Why become a member? ×

Jakesbass, Jakesbass And Thrice Jakesbass

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='676488' date='Dec 7 2009, 09:59 AM']More plaudits!!

I have just had my first DB lesson with Jake also. Marked by his patience, understanding and attention to detail, he has given me the chance to lay some ghosts to rest and to move over to an instrument I have longed to play for decades. I have just pm'd him to say that I feel like I have been reborn, playing wise, and have been given a whole new entusiasm for practising, a new focus and sense of purpose. It would be indiscreet of me to go into too much detail but I can never thank Jake enough for his generosity and encouragement at what is a crucial point in my musical career. Whatever else happens now, Jake will always have played a crucial part in it.

The man is an absolute diamond.[/quote]

Truly a convergence of two giants.

Guys you're very kind. When trying to explain how I see what should be done, inside I [i]feel[/i] like the very picture of ineptitude but you guys always seem to have very nice things to say, so I really appreciate that. I do realise that what I do say seems to hit home but for some bizarre reason that doesn't translate into confidence in my ramblings, maybe that's what keeps me trying to get it right....?

Its less complicated than that, Jake. You listened to what I had to say and responded to the issues of concern that I raised. Instead of coming at it from a sterile 'this is what you have to learn' angle, you came at it from a 'this is what Bilbo needs to do to solve his problems' perspective. Communication is always a two way street but you listen as much as, if not more than, you speak - unlike me :)

A lesson with Jake is bespoke, folks, not off the peg/one size fits all.

I certainly heard no rambling from your side of the room and, trust me, I know rambling when I hear it :rolleyes: !

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='678015' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:10 PM']I hope to see Jake in the new year - sorry I've been slack on the pm Jake but this chemo has been an energy sapper! Well up for seeing you & be in touch[/quote]
Having Chemo lag seems like a proper reason to me mate... :)
Just get yourself well and I'll still be here then :rolleyes:
Jake

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my first lesson with Jake on Boxing Day ( my birthday treat from the girls). Not much to say that has not been said before on this thread: he was clear, patient, affirming and has shown and explained to me a number of principals and techniques that should, if practiced correctly by me, enable a more fluent and musical technique!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='farmer61' post='649744' date='Nov 9 2009, 03:17 PM']Well I am pleased to confirm that I've just had a cracking first session on the DB with Jake.

Very laid back but well structured lesson, we seemed to cover an awful lot but the time just flew by.......can't wait to get hold of my DB to practice the stuff in prep for my next leson in Dec.

Anyone thinking or dithering about having lessons, go speak with Jake and I'm sure that you'll be as impressed as I am. Loads of useful tips, not just on DB but music 'theory' as well.

Well worth the effort of tackling the M4 on a Monday morning. Cheers Jake, see you in Dec!!!![/quote]
+1

I can wholeheartedly echo these sentiments!

I was privileged to have a first lesson with Jake yesterday and it was an absolute joy! For me, I was looking to find some inspiration with my playing after doing much the same thing for the last 30 years or so. In particular, I was hoping to learn some new musical theory - like modes for example - in order to enhance my rather limited musical vocabulary which is still rooted in my learning of TAB blues basslines back in the '70s.

Having watched Jakes workshop at the SE Bash last October, I was particularly impressed by how deep his musical knowledge was, how passionate he is about music and how aware he is that bass playing is not so much about technical ability (or 'facility' as he calls it) but more that it's about learning to communicate and express yourself whilst playing. Add to that a shared love of stuff like Cole Porter, James Jamerson and of beautiful, understated simplicity in bass playing such as demonstrated by masters like Jimmy Johnson etc, etc, and I knew that Jake would be the right sort of person to approach for help..

So I got in touch at the turn of the year and was all prepared to travel up to Aldershot for a few lessons when amazingly, Jake PM'd me to say that he had a gig in Littlehampton (where I live) and we could do the first lesson here; how lucky is that!!

