Why become a member? ×

*edit*

dlloyd

You don't say if the amp damage is similar in each case, if it is I'd say yes you have a problem. Did it happen at the same venue, were you using the same leads etc. If there are no apparent connections between the incidents then I'd be looking at the way you have your gear set-up and from your comment, the way you power up and down. You could of course just be damned unlucky!

Strictly speaking the "correct" way to switch amps on/off is as follows -

Valve amp with "Standby Switch"

To Switch ON
1. Ensure the master volume is at 0
2. Ensure the Standby switch is OFF
3. Switch ON the power
4. Wait for at least a minute or so
5. Switch ON the Standby
6. Bring up the master volume

To Switch OFF
1. Turn the master volume down to 0
2. Switch OFF the Standby
3. Switch OFF the power

Solid state amp (no "Standby")

To Switch ON
2. Switch ON the power
3. Wait for at least a minute or so
4. Bring up the master volume

To Switch OFF
2. Switch OFF the power

If you have to unplug your bass while the amp is on then switch on the Standby switch if you have one, "mute" the amp, or turn down the master volume before unplugging. The idea is that there should be no "pops/bangs" when you unplug. Alternativley, unplug ypour lead from the amp first, then unplug your bass. You can also usually just "half-unplug" your lead at the amp end - pull it out to the first stop, then unplug your bass from the other end.

Of course, very few people do this and very few people have any problems with amps blowing due to switch on/off unplugging amps.

Your problems are more likely to be bad luck or problems with the electrical supply itself.

Given that most people just switch on and plug in, AND pull the lead out of the guitar without muting first, then you probably haven't damaged the amp by not doing the above. You've probably just been unlucky. I just hate to hear "pops" and "bangs" so that procedure stops them.

By "circuit breaker" I'm assuming you mean an "RCD" device. This will protect you, and the amp, from damage caused by incorrectly wired mains circuits. ALL players should use one of these cheap devices to reduce the risk of death or injury from electric shock.

An RCD doesn't "filter" mains or suppress surges. "Power conditioners" do this but there's a whole thread on these [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4755&hl=power+conditioner"] here [/url].

A mains tester will show up any basic problems with the wiring (which you then won't be able to do anything about other than point it out to someone at the venue who probably doesn't care !). An RCD is a much better investment.

[quote name='BOD2' post='66997' date='Sep 28 2007, 04:38 PM']By "circuit breaker" I'm assuming you mean an "RCD" device. This will protect you, and the amp, from damage caused by incorrectly wired mains circuits. ALL players should use one of these cheap devices to reduce the risk of death or injury from electric shock.[/quote]
+1. Same as earplugs. We should all look after ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BOD2' post='66984' date='Sep 28 2007, 04:08 PM']Strictly speaking the "correct" way to switch amps on/off is as follows -

Valve amp with "Standby Switch"

To Switch ON
2. Ensure the Standby switch is OFF
3. Switch ON the power
4. Wait for at least a minute or so
5. Switch ON the Standby
6. Bring up the master volume

To Switch OFF
2. Switch OFF the Standby
3. Switch OFF the power[/quote]

As a recent purchaser of a valve amp with Standby switch that I didn't know how to use, I've done quite a bit of research on this, and have come to the conclusion that when switching the amp off, you are NOT supposed to switch off the standby before switching off the power. By powering down in the reverse order to that stated in 2/3 above supposedly allows any remaining charge to drain out of the power filters.

www.musictoys.com/gearhead/gear14.php

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to have read this in a few different places, including the Marshall amp FAQ.

Edited by Dave

I hate pops and bangs too! My switch on/off procedure is quite long winded because I have my rack pod running into a valve amp and have a mutable lead, but I have it down to a fine art.

Regarding standby switches when powering down, I have always switched to standby whilst I switch off everything else and then hit the master power last because it is round the back. I have never had any problems, but thanks for that link, it looks like interesting reading.

I would be worried that if I did start powering off with the standby switch off then I would forget to flip it when I power up the next time!

[quote name='ped' post='73264' date='Oct 12 2007, 11:46 AM']I would be worried that if I did start powering off with the standby switch off then I would forget to flip it when I power up the next time![/quote]

I know what you mean, you get used to what you get used to and it can be hard to deviate. I guess that's why I did an exhaustive amount of research so that I can prevent any bad habits. It seems that a lot of people are using different methods to power down using the standby switch, and most seem to think you just do the reverse of what you do to power up, but many sites suggest this is not the correct method. Probably doesn't do TOO much damage, and may only decrease valve lifespan by a little, but I try my best to do things the right way where possible.

PS. Nice tuning key cosies!

Thanks Dave ;0)

The valves in mine are 6 years old and going strong so I think I will stick with my bad habits lest I tempt fate!! I think you have the right idea though. I should have taken some bass lessons early on, too!! Too late now! D'oh!

ped

[quote name='Dave' post='73261' date='Oct 12 2007, 11:39 AM']As a recent purchaser of a valve amp with Standby switch that I didn't know how to use, I've done quite a bit of research on this, and have come to the conclusion that when switching the amp off, you are NOT supposed to switch off the standby before switching off the power. By powering down in the reverse order to that stated in 2/3 above supposedly allows any remaining charge to drain out of the power filters.

www.musictoys.com/gearhead/gear14.php

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to have read this in a few different places, including the Marshall amp FAQ.[/quote]

That's interesting, I hadn't seen that before. I can see the sense in it.

I accept that it's probably the correct way to do things but the only potential drawback I can see is that if you don't habitually check the Standby switch BEFORE you switch on, then it may well be left on from the last time you used it. Unless of course you're switch off routine involves ensure the Standy is off once everything is powered down. I suppose it all depends on how good you are at remembering these things.

Who'd have thought switching your amp on/off would be so complicated :)

[quote name='joegarcia' post='73387' date='Oct 12 2007, 03:25 PM']Wince backwards. It's not very pretty.[/quote]

Haha!! Good man.

+1 for the muting cables. Mine is one of the Planet Waves ones with a mute button, but have tried the self muting one. Great stuff. I still feel 'wrong' pulling a cable from my bass without having pressed a button first though!

as mentioned above... the way I power up my valve amplifier is as follows.

ensure the amp is on standby. volume at 0. power on. leave for several minutes. THEN turn standby off.

when powering down: turn volume down, turn power off. Don't worry about putting it on standby first. This allows your amp to drain before you start carrying it around.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='66945' date='Sep 28 2007, 03:03 PM']Having had two amps in at the amp doctors in the last six months, I'd like to avoid having to do it again, so I can spend my money on other things...

What can I do to prevent damage to the amp?

I'd imagine the input signal is unlikely to do too much damage... how about those "pops" you get when unplugging without switching to standby?

What about dodgy mains wiring... could an incorrectly wired mains socket damage an amp?

How about power fluctuations? Spikes and brown outs and the like?

Anything else?[/quote]

who's your amp tech?