Why become a member? ×

Sandberg vs Lakland 5 Strings

Old Horse Murphy

I've seen a lot of reviews about Lakland 5 strings mostly (DJ's) but would like to know how these compare to Sandbergs or even Lakland Joe Osborns. There's even a few G&L L2500's that look the business too.

I've always been quite samey in my taste of basses (Fender or Musicman) and I'd like to see what else is out there.

I must admit, I'm not particularly looking to invest in one right this moment (having just had to spend £600 on new brakes for my car and a service imminent too :) !!), but in the near future I'd certainly look at maybe getting one as a contrast to my Stingray 5 string.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

I have a Lakland JO5 and love it. Having recently tried several Sandbergs, I know that they aren't really for me. Some of them look very nice and their construction looked pretty good, but I got the feeling that the electrics just didn't get the best out of them. Sure they have a reasonably good low end, but the highs didn't seem to sing. They were almost half-way-house between vintage and modern tones. There was nothing about them to tempt me away from the JO.

When i went looking for a 5 string i tried a Sandbeg California Something or other in the Bass Centre. It played well and i loved the look of it. While i was getting it adjusted befor ei paid for it i happened to try a 55-01 and fell in love with that.
I couldn't decide what one to go for until i saw the awful quality of the neck on the Sandberg. there were gaps under some of the higher frets. This was a bass that was going for £900 (and that was discounted as it had been on the wall a while and the neck had twisted slightly). Ive not seen such a poor neck even on £100 basses.
I did like the tone of it though but not for £900.

[quote name='garbev' post='67945' date='Oct 1 2007, 12:16 AM']I've been using a 55-01 with an East U-Retro Dlx for a while.
Playability and feel of the Lakland is second to none, and with
the east preamp the palette of tones is amazing. IMO better
than the USA made 55-94 I've used for recording.

Lakland (modified) all the way.

Gary.[/quote]

Yeah, my 55-01 has a NTMB in it and it sounds a bit better than the basic preamp but its the playability that i love.
The necks are second to none in my limited experience.

Saying that im going back to 4 string now.

My Sandberg California PM5 Customer sounds a bit like a Stingy but has the added sound of a pbass pup (plus of course a quite unique sound with both pickups engaged 50/50). Another alternative is the Sadnberg Bullet in J/J config - fantastic bass that would give more fender jazz type of sounds and complement the MM really well.
Another bass to consider would be a Warweick Streamer Stage 1 or II.....great basses that would broaden your "tonal palette"

The JO5 sounds very vintage 60's fender (unless you put a pre amp in it) and sounds really great.

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='67990' date='Oct 1 2007, 09:00 AM']My Sandberg California PM5 Customer sounds a bit like a Stingy but has the added sound of a pbass pup (plus of course a quite unique sound with both pickups engaged 50/50).[/quote]

Ah yes, thats the one i tried. It looked really good in the Black/grey sunburst and the MM style pup. Very Mad Max sort of thing.
Wish i had got that but like i said the neck was rubbish. Im sure it was a one off though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='67993' date='Oct 1 2007, 09:07 AM']Ah yes, thats the one i tried. It looked really good in the Black/grey sunburst and the MM style pup. Very Mad Max sort of thing.
Wish i had got that but like i said the neck was rubbish. Im sure it was a one off though.[/quote]

hmmm....both my Sandbergs are impleacble in terms of build quality but they are a couple of years old now (one is a customer shop). I heard that Sandberg has trippled their production capacity due to the high demand so maybe they have had some quality problems lately? that would be a shame becaus the basses are really great

Edited by carlosfandango

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='68002' date='Oct 1 2007, 09:34 AM']hmmm....both my Sandbergs are impleacble in terms of build quality but they are a couple of years old now (one is a customer shop). I heard that Sandberg has trippled their production capacity due to the high demand so maybe they have had some quality problems lately? that would be a shame becaus the basses are really great[/quote]

I agree. im not knocking Sandberg really, just relaying my one and only experience with them. In fact all the cheaper Sandberg's looked perfect in the shop but this was the only 5 string they had and i really did want it but not for £900 with that neck.
probably a one off.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='68006' date='Oct 1 2007, 09:41 AM']I agree. im not knocking Sandberg really, just relaying my one and only experience with them. In fact all the cheaper Sandberg's looked perfect in the shop but this was the only 5 string they had and i really did want it but not for £900 with that neck.
probably a one off.[/quote]

Ican't belive the shop still had for display! they aren't exactly doing them self a favour.....why are there so many morons in the music retail business????

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='66549' date='Sep 27 2007, 06:20 PM']I've seen a lot of reviews about Lakland 5 strings mostly (DJ's) but would like to know how these compare to Sandbergs or even Lakland Joe Osborns. There's even a few G&L L2500's that look the business too.

I've always been quite samey in my taste of basses (Fender or Musicman) and I'd like to see what else is out there.
I must admit, I'm not particularly looking to invest in one right this moment (having just had to spend £600 on new brakes for my car and a service imminent too :) !!), but in the near future I'd certainly look at maybe getting one as a contrast to my Stingray 5 string.

Any opinions would be appreciated.[/quote]...............Does that mean you're no longer interested in my Jazz 5 ?!!!