Suffice to say I learnt a lot in a very short space of time and it's made me even hungrier to learn more. I also felt very inspired by talking about music and bass playing in such detail to the point that not only am I ultra-keen for the next lesson, which will hopefully be in March, but I'm even looking forward to doing my 'homework'! :)

Many thanks Jake - it was a real pleasure! And just to say again, that Alembic is absolutely stunning!!

Nik

Many thanks Nik, the nice thing about giving lessons to guys like you and the others on here is getting to meet some nice people so the pleasure is mine as much as you guys'
I am going to post an exercise in theory and technique which is the arpeggio and scale exercise I mentioned (and showed you) in the lesson. so look out for that. It will hopefully act as an aide memoir to what we discussed about chord sequences as it is all the chords of a major scale laid out.
Look forward to the next one.
Jake

[quote name='jakesbass' post='738214' date='Feb 7 2010, 05:10 PM']Many thanks Nik, the nice thing about giving lessons to guys like you and the others on here is getting to meet some nice people so the pleasure is mine as much as you guys'
I am going to post an exercise in theory and technique which is the arpeggio and scale exercise I mentioned (and showed you) in the lesson. so look out for that. It will hopefully act as an aide memoir to what we discussed about chord sequences as it is all the chords of a major scale laid out.
Look forward to the next one.
Jake[/quote]
Hi Jake

You're welcome!

Ok, will check that out later on,

Cheers

Nik

Hi Marvin,
sorry for the delay, only just noticed this... I usually say that i will try to hook up with long distance folk when I have a gig their way but I don't get down your way too often, although I gave Silverfoxnik a lesson recently and he is convinced it could be done with Skype so I will look into that and let you know the results and see if you think that would suit.
Jake

I'm thinking I could do with another lesson from Jake, but I'm confused as to what, there are so many things in my playing to deal with and I only really play pop music :)

TBH, I would pay Jake his fee just to talk for two hours! I learned so much in the short time we spent together.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='750942' date='Feb 19 2010, 02:45 PM']Hi Marvin,
sorry for the delay, only just noticed this... I usually say that i will try to hook up with long distance folk when I have a gig their way but I don't get down your way too often, although I gave Silverfoxnik a lesson recently and he is convinced it could be done with Skype so I will look into that and let you know the results and see if you think that would suit.
Jake[/quote]

It'd definitely work Jake; there's loads of online bass lessons on Youtube which people use quite well as a learning tool.. By using Skype that idea could be improved upon massively because it'll be interactive..

Maybe not suitable for all students, but for some it could work very well I think.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='750942' date='Feb 19 2010, 02:45 PM']Hi Marvin,
Jake[/quote]

This time I'll apologise for not getting back to you :) .
Unfortunately North Devon doesn't attract much of anything, well maybe apart from retired business folk and former civil servants these days. :rolleyes: If you do happen to do a gig around the Barnstaple area flag it up. I'd definitely do my best to come along. It's not often we see Noam Chomsky reading bass players in this neck of the woods. :lol:

I would be interested to know what the results of your investigation of Skype lessons come up with and then maybe discuss afterwards.

Thanks for your reply Jake.

cheers
Rich

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='754589' date='Feb 23 2010, 12:32 AM']It'd definitely work Jake; there's loads of online bass lessons on Youtube which people use quite well as a learning tool.. By using Skype that idea could be improved upon massively because it'll be interactive..

Maybe not suitable for all students, but for some it could work very well I think.[/quote]
I've seen a number of established guitar and bass teachers offer lessons in this way, so its definitely doable, although I haven't tried it myself.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

• 4 months later...

Evening All,

A feedback comment with a difference....

My band recently asked me to advertise their old Affinity Squire Jazz on this here forum as they'd had no luck themselves....to bloody idle!!! :)

Got a message from Jake saying he had a friend whose young daughter was after just such a bass!..low an behold his friend and daughter came over from B'ham to sunny Leicester this very evening to pick it up.....one very happy 12 year old!...and another convert to the world of bass!

thanks Jake - your a star, very good of you to have put us in touch....and that's why I love BC so much, top people, common interest and a genuine desire to help each other out.

Take care
regards
Matt

• 1 month later...