking about" - steer clear unless you know what you're after.

[quote name='ped' post='66805' date='Sep 28 2007, 11:32 AM']Rather than shim the neck, why not file down the grooves nice and deep? That should be fine, and if you go too far then you can raise the saddle (probably best to go a little to far so you have some room for adjustment)

ped[/quote]

Noooooo, it doesn't work.
I thought about it, and then had a good long look at it, it would be a non starter. You would have to file down both the grooves and the undersides of the T section of the saddles. This will entail a whole lot of work, and will potentially corrupt the thread in which the grubs screws insert. Unless you are a master with a file this will likely result in disaster, and may mean poor contact between bridge and saddle, a factor the BADASS is designed to optimise. Given that you will almost cetainly have to redrill the body also, and then probably shim the neck anyway, please just sell the thing on BC/ebay and keep an eye open for a BADASS II :)
Chris

I much prefer [url="http://www.schaller-guitarparts.de/1251.htm"]these[/url] bridges anyway if you are now after a 3 hole bridge. Much better to have rolling sideways adjustable saddle points than some filed slots, and much more impressively made IMO!

[quote name='ped' post='66821' date='Sep 28 2007, 11:52 AM']By the way I am talking about the grooves where the strings go over the saddle, not the underneath....[/quote]

My sincerest apologies Ped, I had thought you meant the grooves in which the saddles sit. Being the proud owner of a complete set of BADASSes (how many people can say that without smiling), I would however point out that to get the grooves of a B1 down to the level required of most Fenders would require a slot about 4mm or 5mm deep. The BI is the Big Daddy of bridges!
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='66877' date='Sep 28 2007, 12:01 PM']My sincerest apologies Ped, I had thought you meant the grooves in which the saddles sit. Being the proud owner of a complete set of BADASSes (how many people can say that without smiling), I would however point out that to get the grooves of a B1 down to the level required of most Fenders would require a slot about 4mm or 5mm deep. The BI is the Big Daddy of bridges!
Chris[/quote]

Its big alright, i'll give up on it and stick it on ebay. Don't suppose anyone on Basschat will want it.
i'll not be such a tight bugger and spend some cash on a Badass 11 i think, thanks for the replies.

[quote name='Beedster' post='66877' date='Sep 28 2007, 01:01 PM']My sincerest apologies Ped, I had thought you meant the grooves in which the saddles sit. Being the proud owner of a complete set of BADASSes (how many people can say that without smiling), I would however point out that to get the grooves of a B1 down to the level required of most Fenders would require a slot about 4mm or 5mm deep. The BI is the Big Daddy of bridges!
Chris[/quote]

I see! No worries mate. I re-read what I said and thought you might have interpreted it that way. I wasn't very clear!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='66912' date='Sep 28 2007, 02:02 PM']Its big alright, i'll give up on it and stick it on ebay. Don't suppose anyone on Basschat will want it.
i'll not be such a tight bugger and spend some cash on a Badass 11 i think, thanks for the replies.[/quote]

You might as well list it here also, someone might have a project on the for which a BI would be perfect
Chris