Why become a member? ×

Sandburg California - basses

minty fresh death

Anyone heard or played one, I was noodleing around on one today and it was sweeeeeeeeeeet!

I was playing the JM IV, but it was one of the smoothest mofos i've played on! Managed that P thump but with extra sustain and really smooth tone and it can do growl as well but not as well. Wind it right back to the bridge pup, mess about with the eq and it didn't sound far off a Spector!

The bass I played on was dipped in actual silver metal and had a weird yet wonderful finish, not sure if it's cool or metro-sexual yet though... :)

Anyway here is a pic:

Anyone know much about them, the dude at the shop said they were voted bass of year or something :huh:

Edited by minty fresh death

They are a relatively unknown bass. The quality I consider very high, on par with EBMM stuff pretty much. They do some very interesting twists on traditional Fenders (the California series) and some nice variations of Stingray-esque basses (Basic series).

I wouldn't say no to a Basic KT or California 5 PM.

A friend of mine has pretty much the same bass as pictured, only the 5-string version.

These are very well made and lovely to play, very comfortable. To my ears, they sound more mellow and less aggressive than, say, a typical Fender or Stingray. A bit more "civilised," if you will. I really like the California PM.

It´s Sand[b]berg[/b], BTW.

I played a Sandberg six string ( can't remember the model sorry!) in PMT in Birmingham and it was wonderful. Really easy to play and a good range of sounds. In fact I would say it was comparable to the Shuker I've tried but about a third less price wise.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='67318' date='Sep 29 2007, 11:47 AM']I played a Sandberg six string ( can't remember the model sorry!) in PMT in Birmingham and it was wonderful. Really easy to play and a good range of sounds. In fact I would say it was comparable to the Shuker I've tried but about a third less price wise.

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

Probably a Bullet Special 6 - looked like this pretty much ? (I've played it too).

[quote name='Machines' post='67431' date='Sep 29 2007, 05:56 PM']Probably a Bullet Special 6 - looked like this pretty much ? (I've played it too).

[/quote]

Yeah, could well be - was a lighter wood body IIRC. Was a while back, whenever the Marcus Miller clinic was.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='67449' date='Sep 29 2007, 06:49 PM']Like a Warwick. I find them a bit chunky although others obviously love em.[/quote]

Agreed,Ive tried a 5,which was nice,and very hefty,which is a tonal pluspoint with me,but I prefered the 2nd hand G&L that was in the corner (still the only 5 string that FELT like it was a 5 string in my hands).

nice finishes.....

But I do think there is better out there.

[quote name='Machines' post='67491' date='Sep 29 2007, 08:22 PM']I must have missed you then ! I saw Gary there..[/quote]

Ah I guess so. Yeah, I saw Gary, Gizmo ( not sure if he still posts here) and Pris who's involved with BassDay UK. Will have to come back up to PMT and have another play about - so many toys in that shop!

[quote name='paul, the' post='67236' date='Sep 29 2007, 04:29 AM']I like the mix of deep gorgeous wood and traditional styling. Would love to hear one, any sound clips exist?[/quote]

if you go to the sandberg site on the news page theres a nice video clip of a California PM in action. very nice - i want one!

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/"]http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/[/url]

peace

c

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='67477' date='Sep 29 2007, 07:57 PM']Like what, which 5 did you try and where?[/quote]

Im not a mega fan of the necks but top end Ibanez's are nice with decent pickups and electronics in them,Im not a fan of Warwicks,except the Dolphin,and some of the delux Fender 5s are nice (but I still dont think Fender as a company have cracked the 5 string sound yet) Hense this G&L (In Doncaster btw).

It felt like a 5 should and it fought back and its tone was consistant all over,not Jazzy or compressed,or player friendly nicey nice....dont offend the neighbours type of soft fusion.....it was BIG UGLY and wanted a fight and would kill your granny to get you to part with your wallet.*

(*ARGHspeak=Sounded like a P-Bass and not a girly Jazz...yeah I said GIRLY!!!Well it MADE me say that!)

I think my 5 string fretless sounds the best,aggro,gnarly,torn up fingerboard tone and it cuts through a rockband situation.....EMG P/U and 18v circuit y'see...fleabay buy for £200,cant go wrong.

Generally speaking ,for me,I like no lines,and active system on fretless,and you should hurl yourself into playing it,do the entire 1st set on fretless,oh and Roundwounds,with a touch of chorus from Boss.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='67284' date='Sep 29 2007, 09:42 AM']Tried one a few years ago and very nice bass. Good range of tones but the MM overpowered the J (common problem with this config) and I found the neck a bit german. If you like that they are great but I preferred the Laklands I tried at the same money.[/quote]

[quote name='bassmandan' post='67445' date='Sep 29 2007, 06:26 PM']er, what exactly does a German neck feel like BF? :)[/quote]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='67449' date='Sep 29 2007, 06:49 PM']Like a Warwick. I find them a bit chunky although others obviously love em.[/quote]

I played a Sandberg 5 and absoloutley loved it (had JJ pups), it played and sounded beatiful. I nearly bought it there and then, but it suffered from terrible neck dive which, for the money (around £1K), put me off. I am still considering one though. They are really well made instruments.

