Why become a member? ×

Jakesbass, Jakesbass And Thrice Jakesbass

jakenewmanbass

• 1 month later...

After 30 years of attacking wood and strings, I thought It might be a good idea to have a lesson from someone who actually knew what they were doing. I pitched up at Jakes place, and was made to feel very welcome. He has a purpose built study free from interruption, kitted out from the most lo-tech 1880 (IIRC) up-right, to hi-tech Mac studio gear, and a couple of very nice EB's in between.

OK, this had been the first ever proper bass lesson I've ever had, and I've had a great afternoon. I'm more about playing than knowledge, but Jake underpinned what I knew, whilst bringing me on step by step. Jake is a positive tutor, so you feel you have something to work toward, without feeling daunted by your (my) lack confidence in your own ability.

I would highly recommend Jake to all levels of player. 2 hours, and it passed like 5 mins... and I'm going to go back

You never know, Jake, at this rate I might even work out what those strange black dots on those funny black lines are all about!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1330360073' post='1556202']
Did that website ever get done, Jake?
[/quote]
It's getting closer Bilbo, just a few more pics and some blurb to complete, as always I'm busier than expected with doing some production work and recording... I will get on to it very soon and it will have the addition of a production page as an old pal and I have set up as a team... watch this space!

• 1 month later...

Have to post a little thank you for Jake. One of my all time favourite groups, New Model Army, have been looking for a new bass player. I thought I'd give it a shot. Jake helped me get the chops together to make a show-reel to send them, and on the strength of that I was offered an audition. Jake helped me work on three very different songs in a short space of time. Had the audition with the full band last week in Bradford. Alas I'm not the guy who will carry the torch, but I would've never got as far as I did without Jakes help.

Thank you very much, Jake. Best wishes to you and your family.

• 2 months later...

Just had a lesson with Jake and I can only agree with the general sentiments that he is a natural teacher with a gift of making the student feel at ease. I was particularly impressed with both his no nonsense approach and his ability to look at areas of my playing which needed attention. Overall a very positive experience and one which I will endeavour to repeat.

Recently acquired an old double bass and had an introductory lesson with Jake yesterday. Have to admit I'm a bit daunted by the sheer size and physicality of the instrument and my expectations of what I can achieve on DB are, how can I put it, 'modest'! Very informative and enjoyable lesson. I liked Jake's direct approach and it's testament to his ability as a teacher that I now feel encouraged to give it a real try. Thanks Jake, I'll drop you a pm to arrange the next lesson!

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my first lesson with Jake yesterday - and it was really valuable. I have been playing for around 25 years but felt that my progress has 'plateaued' a little after playing in the same 'wedding band' for 10 years. We had a good chat and a cup of tea and a good discussion about my history and my ambition. We worked through a few exercises, played a few tunes and talked theory; finishing off with some sight reading from the dreaded 'The Evolving Bassist' (which had been sat on my bookshelf for the past 15 years but it turns out is a treasure trove!).

Now - need to put some hours in and work on the things I have been shown; and looking forward to the next instalment. Jake has promised I will be soloing just as good as he does (and he is damn good) with just another 10,000 hours practice... :-)

Oh - and it was funny to see that he is using almost the same bass as I have (I have a 78 jazz, natural finish / black pickguard with Nordy pickups, he has a '77 natural finish / black pickguard with Seymour Duncans!).

• 4 weeks later...

Just had my last lesson with Jake :( before I move up North.
Thanks so much for all your patience, advice and inspiration.
every lesson was packed with fresh ideas and well worth the 100 mile round trip.
If you're looking for a teacher in the South East, Jake is the man for the job.
Thanks again Jake and hope to see you on scype when we're sorted out up there.
Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Although I'm a reasonably decent player with a pretty good ear and musical imagination, I'm self taught, and over the past few months I've felt ready to make some commitment to learning theory, some notation, and generally being able to understand music much better so I can develop my musical imagination and translate it to my bass (and guitar for that matter) better and quicker.

I had a lesson with Jake over two years ago but didn't feel able to make a suitable level of commitment at that time. He kinda blew me away with his intense level of insight, knowledge, experience, and his general philosophy and attitude to music and learning. He also said something to me at the end which both scared the sh*t out of me and hugely inspired me at the same time - Jake was singing and playing the exact things he was singing, improvising, I thought 'I can do a bit of that!' and so I did. What Jake said next was a revelation for me, he said 'the difference is that I'm playing what I'm singing, what you're doing is singing what you are playing.' And he was dead right. Finally, I have found the confidence and commitment to start learning how play what I'm singing, to start learning to be at one with my instrument. I'm under no illusion about how long this will take.

So I had a very reassuring chat with Jake a couple of weeks ago and got a lesson scheduled.

I was full of ideas and preconceptions last night, I was vague and unsure what I needed, or wanted, to learn but I had some ideas. We talked, and played, and discussed, and Jake put up with all my yap. Jake has highly penetrating insight into the needs of a student, having taught so many. After an hour of chit chat, he made sense of my rambling unformed thoughts and preconceptions of my own abilities. He assessed my knowledge and technique (thankfully my technique is generally fine), then Jake showed me some things he can do that made me go 'THAT'S WHAT I NEED!!'

