Why become a member? ×

Mosty popular bass at the moment?

minty fresh death

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='66937' date='Sep 28 2007, 02:49 PM']I was wondering what the most popular bass is at the moment?

My friend is having trouble selling a couple of guitars and won't stick them on ebay, so I suggested to him that he should trade them in at the local music store and get a bass that will sell easily.

I recommended him the US made Fenders...[/quote]

Not worth it, he'd lose more money than he could possibly get for a quality bass. Shops have staff, overheads, taxes etc to pay so are notorious for giving sh*te trade-in values especially if he's after something used to then try and sell on. What are these guitars that they are so unsaleable?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='66973' date='Sep 28 2007, 03:46 PM']Not worth it, he'd lose more money than he could possibly get for a quality bass. Shops have staff, overheads, taxes etc to pay so are notorious for giving sh*te trade-in values especially if he's after something used to then try and sell on. What are these guitars that they are so unsaleable?[/quote]

Actually, I agree with this. Worse came to it, he could let the guitars go for way under value to a private buyer and be better of, then going through a dealer.

What are they?

Spectors, you check out their resale it's teh suck.

Met him in town today and we went into the music shop and they offered him about the same as he paid for the basses second hand (£600, although he would never tell me if he was loosing out lol). Their policy is you have to pay a certain percentage of the final sale (no straight swaps), and their prices are typically allot higher than online.

He is just sick trying to sell them I think, if I was of lower moral fiber I might offer him £200 for his Rebop :)

So would a USA Jazz bass be the best option, in black do you think?

I don't think looking at resale value is a very positive thing to have in mind when purchasing a bass. If a bass is of good quality and deserved reputation, then it should sell itself.

If resale value is a lingering issue, just make sure he buys used and in good condition.

Fender jazzes are generally popular on merit. However, there will always be a lot of competition and a few fakes.

[quote name='paul, the' post='67690' date='Sep 30 2007, 03:20 PM']I don't think looking at resale value is a very positive thing to have in mind when purchasing a bass. If a bass is of good quality and deserved reputation, then it should sell itself.[/quote]

If resale value was everything we'd all have Stingrays!

Good quality and [i]deserved[/i] reputation plus the magic "it's fashionable" or "it's timeless" usually mean good residuals.

I would definitely think twice about buying a bass I liked if I knew it was going to be worth a quarter of what I paid a year later.