As a warwick owner I'm surprised that people feel it has a similar neck, the Warwicks have a much much chunkier neck, and the Sandberg's had a much flatter profile and wider string spacing (much more similar to my Yamaha TRB in fact) that said I'm comparing 5 string against 5 string, so the 4's maybe more similar?

Hi

I've got two Sandberg California PM's. On e is a custom shop 5er in banana/custard yellow with red tort and the other is a "standard" 4 string in bleu metallic and a vintage white/green pick guard. As far as I’m aware the electronics are identical (Delano Pickups and a Glock 2 band preamp) They have the same basic sound but actually sound different - the 5er is more dark and “meaty” and the 4 string has a brighter tone that lends it better for slap.

I also have a 70’s Fender p-bass, a Music Man stingray and a several Warwick’s so her is a a quick non-scientific a little comparison based on my memory and experience and not A/B-in g the basses:

Sandberg vs Fender P-bass:
- In passive mode with the P-bass pick-up soloed (with the treble tone control doubling as a passive tone control) you can actually dial in a very authentic P-bass tone. Roll of a bit top end and you have a great tone that lends itself for greasy funk, rock and blues. The tone is slightly “growlier” than the Fender and it has a better top end definition. With the pre amp activated you can get a very “modern” p-bass sound….a bit like a Warwick Streamer Stage One but with more midrange. Dial in some more low end and you get a tone that works well for dub and reggae.
- The neck is slimmer and more “modern” than the 70’s fender I have which is quite chunky IMHO. It reminds me more of the profile of the late 90’s Fender I had (that Beedster dubbed “Kylie”) than and older Pbass.

Sandberg vs MusicMan
- My Music man has the 2 bad EQ and actually sound very different that the Sandberg… it’s hard to replicate the vibe of a 25 year old MM!
- IMHO the Sandberg is more “aggressive” sounding and a lot more versatile as the EQ is a bit more efficient. The Sandberg has got a wicked slap tone and it also quite easy to dial in a very convincing “Jaco-esque” tone that cut through the mix for soloing

Sandberg vs Warick Streamer Stage 1 (p/j config)
- The Sandberg is again a bit more “forward leaning” when the Warwick tone is a bit more “contained”. l I think the difference is how the basses project midrange especially the low mid. With both pickups activated 50/50 I’d say that the Sandberg is definitely “fatter”, but the Warwick goes deeper and has better top end clarity.
- Both basses are very versatile and have a modern tone that helps cutting through a dense mix. I tend to use the Warwick at gigs with function bands and the Sandberg at “rock/funk” sessions.
- Neck profile is much slimmer than at least my newer Warwicks
- I also us a five string -92 Warwick Streamer Stage 1 with Bartolinis but that a completely different story…much darker and “organic” sounding than the 5 string Sandberg and on the whole an awesome bass as it’s got a very distinct tone that the Sandberg can’t do at all.

Edited by carlosfandango

[quote name='gilmour' post='67578' date='Sep 30 2007, 09:28 AM']As a warwick owner I'm surprised that people feel it has a similar neck, the Warwicks have a much much chunkier neck, and the Sandberg's had a much flatter profile and wider string spacing (much more similar to my Yamaha TRB in fact) that said I'm comparing 5 string against 5 string, so the 4's maybe more similar?[/quote]

+1. I tried a Sandberg Basic 4 string at PMT in Birmingham. This is the model with a single MM pickup and 3 band EQ. Fantastic bass. But the neck was much slimmer than my Warwick Corvette - in fact the whole feel and sound was different.

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='67601' date='Sep 30 2007, 10:49 AM']I've got two Sandberg California PM's. On e is a custom shop 5er in banana/custard yellow with red tort and the other is a "standard" 4 string in bleu metallic and a vintage white/green pick guard. As far as I’m aware the electronics are identical (Delano Pickups and a Glock 2 band preamp) They have the same basic sound but actually sound different - the 5er is more dark and “meaty” and the 4 string has a brighter tone that lends it better for slap.[/quote]
Carlos

I really liked the Sandberg Califonia 5 (JJ pups) but found it had really terrible neck dive, other than that I was really taken with the instrument. How do you find yours?

[quote name='gilmour' post='67664' date='Sep 30 2007, 01:58 PM']Carlos

I really liked the Sandberg Califonia 5 (JJ pups) but found it had really terrible neck dive, other than that I was really taken with the instrument. How do you find yours?[/quote]

hmmmm...I never thought about that actually so I guess I never seen that as a problem. I hang my basses fairly high (not under my chin tho...:) and use a quite broad strap so maybe that sorts i? That said, I do fell that other 5ers I use are better balanced e.g Lakland 5502 (exceptopnal balanced bass) and Warwick Streamers