So after a bit more talk and playing, he gave me my homework and I have taken my first step on the path to understanding. I won't give away what he's set me but it involves all keys, but after half an hour of doing a little bit after he left, it's like a light has turned on and I can't believe I hadn't spotted the pattern before, it's already unlocked a big chunk of fingerboard, and that's just the very beginning, I will be having two hours with Jake every month or so. Anyway, I have a lot of work to do, and there is that mountain to start climbing, but that mountain looks so bright and beautiful now (not that massive, dark, impenetrable mass it was before), and I know that when I reach the summit, another mountain will appear :D It's all very exciting!

Thanks Jake!

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372167775' post='2122385']
Although I'm a reasonably decent player with a pretty good ear and musical imagination, I'm self taught, and over the past few months I've felt ready to make some commitment to learning theory, some notation, and generally being able to understand music much better so I can develop my musical imagination and translate it to my bass (and guitar for that matter) better and quicker.

I had a lesson with Jake over two years ago but didn't feel able to make a suitable level of commitment at that time. He kinda blew me away with his intense level of insight, knowledge, experience, and his general philosophy and attitude to music and learning. He also said something to me at the end which both scared the sh*t out of me and hugely inspired me at the same time - Jake was singing and playing the exact things he was singing, improvising, I thought 'I can do a bit of that!' and so I did. What Jake said next was a revelation for me, he said 'the difference is that I'm playing what I'm singing, what you're doing is singing what you are playing.' And he was dead right. Finally, I have found the confidence and commitment to start learning how play what I'm singing, to start learning to be at one with my instrument. I'm under no illusion about how long this will take.

So I had a very reassuring chat with Jake a couple of weeks ago and got a lesson scheduled.

I was full of ideas and preconceptions last night, I was vague and unsure what I needed, or wanted, to learn but I had some ideas. We talked, and played, and discussed, and Jake put up with all my yap. Jake has highly penetrating insight into the needs of a student, having taught so many. After an hour of chit chat, he made sense of my rambling unformed thoughts and preconceptions of my own abilities. He assessed my knowledge and technique (thankfully my technique is generally fine), then Jake showed me some things he can do that made me go 'THAT'S WHAT I NEED!!'

So after a bit more talk and playing, he gave me my homework and I have taken my first step on the path to understanding. I won't give away what he's set me but it involves all keys, but after half an hour of doing a little bit after he left, it's like a light has turned on and I can't believe I hadn't spotted the pattern before, it's already unlocked a big chunk of fingerboard, and that's just the very beginning, I will be having two hours with Jake every month or so. Anyway, I have a lot of work to do, and there is that mountain to start climbing, but that mountain looks so bright and beautiful now (not that massive, dark, impenetrable mass it was before), and I know that when I reach the summit, another mountain will appear :D It's all very exciting!

Thanks Jake!
[/quote]

A nice read and a good post that.

I think it's a really good long time investment hiring a good tutor
[In this case Jake - who always talks accurate and easily digested info down in the BC theory basement]
It can also save you loads of Gas dosh in search of the holy grail of sounds, thinking it's going to make you play better :)
when in fact it can be hidden in side you waiting to be unlocked.

The approach of playing what you are singing was pointed out to me some time ago [years really]
and it did so much for my playing and my ears - I still sing like an Elephant, but i have got the Elephant ears. [And more than likely play like one as well]

Good luck with it all.

EDIT - One other thing, why is 'Tutors Available' tucked away, right down at Orchestra Pit level...........................
with........ 'sell anything'.... :lol:

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Thanks both...

Nig I'm just glad it makes some sense to you. I love the bass and have been playing it a long time, and it's a nice thing to be able to impart some of my observations and have that chime with the listener.

Garry, it's a good point about 'tutors available' being a bit low on the radar down here (as it were) I really am of the view that a bit of tuition is useful to most folk, even if it's just to get up close to someone that has done a lot of work and see it in action, but it's likely that if that person has done some work that they'll be able to impart some nugget that will resonate with the student and go a long way in their development.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1383870596' post='2270375']
Always worth pointing out that I travel about the country a fair old amount so I'm happy to give one offs as I did for Pete here:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221723-just-had-my-first-lesson-with-jake/page__pid__2270370#entry2270370
[/quote]
I cant really add anything to your already glowing feedback section other than thanks and already looking forward to another lesson when our paths cross again, I just wish I lived near enough to commute once a month.

Brilliant :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just want to say a big thanks to Jake, I had a lesson with him last night on EUB as I'm making the first tentative steps into learning to play EUB/upright and he gave me some excellent and invaluable instruction on techinique etc...this was exactly what I wanted from the lesson in order to enable me to go away and practise safe in the knowledge I'm doing things correctly and won't get into bad habits or do myself an injury !

Cheers Jake, good to meet you and I'll be back for more once I've got beyond the frustrating complete beginner stage - bring on the blisters !! :-)

Phil

• 1 month later...

I'd been thinking of trying out the double bass for a while and contacted Jake to arrange some tuition. I had a 2 hour session on Friday which consisted of first discussing what I wanted from the lesson and then going through the basics. I found Jake to have a great manner, giving lots of good advice and really helping me to understand the double bass and the different approach compared to playing electric.

The two hours seemed to fly by and I left with some suggested areas to practice.
All in all a positive experience and despite me being a complete newcomer I felt encouraged to continue with the upright.

P

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I made a 7hr round trip for a long lesson with Jake yesterday- I say a lesson but it felt more than that. I needed time to talk and what others have said rings true; Jake listens, really listens, and uses his experience to impart the correct advice. The lesson finished at about 4pm but the effects of the advice will continue to grow.
Thanks Jake.
Tone, time and taste.