Why become a member? ×

1972 Antoria Jazz Bass + varitone unit

jamesf

I'm moving house soon for work, and I can only take one bass with me. I've decided it's going to be the stingray, so this has to go. Got it a while back from Rasta in a trade, and it's a fine bass, very 70s sounding, and plays well. Very woody percussive tone, pickups are great and it stays in tune fine. There's a varitone circuit fitted at the moment which I'm selling with the bass, look them up on ebay or youtube, they're a passive circuit with a high pass filter, output level, rotary pickup selector, and six capacitor banks selectable via another rotary switch, and as a result it's got a few good sounds in it. I'll include the original electronics on the original control plate in with the bass.

The bass was made in Japan in 1972 by Fujigen-Gakki, and is the same bass as the Ibanez of the same vintage. Lots of dings and scratches from 37 years of playing, but still going strong. It's got screw holes for ashtrays and a thumb rest. I've decided active basses are more 'my thing' so I'm looking to move this on.

I've no idea how much this is worth, so send me an offer. I'd like a cash sale ideally, but would entertain offers of EBS pedals (especially a multicomp) + cash. I don't have a case for the bass, but it will be securely packed. Come and have a play if you're in the north west, or alternatively I'll post pretty much anywhere for cost. Let me know if you need any more photos also, and I'll take any more specific ones as required.

That's a great-looking piece of proper old JapCrap. Definitely a very early example with the black button tuners & big chrome trc, there's no specific way to date pre serial Fujigens, but 1972 is the latest that this would be. The equivalent Ibanez is the 2365B and Antorias often shared the same model numbers.

The pickups on these are excellent, they are single coils, despite the twin rows of pole pieces, but are very high output, usually 10 - 11k.

I am very interested in this but unfortunately having just bought an Ibby Blazer project it's unlikely I'll be able to make an offer... :)

How's the intonation, with that 2-saddle bridge?

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='622689' date='Oct 10 2009, 09:11 PM']That's a great-looking piece of proper old JapCrap. Definitely a very early example with the black button tuners & big chrome trc, there's no specific way to date pre serial Fujigens, but 1972 is the latest that this would be. The equivalent Ibanez is the 2365B and Antorias often shared the same model numbers.

The pickups on these are excellent, they are single coils, despite the twin rows of pole pieces, but are very high output, usually 10 - 11k.

I am very interested in this but unfortunately having just bought an Ibby Blazer project it's unlikely I'll be able to make an offer... :)

How's the intonation, with that 2-saddle bridge?

Jon.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I only has an inkling as to the history on this one. The intonation's great up until the 12th fret, but I haven't played with the setup at all since I got it, it came to me playing well enough for my tastes. The pickups do sound great, and I planned to put some ashtrays on it to restore it to it's former glory but haven't had the money to do it. Make me an offer, you know you want it!!

I'd love an old bass from this era but I have no idea what they go for. Coincidentally I've spent the last couple of days on EBay looking at 70s basses. Some were as cheap as £125 and some were £350+ but none were Antoria... have you any idea on a ballpark figure?